Witchfinder General

Yup... DEATH PENALTY is a classic!! Even though they came out during the NWOBHM era, most consider them a doom band. Very Sabbathy indeed. FRIENDS OF HELL is worht picking up too although not quite as good as the 1st.

Originally posted by kollex
they were a NWOBM band
does anyone know what they sound like

They stand out a little bit from the standard NWOBHM sound, in my opinion. They are 'doomier' in sound, 'heavier', so to speak. Great tunes, with some respectable Iommi-worship in the guitar department. The vocals, however, are the turn off for me. The guy sounds like he is singing with the world's worst head cold. He is unique sounding, that's for sure, and sometimes that works for me (e.g. Manilla Road), and sometimes it doesn't.

Their songs average about 4 minutes each. "Death Penalty" and "Friends of Hell" have both been reissued (I don't have the cases in front of me, I can't recall what label has put them out). They shouldn't be too difficult to find. They are worth getting for a) their historical significance, b) the music, and c) their kick-ass album covers.

Doom.

After Black Sabbath, probably the most influential classic doom band, before Candlemass, Cathedral, Pentagram (older but they released the albums later) and so.