Will the Pre-Party be on the main stage again next year?

I am torn about the pre-party this year. We got a much better 'show', no question in my mind. What I miss about the smaller venue is the fact in the big hall, you have to watch the show OR go chat with friends during bands sets. Historically, the pre-party has been my warm up and chat night with friends from years past (and I could do both from the same place).

I didn't care for the Pre Party in the bigger venue. It didn't have that 'party' feel to it at all. As said above, it was a chance to meet up with friends I've not seen in a year and watch some great bands...at the same time. I also really missed the gold badge room. Bascially it felt like just another day added to the festival, and I was not prepared for that.

With that being said.....it was an awesome show!

metalsped said:
I am torn about the pre-party this year. We got a much better 'show', no question in my mind. What I miss about the smaller venue is the fact in the big hall, you have to watch the show OR go chat with friends during bands sets. Historically, the pre-party has been my warm up and chat night with friends from years past (and I could do both from the same place).

Yup.

kellsco said:
I didn't care for the Pre Party in the bigger venue. It didn't have that 'party' feel to it at all. As said above, it was a chance to meet up with friends I've not seen in a year and watch some great bands...at the same time. I also really missed the gold badge room. Bascially it felt like just another day added to the festival, and I was not prepared for that.

With that being said.....it was an awesome show!

Yeah..what she said. :)

Maybe it could still be done on the mainstage with a special area at the other place for GB holders? I really thought that it was great seeing more people at the pre-party!

From this point on, I don't think there is any way you're going to get the calibur of bands like Circle II Circle, Circus Maximus, and Leatherwolf playing on that ridiculously small stage upstairs. What a disservice it would be to the bands. If you were any of the bands above, would you rather play in the corner of a small dark smoke-filled room with low ceiling , or would you rather play in front of 800+ people on a full stage with full light show, full sound system, and recording and video capabilities to boot? :lol: Center Stage was filled for most of the pre-party, and for the last couple of acts, the venue looked as full as it is for most Friday and Saturday acts.

If you were the promoter, would you rather limit yourself to selling 300 tickets (instead of 800) just so people have more time to talk when the bands are playing? If you're a promoter, can you spend more on booking national/international bands by selling 300 tickets or 800 tickets?

For everyone who wants the pre party to be even better next year, it's not going to get any better if it gets put back upstairs just to give patrons a smaller, pre-party feel of years past. The cat is out of the box. If you want to put the cat back in the box, then be prepared for lesser known regional acts that most people have never heard of - just for the sake of being able to chit-chat/socialize while watching a band at the same time. Frankly, I don't know how anyone can chat with a band playing, regardless of venue (and especially in a small club like the Vinyl or Loft).

The doors open an hour before the show, the vendor room is open all day, the hallways and bars at Center Stage are open for mingling and signings during all 3 nights, and the Vinyl is open after the show ends. How much more time do people need to socialize? :erk:

The Fiddler said:
From this point on, I don't think there is any way you're going to get the calibur of bands like Circle II Circle, Circus Maximus, and Leatherwolf playing on that ridiculously small stage upstairs. What a disservice it would be to the bands. If you were any of the bands above, would you rather play in the corner of a small dark smoke-filled room with low ceiling , or would you rather play in front of 800+ people on a full stage with full light show, full sound system, and recording and video capabilities to boot? :lol: Center Stage was filled for most of the pre-party, and for the last couple of acts, the venue looked as full as it is for most Friday and Saturday acts.

If you were the promoter, would you rather limit yourself to selling 300 tickets (instead of 800) just so people have more time to talk when the bands are playing? If you're a promoter, can you spend more on booking national/international bands by selling 300 tickets or 800 tickets?

For everyone who wants the pre party to be even better next year, it's not going to get any better if it gets put back upstairs just to give patrons a smaller, pre-party feel of years past. The cat is out of the box. If you want to put the cat back in the box, then be prepared for lesser known regional acts that most people have never heard of - just for the sake of being able to chit-chat/socialize while watching a band at the same time. Frankly, I don't know how anyone can chat with a band playing, regardless of venue (and especially in a small club like the Vinyl or Loft).

The doors open an hour before the show, the vendor room is open all day, the hallways and bars at Center Stage are open for mingling and signings during all 3 nights, and the Vinyl is open after the show ends. How much more time do people need to socialize? :erk:

couldn't have said any of it better meself.

The Fiddler said:
If you want to put the cat back in the box, then be prepared for lesser known regional acts that most people have never heard of - just for the sake of being able to chit-chat/socialize while watching a band at the same time.

Yeah, we have had some real crappy bands up until this fest's pre-party :loco::lol:

metalsped said:
You know, as much as I really enjoyed the "show" being 3 days, I really did kind of miss that too. Can't have everything. :Smug:

I lioved it this year I would say leave it in main venue, If the bands are going to remain bigger.. If it goes back to unsigned badass bands, I think upstairs is a perfect place. At least they have that option still...

Bear

Bear said:
I lioved it this year I would say leave it in main venue, If the bands are going to remain bigger.. If it goes back to unsigned badass bands, I think upstairs is a perfect place. At least they have that option still...

Bear

I liked it this year as well but I thought the whole point of the pre-party originally was to expose unsigned bands or smaller (for lack of a better term!) name bands to a target audience. I can't say I didn't have a blast this year and loved the bands but I also think that the pre-party should maybe have one big-name band and the rest be more unfamiliar bands. . Just my opinion of course as everyone has their own. It's not like what I say will be what happens. I'll just go with flow...we'll have fun regardless!

sheri

The Fiddler said:

BRAVO!

I liked the 'upgrade' to more established bands this year. I miss the GB room too, but perhaps another perk could be added for the GB holders, such as maybe the VIP room to mingle with bands or maybe the backstage area. As many of us as there, that would present the only real challenge. This could be a cool benefit for those of us who want something signed so we don't have to wait in a long line, missing bands during the festival itself. I think the extension of additional headliner caliber bands makes the expense and the trip even more worth it. I still believe that up and coming bands deserve some promotion at the event, but maybe they could just be allowed to pimp their wares and demos out to the crowds? I don't know...I had a freakin blast this year and all in all, didn't miss anything