Wiccans, Druids, and all that shit...

Maelstrom

Metal is the Law!
Jan 27, 2002
Adelaide
www.theharrowed.com
Now, I want someone to explain this whole wicca thing to me. If there’s a trend that needs to be eliminated I think that it’s right up there on the list. A friend of mine, actually more of this idiot that I know told me the other day “I know you don’t really like the whole wiccan thing, but I’m not really into that… I’m more of a druid.” “Actually, you’re more of a dickhead” was what my mind was responding. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to slag off anyone’s beliefs, well actually I probably do:)

No, seriously, does anyone know anyone who claims to be a witch or whatever? What do you think of these people, are they just trendy tryhards or are they serious and passionate about their cause?

Is she serious??

I see.......And what does this training entail I wonder. Run a couple of laps, blood at half time, turning into a bat? :D:)

Yes, please do. I'd love to ask her a few questions.

Wiccans are (the *real* ones!) what hippies wish they were. They worship nature in all its' forms & live by the "Harm none" philosophy. Generally very gentle people....

Then you do get the wanna-be's... most of them, like any *wanna-be* should pull their heads outta their arses & get a life.

;)

Originally posted by Dakk
Wiccans are (the *real* ones!) what hippies wish they were. They worship nature in all its' forms & live by the "Harm none" philosophy. Generally very gentle people....

Then you do get the wanna-be's... most of them, like any *wanna-be* should pull their heads outta their arses & get a life.

;)

what he said!

Absolutely...

The day I see someone fly to work on a broom I'll be an instant convert, but from what I've read the whole wiccan thing started about 50 years ago. Hardly the ancient magic that I've been led to believe.

:lol:

50 years ago!? HAHAHA... Dude - hippies (wiccan wanna-be's) started about then.

Wiccans have been around for centuries. The Christian crusades were all about burning 'witches' ("modern" word for those who practiced "Wicca" - wiccans) - people who worshipped natural laws & nature itself instead of "god" & punished for being heathens....

Flying on broomsticks is cartoon witches - not real ones. :D

:p

That's what the perception is. The situation you're referring to is more so medicine and herbal women that had the shit kicked out of them.

I'm pretty sure the actual term "wicca" has not been around very long at all. It was coined 50 years or so ago to start a new movement of a long dead ideal. It's a case of drawing incorrect parallels and associations between ancient folklore and a modern day trend. I think that this modern day trend has no historical basis past 50 years. I'd appreciate further enlightenment though.

I'm sure I've had many a spell cast against me already for this thread.:):D

I don't actually see anything wrong with having a faith, as long as you understand that that is all it is. It does not make you a superior wielder of ancient powers. Focus - whether in form of prayer/spell/chant/meditation - gets the thumbs up from me.

As long as it's in moderation:) Nothing shits me more than the monks that chant all day everyday claiming to have found enlightenment and contributing nothing to their fellow human. I know one or two people who could use those bodies that they're putting to waste.

*I told you my rant mode was permanently on:)*

I would be asking you what world are you living in????
A true follower of the "wiccan" ways would not be so shallow as to cast spells just for someones beliefs.
It has been proven that this belief system has been around for centuries....different parts of the world have different words to use.....they all mean the same thing! One who worships all of nature and is true to the land etc etc.
I would be inclined to believe the sources of your information have been written by someone who doesn't have all the facts or comes from a religious back ground.
Dakk is in fact reffering to "wiccan women" (men are able to follow this belief as well you know).....medicine and herbal women as you call them were in fact practicing parts of this belief system.There are many factors that need to go into following the "wiccan" or pagan or what ever word the practician chooses to use.Knowing about the uses of herbs is but one minor (but significant)part...by knowing this you are also able to heal with the use of herbs.
I could go on and on with all of this but I believe you would not be swayed in your thoughts.I respect that but you also need to keep in mind it is best not to persecute a belief system unless you have all the facts...I do this when it comes to speaking against any organised religion...I don't understand them enough but know I don't agree with what I do know(this means I don't speak out against them in a demeaning manor).....maybe you need to take heed of this and do the same!

