Windows plugins on Mac: The solution

Let it burn...

Orgasm Donor
Oct 22, 2007
Belgium
First of: being a die hard Mac user, I got kinda sick and tired of the Windows users having all the cool free plugins (all the Nick Crowe stuff, the SoloC) that I as a Mac user wasn't able to run unless I used bootcamp. There was no cheap way of running these plugs in OSX but I think I've found a solution.

Some of you might know "Crossover" from Codeweavers. It basically allows Mac users to run certain PC games and apps native in OSX. I already owned it (only way to play TF2 on mac) so yesterday I thought about installing a small DAW that was capable of using VST's so that I can reamp some stuff using those free amp sim plugins. The first thing that came to mind was Reaper. I worked with it before back in my Windows days and it's small and if it works I could still buy a license.

So I downloaded the 3.0 trail and as usual Crossover automatically recognizes the install. Everything goes smooth and it booted up quite nicely. I opened up the audio devices menu and here's where I had my first problem. Crossover doesn't recognize audio interfaces but instead, it just sends it's audio to the default interface that you've selected in OSX. So if you want to use your Mbox like me, you should make this your default input and output of OSX.

The Driver that send your audio back and forth is called WaveOut. Here's a screenshot of my settings (buffersize included):

zmfdzc.jpg

So now that we have input and output, I installed some plugins (8505, Solo_C and Boogex) and plugged my guitar into my Mbox. Everything worked like a charm with just a tiny bit of latency but I couldn't get a lower buffer size without artifacts.

Here's a screenshot of the final result:

11uyz9k.jpg

Happy shredding :headbang:

Excellent work dude! I'll have to give this a shot as I'm planning on switching over to Windows purely for the free plugins.
Your screenshots are blocked here in work, just wondering how bad your latency was?
Have you tried running anything in VMware etc.?

Excellent work dude! I'll have to give this a shot as I'm planning on switching over to Windows purely for the free plugins.
Your screenshots are blocked here in work, just wondering how bad your latency was?
Have you tried running anything in VMware etc.?

latency wasn't that bad (11ms). You sure are able to play live using this method but I'm also pretty sure that most mac users can get lower latency using a smaller buffer size (i'm using a macbook white lolz). If you plan on using it purely for reamping just as me, it's perfect.

I haven't used VMWare but I read that it works the same as crossover (sending audio back and forth to OSX)

latency wasn't that bad (11ms). You sure are able to play live using this method but I'm also pretty sure that most mac users can get lower latency using a smaller buffer size (i'm using a macbook white lolz). If you plan on using it purely for reamping just as me, it's perfect.

I haven't used VMWare but I read that it works the same as crossover (sending audio back and forth to OSX)

Yeah the only thing putting me off VMware is having a Windows install run on top of OS X - so Windows would only have about half the RAM!

If you're able to play live using Crossover then it should defo work for me, I have the black Macbook which can only take a max of 2GB of RAM!

Bah, I got kind of excited about this and then I found out it works on Intel Macs only. Boooooooooooo.

I really need to make the jump to an Intel Mac...

I finally got around to playing with this over the weekend. Just loaded up some old projects and played around with the plugins, dunno how reliable it would be for a full session though. Anyone tried multitrack recording with it yet?