Room acoustics, clients and genelec

Dec 29, 2010
Colorado
I'm curious about genelec's "autocal" function in the 8000 series and here's why. I record and mix in a small room. And the acoustics are horrible. It's treated to some degree (got about 5 panels up on the walls) but still sounds like complete ass in there. I have learned what will and will not sound good when I take it out by now but I'm honestly tired of the subtle look of horror on their faces while we are tracking and roughly mixing everything. And honestly it leaves me completely uninspired when writing my own stuff because it's that bad at the listening position. Anyone out there know if picking up some genelecs with this function is going to be worth it? How well does it work?

Well I'm using auralex panels and I have reflection traps in the right spots, speakers are angled correctly and the listening position is on the triangle. Bass traps in two corners and kind of ghetto rigged in the other two. And other carefully placed panels. The problem is that I'm renting so I can't exactly start tearing shit apart and the other problem is the room is the size of a small bedroom. I've tried everything I can think of to treat it as best I could but it doesn't want to cooperate. So I figured if I added in monitors that could automatically take care of acoustical issues then that would be the best and last option I got. I just don't want to throw down a couple grand on new speakers if they don't do a good job.

Well I'm using auralex panels and I have reflection traps in the right spots, speakers are angled correctly and the listening position is on the triangle. Bass traps in two corners and kind of ghetto rigged in the other two. And other carefully placed panels. The problem is that I'm renting so I can't exactly start tearing shit apart and the other problem is the room is the size of a small bedroom. I've tried everything I can think of to treat it as best I could but it doesn't want to cooperate. So I figured if I added in monitors that could automatically take care of acoustical issues then that would be the best and last option I got. I just don't want to throw down a couple grand on new speakers if they don't do a good job.

If a room mode is cancelling out a specific frequency where you are sitting, no speaker in the world will bring that frequency back. If you're working in a tiny room which has been acoustically treated but still sounds bad a pair of expensive monitors won't fix that, unfortunately...

Auralex is pretty useless under 1k. No monitor, eq or magic wand will fix acoustic problems. In fact, the wider range the speaker response the worse it will sound in an untreated room. You can hang 4'x2'x4" panels with heavy picture hooks. It doesn't involve any destruction. You can also get floor stands if you want.

What everyone said. DIY some thick (4" or more) panels of glass/rockwool for the first reflection points (side walls & ceiling!), and even more thicker for the corners (wall/wall, wall/ceiling, etc). As many as you can afford. Smaller panels 2-6" panels can be made from denser wool and thicker from "fluffier" stuff, but whatever you can get easily and/or cheap works. :)
A great way to start in the corners would be to just stack bales of wool on top of each other and cover with cloth so as to not look so ghetto.

As I understand it, the DSP in the 82xx series work best when you've treated the room and just want that little extra that would cost too much to do otherwise. Good monitors are good monitors, but as you're not just listening to the monitors, you're listening to the monitors inside the room, I'd first get it sorted and only then think about upgrading monitors.

Also, don't forget about the whole setup; how you're monitors are located in the room and where you sit in relation to them. Experimenting with different placements for the monitors can sometimes be the cheapest way to get a decent sound out of the room.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/stud...tics-treatment-reference-guide-look-here.html

Well like I said its not such a huge deal to me because I know what does and does not work for the most part but it's just irritating having to read the bands a disclaimer about how my room sounds like shitballs and that they need not worry about the final product. It's something I just gotta deal with I guess. No biggie. I was just curious to see if anyone had experience with the "self correcting" Genelecs. Thanks guys