Seeking clarification is what I'm about. I feel that it has become the greatest fashion trend in recent times to start sporting the "Pagan" ethos. Yet, I know no one who can actually claim to have any factual documented evidence of the existence of these "ancient religions" to support connection with today's movements. Where is this proof that it's been around for centuries? Seems like a lot of heresay and conjecture more so than varied sources of documentation that can correllate to provide insight.

Like I said, I think that having a concept of faith is a good thing, and in fact I believe it's essential for some people in order to find happiness.

The two paths to happiness in my opinion are to either:
- Abandon all expectation.
or
- Gratitude.

I think that religion is good because it gives people gratitude in their lives. Without gratitude we tend to feel we have a pact with nature that just does not exist in reality.

All I want to know is why do all these "Witches" claim to have access to this knowledge of ages past?

As for the world that I live in, it is one of clarity, logic, truth and compassion. As opposed to having my mind sponsored by TV trends. Note, this is not a direct dig at you my friend - the people I respect and appreciate the most are those who are honest and have an opinion. It's just my opinion that the majority of the modern western youth is the target of an strategy to undermine their intelligence and mindset. All factors of religion have this aspect to it, I just find this particular belief system interesting because some of it's members claim it predates the "established" religions and has "occult" powers.

The truest magic I've witnessed is the power of a chinese kung fu grandmaster. That's the closest thing to magic that I've ever been witness to, despite having lived with quite a large number of witches, pagans, buddhists, and other such people claiming to have spiritual influence on a vast scale.

The small elements of slagging off in my initial posts were in hindsight most disrespectful and directed more so at individuals who I have a bit of a grudge against and thus I retract them. Would people be making this the fastest growing religion in the world though if it wasn't for the excessive tv marketing that it's getting??

Let me know your thoughts.

With respect,

Darren

:lol: This is a "trend" that I think has been happening for a while... I *do* know some "wiccans" & they don't have their heads up their arses like some wanna-be Byron Bay latte sipping type "hippy"... The western world & it's influences, it's psychic-squashing doctrines don't allow everyone to be what they could be... I think the "trend" is an *attempt* to be true to nature, though I dare say *most* of these people are sheep with no clue.

Laws of nature - you say there's no such thing? "a pact with nature that just does not exist in reality." :eek:

The Kung Fu grandmaster you spoke of. What 'magic' was it you saw/experienced? The laws of nature & universal energy abounds in martial art masters. My Aikido teacher was half my size & when I approached him I could FEEL a ball of energy around him like you wouldn't believe. He'd throw me across the room with a smile on his face & with no effort at all. This is 'natural' energy. It's everywhere. You are part of it & so am I. Therefore we MUST have a pact with it - we ARE IT. To feel the energy that we are all part of, to 'go with it' or harness it is an attestment to the existence of it. Ask the Grandmaster if natural law's or energies are real - he'll show you! ;)

I absolutely agree that they are real, but what I'm talking about is the way people treat themselves as if they have free licence to a spot on this planet. Nature doesn't give a shit if you're a nice guy, you can still be the one struck down by a drunk driver tomorrow, no matter how in tune with these energies you are. That's why I think we should be grateful for this existence.

The things that I'm talking about are when you see someone like a martial arts master transcend the boundaries of normal human achievement. It's hard to into specifics with this sort of thing, especially to someone who's studied the japanese arts over the chinese ones. The differences aren't easily put into text very well, but if I was in the same room as you I could describe what I'm talking about easier.

As a point though, I'm sure your sensei didn't chant at a crystal for fifteen years to gain this power. My ex-housemate used to involve himself in this practice in order to gain 'physical powers'. I didn't see it, still don't.

Alas, we've strayed somewhat from the original question.

Curiousity drives me to find out more about these people and their ideals in the hope that the ones I've met have been the "bad apples" of the bunch. I guess in a nutshell I want someone to stand up that shows me the exclusive benefits of the ethos. Each religions got it's lifestyle and perks, I want to know about the modern wiccan/pagan/druid ones. Anyone??