Will this damage my guitar amp?

"Evil" Aidy

Mörti Viventi
Jul 15, 2007
Stamford, Lincs
Ok, so I've been testing out the pre-amp output on my Peavey Classic Chorus 212 combo recently and running it into my Firepod (line in) and then using the Curve EQ pack in conjuction with various cab impulses to get various tones.

As the amp is quite loud and to avoid complaints from the neigbours, I've disconnected the speakers.

Will this cause any damage to my equipment?

P.S. It is a solid state amplifier if that makes a difference.:erk:

i did a google search for "playing solid state amp without speaker load" found several forums with the topic discussed.
seems as though you can run solid state amps without a load.
i think your safe to drop a load!!!

with solid state you have to pay attention that the load isn't smaller as the minimum load described in the manual or at the back of the amp. other than that with most amps you should be safe, although I had a ss amp that died without a load attached. it's a matter of how they were build. best (safest way) would be if you write a mail to the support.

[quote="Evil" Aidy;7110435]Ok, so I've been testing out the pre-amp output on my Peavey Classic Chorus 212 combo recently and running it into my Firepod (line in) and then using the Curve EQ pack in conjuction with various cab impulses to get various tones.

As the amp is quite loud and to avoid complaints from the neigbours, I've disconnected the speakers.

Will this cause any damage to my equipment?

P.S. It is a solid state amplifier if that makes a difference.:erk:[/quote]

Yeah its no problem at all

Peavey tech support

@elmucho...
oh you're from the peavey tech support? mind if I ask you something? is it normal that the first valve in a 6505 doesn't glow (the three others do)?

@elmucho...
oh you're from the peavey tech support? mind if I ask you something? is it normal that the first valve in a 6505 doesn't glow (the three others do)?

Nope that sounds broken to me.. All valves should be glowing. without going to far off topic how long ago did you last revalve the amp?

If you're going from the FX send to the audio interface, wouldn't the amp be silent anyway since there's no signal going into the power amp? Or does it have a dedicated line out that doesn't mute the amp?

If you're going from the FX send to the audio interface, wouldn't the amp be silent anyway since there's no signal going into the power amp? Or does it have a dedicated line out that doesn't mute the amp?

My amp a couple of pre-amp outputs on the back, one with the chorus effect and one without.

Neither mute the amp when in use. Nor does the FX loop.

Yeah its no problem at all

Peavey tech support

BIG THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Peavey Classic Chorus 2x12 RULES. Had my one since about 93/94 although one of the scorpion speakers is on the way out after years of cranking the volume on it :lol:

I still love the "Super Saturation" distortion tone :)

I even used to use this as a vocal monitor at times! (Which probably didn't do it any good..!)

got it back. they fucked up the soldering with the tube sockets. looks like china isn't the only one who cannot solder properly ;)
just kidding. I know factory made electronics have a certain amount that's fucked up. got it back and it kicks ass!