Treating your room

HSL

Oct 25, 2009
I've got a treated room for mixing as I mostly do synth recording, but guitar and vocals as well. I'm happy for the most part with my setup because recording vocals in there sounds dry as needed, and getting a DI for synths only requires mixing, no miking required. There is a dilemma though and it concerns miking my cab in that room.

There is an overt sense of dryness when tracking guitars which I personally do not want for my mixes and style of music. It's cool for vocals and synths since I process those anyway, but I like to get things right at the source rather than fix them later so the 'liveliness' factor that I like on guitars isn't there. I use a bit of convolution reverb to add a bigger sense of space and liveliness (I'm especially fond of that predelay dial :)), but there's still a bit to be desired.

I've heard others say that treating a room is the same, period, for tracking and mixing, but I beg to differ: it depends on application. I think I'd rather a dry/mixing/control room for vocals and synths, etc, and have a room treated specifically for tracking guitars/drums, perhaps with some diffusion if needed. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on having only a single room to track and how everyone would go about treating a mixing and a tracking room - the differences.

for a control room, different sound treatment is needed. (positioning)
some people have ceiling panels, some have side panels, some have a panel between your main monitors, some have gobos behind
them if your room is not rectangular ( long from your back to your face )
some people like to have completley dead room for recording sound sources , which is what ALOT of people like.
some people (such as myself) like to deaden it a bit and have some wood on the walls. ( 70's house basements )
cause, wood has good reflection for certain guitar tones or drums( i dont know how good it would sound for metal though.

hope that helps adleast a little bit
goodluck