Windows 7 install HALP

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, trying to breathe some life back into my laptop by installing W7 Pro 64-bit using an external DVD drive (the internal one doesn't work) and a brand new HDD - the system boots up and goes through the usual POST routine fine, recognizes the install disc in the external drive, and starts loading the files.

However, after that it goes to the "starting Windows" screen (black, with the little swirly animation in the center) - the animation starts, but almost immediately after freezes and won't go any further (and it stops reading from the disc). Any thoughts? Processor is an Intel T9300 C2D btw

Which phase of install is this during? It boots off the DVD, does the install portion where it asks to format the disk, there's a reboot. Phase 2 is completely hands off and then it reboots again. Phase 3 asks for user info and sets up the desktop. Just asking because it's doing vastly different things during each portion and it'd gimme a guess about what could be causing the fail.

Other question is, is it Win7SP1?

Try installing in safe mode, take out extra ram if you have a lot and disable unnecessary stuff in the bios. Also check if your ram has the right speed set in the bios.

Figured it out, turns out it was the 4 GB stick of RAM I had purchased (now that I'll be able to take advantage of it), despite being the same manufacturer and specs as the 2 GB stick that was in there - no matter what, whenever the 4 GB is inserted it always locks up on the "Starting Windows" screen :confused: (even when I tried it after successfully installing and configuring W7). Hopefully I can get a warranty claim, or else that was $60 down the drain :Smug: (bought it in like January, only got around to trying it now)

Anyway, thanks guys!

Marcus you should be able to fix that, if you can give me the details on what the specs are for the 2GB and then the 4GB I could be of more help.

As I previously mentioned, check your settings to do with RAM speed and voltage in the BIOS; However if you aren't clued up on the BIOS try clearing your CMOS first before you send the RAM back: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm

You won't be able to return the RAM as you normally only get 7-14 days and then 30 days if the company offer that. But if you say you only just tried it and it was DOA (Dead on Arrival) then they may replace it and you can try again. But I imagine if your BIOS is set up for a different speed/voltage RAM and it doesn't change automatically then that is the problem. Before you clear your CMOS go into your BIOS and check if you have your disks set up for AHCI or IDE as you'll need to keep that setting when you boot back into Windows.

Cleared CMOS, restored HDD mode to IDE (as it was before), tried the 4 gig stick in both slots, and about all I got out of it was the computer now at least having the decency to blue screen me right after "Starting Windows" (rather than just locking up). Also, I scoured the BIOS setup screen, but it was quite sparse, and had no mention of RAM voltage or speed.

"Just as I thought - it's fucked"

Thanks for the help though dude!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and here's a pic of the good 2 gig stick and the shitty 4 (maybe Mushkin Essentials is like the Squier to Mushkin's Fender? :loco: )

01RAMFront.jpg

And some BIOS shots:

03BIOS1.jpg

which leads to...

04BIOS2.jpg

That sucks! Your BiOS is so limited, old mobo I guess. Put the hdd in ahci if it's there and try reinstalling. If that doesn't work then the ram is definitely pooped, if it works with just the 2gb then yep.

Squire ram haha