Will this MacBook be able to handle Logic?

Gujukal

May 19, 2012
Sweden
I'm planning on buying a cheap MacBook to use for basic tasks in Logic Pro 9 to learn the software. I've found a used MacBook late 2008 Alu with Intel C2D 2.0 Ghz, 8 GB DDR3 and 120 GB SSD. Will this be able to run Logic Pro 9 without too much of a problem? Im a bit concerned that the CPU is too weak but im mostly going to use the stock plug ins so it will not be too processing heavy i guess. I got my PC with 4,5 GHz, 16GB ram for that ;)

I'm pretty sure that macbook's max ram is 4GBs. If you can get the owner to screenshot the 'About this Mac' window you will be able to see if was able to utilize the 8GBs. If it did then it will be grand for Logic. I'm running a 2.4GHz C2D with 4GB of ram and it runs pretty well. If I run into problems I just bounce in place or freeze tracks. The SSD drive will really help to.

I don't know man...Rated at 1228, http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Duo+T6400+@+2.00GHz, thats not that great but not the worse. I don't know about laptops or macs but I used to have a CPU on my pc that rated around 1500, it was okay, couldn't run that many plugins at once. So I upgraded to a CPU around 3300 (which is still not that great, I have an old PC lol) and it made a world of difference.

I have an early 2011 Mac with 4gb ram (drawnacrol is correct, 4 is the maximum), 2.3ghz processor. I'm running Reaper with PodFarm, EZ Drummer, and other stuff. It runs smoothly, but the fan is on high pretty much all the time when I'm playing back or recording (though not editing). I just worry you might wear out a 2008 MBP and that some component would give, but it should be fine in the short term.

I wont record much on it, it will be more for practice mixing and to learn Logic. I will probably using some Pod Farm 2.0 but thats not CPU-heavy? And maybe Zombass and some stock drum plug in. It shouldn't be much of an issue with lag if im not recording and just mixing right? My biggest concern is that Logic will crash all the time, but with 8 GB ram it should be fine i hope. I will get it for around 550 dollar with accessories, so it should be pretty sweet considering a new one goes for at least 1600 dollar here in Sweden.

You'd be surprised. When I check the activity monitor it can get up to 150% at times (the dual CPU means it can max out at 200). Really though, you can't do 8gb RAM! Macbooks only have slots for 4 gb max. At least as far as I know. But yeah, you should be okay.

The seller told me that it is two 4GB sticks and in system preferences he said it shows that his MacBook has two ram slots with 4GB each. So i guess i have to trust him, otherwise I will force him to sell it cheaper :p

^ Get him to send a screenshot like this:
about-this-mac.png

It depends on some of the components wether 6 or 8Gb can be utilized.

I'd just buy a new PC laptop at that price. $550 for an outdated Mac is a pretty crap price compared to what you could get with a PC (Core i5, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, etc.). You wouldn't be able to use Logic, but you'd have a much more powerful computer that will stay relevant for more years.

As I stated in my previous posts, I already own a powerful PC (4,5 GHz i5, 16 GB, 1TB HDD + 60 GB SSD, GTX 670) which will still be my main computer but i want a Mac for learning Logic since thats the software we are using at university, but i also going to use it as laptop and browse the web with it etc. Hope this explains my requirements :)