Will I fry something if I do this? (Attenuator question)

SimonTaddio_Qc

Headbanger
Feb 25, 2010
Quebec, Can
Hey guys,

I recently got myself a power attenuator to play my Krank at my apartment. Bought it from some guy on eBay.
It is a cheap one, compared to the HopPlate and the Weber. One single knob, that's it.
It is meant to be plugged in the Fx Loop.

But I've been thinking...

Will I fry something if I put this device between my head and cab?
I thought this may feed my power section more, hence getting a better tone, because so far, I didn't had quite amazing results.
What are the differences between the preamp output and the cab output (impedence, electrical things)?

I hope I'm making some sense here.

Any help appreciated

Thats just a volume knob, not a power attenuator. You will almost definitely fry something.

If it boosts the output level of your preamp it might fry your poweramp.
If your amp has 4 power amp tubes, its easier and safer to remove a pair which cuts your wattage in half(Make sure you remove the right ones or you will fry it.).
.. it will still be almost as loud though, but the poweramp starts breaking up ALLOT sooner.

Keep in mind that cheap = worse in 85% of the cases.. never buy something like this without reading up on it before hand.

Keep in mind that cheap = worse in 85% of the cases.. never buy something like this without reading up on it before hand.

I know, and I thought about it a lot. I've come to the conclusion that I just needed something to lower the volume of the Rev1 (pretty fucking loud thing, you know...), just so I can jam a bit with it at home. I'm fucking tired of amp sims. I got no intention of recording/reamping with it, so I settled for a cheap one.

I've also thought about disconnecting 2 speakers from my 4x12. I guess that would change my impedance, but I've got it switchable on the head. Maybe that + disconnecting 2 power tubes would do it, volume-wise?

If it boosts the output level of your preamp it might fry your poweramp.
It doesn't, it can only lower it. When the knob is maxed out, there's no volume loss, when it's turned down, there's no volume at all.

I've also thought about disconnecting 2 speakers from my 4x12. I guess that would change my impedance, but I've got it switchable on the head. Maybe that + disconnecting 2 power tubes would do it, volume-wise?

Switching from 4 speakers to 2 will do allot more to your output level then disconnecting the power tubes.
Sounds like a good idea if you are willing to do the work!

It doesn't, it can only lower it. When the knob is maxed out, there's no volume loss, when it's turned down, there's no volume at all.

Then its safe to use, but totally worthless as it lowers the preamp signal(Which means that it doesnt affect the power amp apart from more noise.).

Dude seriously, if your not pro gigging just get a Rev JR. Totally worth it. I LOVE MINE! Its plenty quiet enough for home use and plenty loud enough for club gigs.

I've been looking at the Krankenstein Jr. 20w since it came out.
I'm not ready to let go of my Rev 1. When I have kinda-big gigs, I'm the happiest guy when I can do justice to my awesome amp and push it a bit.

But now I parted with my practice amp, and regret it. :lol:

Then its safe to use, but totally worthless as it lowers the preamp signal(Which means that it doesnt affect the power amp apart from more noise.).

Yeah, I guess that's what it's meant to do...
What I was thinking is putting that before my cab, and not before the power section

Get yourself a Krank 1x12 cab and a 16 ohm Hotplate and you will be happy.
I've got a Rev1 and a Chad single, 4x12 Rev cab and 2x12 Krank cab.
Hotplate works great and doesn't screw up the tone on the -4 and -8 settings.
-12 and higher, it gets a little weird.
Tried the pulling two tubes (either the outside two or the inside two- ALSO move OT tap switch down one notch - 8 ohm setting for 16 ohm cab, etc)
I personally did not care for this arrangement, but Shadows Fall ran their stage Revs like that, pulled two tubes and WFO.

EDIT: Your "attenuator" will not make you happy. Krank amps run a very hot loop signal, trim it back and they don't sound good.

Get yourself a Krank 1x12 cab and a 16 ohm Hotplate and you will be happy.
I've got a Rev1 and a Chad single, 4x12 Rev cab and 2x12 Krank cab.
Hotplate works great and doesn't screw up the tone on the -4 and -8 settings.
-12 and higher, it gets a little weird.
Tried the pulling two tubes (either the outside two or the inside two- ALSO move OT tap switch down one notch - 8 ohm setting for 16 ohm cab, etc)
I personally did not care for this arrangement, but Shadows Fall ran their stage Revs like that, pulled two tubes and WFO.

EDIT: Your "attenuator" will not make you happy. Krank amps run a very hot loop signal, trim it back and they don't sound good.

Yeah, I guess the Hot Plate or the Weber with the speaker stuff is the best way to go...
I just have a hard time realizing I'd have to pay 350-400 bucks to get less tone than I actually have.
That's why I tried a 30-bucks one on Ebay first

Did you check out their Nineteen80 amp? Looks cool from what I've seen, they still got that sweep knob, which I find very cool on a Marshall-ish amp.

Yeah, I guess the Hot Plate or the Weber with the speaker stuff is the best way to go...
I just have a hard time realizing I'd have to pay 350-400 bucks to get less tone than I actually have.
That's why I tried a 30-bucks one on Ebay first

Did you check out their Nineteen80 amp? Looks cool from what I've seen, they still got that sweep knob, which I find very cool on a Marshall-ish amp.

I played the pre-production demo for about two hours.
Awesome! Gets real mean with a Krankshaft in front.
"Classic" tone, not modern, but with the Krank aggressiveness. Two 6550's for 80 watts, but it is real freakin' loud like anything Krank....