ATTN: People who know room acoustics.

schnykeees

Jun 17, 2010
I need some help, seeing as how I'm not the most knowledgeable on the particular subject... I have a room that I might convert into a small tracking space. Just wanting to know if I should even bother... here are the dimensions.

Length: 10 feet
Width: 10 1/2 feet
Heigth: 8 feet

Here's the tricky part... the ceiling angles down 51 inches from the 10 1/2 foot wall and connects at the opposing wall at 51 inches from the floor. Basically, it's like a 45ish degree angle. On the floor, all corners are 90 degree angles, same with ceiling except for where the ceiling angles down, I'm assuming those angles are 135 degrees.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being THE BEST) how acoustically sound is this room for tracking and mixing? I might turn it into a tracking room.. or a mixing room. Not sure yet.

Without actually seeing/hearing the room, the dimensions lead me to believe that it's going to be a less-than-optimal (a nice way of saying it) room for recording/mixing. It's nearly square, the ceilings are low, and the walls are parallel, which are all factors that will work against you.

With some good treatment, you can probably make it useable, but it will most likely never be ideal for professional audio that requires a good room for recording/critical listening (but will be fine for demoing/close mic overdubs/editing/etc.).

hey man! get a room mode calculator. as far as i can see with the data you gave, your room is going to be very resonant around the 56.5 hz, 113.6 Hz, 169.5Hz and 211Hz.
if you do it a tracking room just make sure the mic positions are not in a node or antinode of this freqs. you should try to generate that frequencies in your room and listen around. You'll find the hot spots , the nulls and the sweet ones.
you will never get rid of the modes of a room but can be wise and position the mics or monitor elements and listener in a wise position.
When i mean nodes and anti nodes I mean that in a certain location of your room that certain freq i gave you will be very loud (antinode) or the case of a node where you don't even hear that freq in certain spots.
who you can minimize the impact of the room modes?... well trying to play with the dimensions of your room or if you have low budget search the sweet spot where there is the minimum impact in the frequency range of that room resonances.
These is a very simple room mode calculator and you can play with dimensions and the point is to find a good ratio between walls that all the spikes of the graph are well distributed and not too close from another.

schnykeees_room.JPG

schnykeees_room2.JPG