Winds vs. Trans Siberian Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
AnvilSnake said:
when i say the word, "compare" i mean, list the differences of the two bands to each other. Not once did i say they were the same. And yes, i can tell an obvious difference, but what this thread was originally about, was giving your opinion of the two bands. And if i was to pick any band to be anything like Winds, i'd pick Adagio... but again, AN OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE.

Okay well if you want to know my opinion about two bands you picked out of the blue then fine:

Winds = Great band

Trans Siberian Orchestra = A group of dorks who perform lame wannabe-heavy x-mas music and use their little "christmas metal" gimmick to cash in on all the morons who can't get enough of the same old christmas songs around the holidays

The Grimace said:
It's not an opinion that TSO is 'family oriented', totally 'PG' entertainment, it's a fact. Christmas music is not metal by any stretch of anyone's imagination. And anything that so many people easily enjoy can't be good. And Jack Frost is a douche. :tickled:

Seriously, I'm just pissed that anyone would compare one of my favorite bands to that pompous monstrosity.

First off, I would like to say that I don't think Winds is metal by any definition of the word, despite Hellhammer drumming, and Carl August Tideman's Guitar work.

Secondly, I have a question to pose to you mr "The grimace": If people can easily enjoy a peice of music, how is it not good?

Third, it really isn't fair that you can bash a band without giving legitamate reasons why you are bashing them, and not just some crap about 'PG' entertainment. Either give a real reason, like the guitar work isn't up to par, etc., or post a place where I can hear your music, if you happen to be arrogant enough to think you are better than any other musican. Personally, I don't think these two bands shouldn't be compared at all, given the fact that they are two different styles of music, but I wouldn't say one is any better than the other. They are both good at what they do, and they are both doing it because it is something they love doing.

Yeah, the Grimace, you're pretty much wrong dude. He's got you there. For instance, Elton John's piano playing is at least as complex if not more than Andy Winter's (not to say that he's better) and he's one of the most popular artists of all time. Mozart is pretty popular too, actually.

AnvilSnake said:
Winds has a very unique sound. So unique i believe, that they should be their own genre.

Trans Siberian Orchestra may only be christmas oriented, :

actually, if you give a band a genre that no other band can enter, it is useless isn't it? if every band had a genre, genres would be pointless.

and TSO has recorded a non-christmas album: Beethoven's Last Night. they're also recording a new non-christmas album called (i believe) Night Castle. moreso, they aren't the band, they're a sideproject of a kickass band called Savatage. it fumes me when people talk of TSO as a glitzy commercial christmas gimmick. unfortunately it seems they are headed that way, but one must know that the songs that launched their career aren't even TSO songs. "Christmas Eve Sarajevo 12/24" is actually originally recorded on Savatage's "Dead Winter Dead" album. without any publicity, TSO is the cash-in for Savatage, and i hope they use their profits wisely (for the unfortunate in the world, as they have) and to record killer new Savatage albums. to talk of TSO without acknowledging Sava is absurd... they're practically the same, +- a few people. TSO = Savatage.

i think Winds and Savatage are both good stuff, but not comparable - like apples and oranges.

just because of the absurdity of this thread, i had to hear clips of what TSO was... i think it's kind of ridiculous, and not at all comparable to winds. it may have most of the same instruments, but it's NOT metal. that's like saying Apocalypitca is classical music.

Status
Not open for further replies.