Woman fined $1.9 million for illegal downloads

A few weeks ago I got an email from someone who said they'd been listening to WREKage for about the last ten years...basically, that's the time-period that I've been one of the show's hosts/deejays...and this guy was really thanking me for helping shape his musical and metal tastes

Did you apologize? :heh:

yeah, you guys would be surprised at the number of people who do actually still listen to the radio. im on from 10-6 friday nites/saturday mornings and usually get 50-100 calls. not bad for a 'dying medium'

I'm pretty sure that plugin works with newer versions -- err, strike that, I know it has to because I grudgingly upgraded Winamp today and listened to TJ's show on Seismic (after mine).

You'll have to have RealPlayer installed (for the codec) but after that, the Tara plugin will work fine with Winamp to listen to Real streams. I pipe it through my home stereo and it sounds excellent. My playlists are at http://seismic.paulcashman.com .

I was under the impression that radio, internet and broadcast, was dead. To that end, this radio part of this debate, seemed like arguing about the quickest route for the Pony Express to take. Am I wrong? Do a lot of people still discover music this way?

Zod

Since I run a radio show as well I will reply to this comment. The internet radio listener base is not as dead as you would think it is. Is it booming and amazingly big? No.

Most internet radio stations and DJ's for the most part are the biggest bullshitters known to man lying about stuff to get free CD's, and a few idiots to "donate" to their websites. This is why so many stations, and DJ's come, and go. No reputation, and no credibility (and no on air personality) ....point black most are nothing but hacks and posers and thats my opinion, and thats why I feel that those types of things hurt the "radio, internet and broadcast" industry.

With my show I get quite a few listeners (and requests) but thats spanning all my stations and affiliates Im on at the same time. I have my own feed which is then picked up by 16 other stations that syndicate it. My chatroom which is run on the same MIRC server as the PPUSA chat usually brings in about 50 people during my LIVE show every Wednesday. That is a lot of chatters for a weekly internet radio show especially since many people aren't into the chat thing.

The best part is most of my listeners hear what I play and then go purchase the albums, and contact the bands usually via myspace to tell them how awesome they are and that they were heard on my show. This is nice because it helps both me and the artist get more exposure.

As for the whole promo debate. I don't see any problems with digital promos or 2 or 3 non voiceover tracks.

I also do a lot of special "CD Showcases" with approval from the bands and/or management as well as theme shows which helps with bringing in listeners.

I missed one of the pages, am on my way out the door, but did anyone address her position..? That she didn't download anything, and that she owns hundreds of cds? Where I guess it may have been that someone likely leeched from her internet connection or just incorrect identity?

Actually hate to resurrect one of these "To Download or Not To Download" threads, but I read an interesting article today that shows a bit of a twist on the issue.

From guardian.co.uk:

They are the record companies' bogeyman: the 15-year-old in their bedroom ripping off a star's latest album and sharing it with their friends has been blamed for bringing an industry to its knees.

But new research shows that the number of teenagers illegally sharing music has fallen dramatically in the past year.

The survey of 1,000 fans also shows that many14 to 18 year olds are now streaming music regularly online using services such as YouTube and Spotify.

At the same time less than a third of teenagers are now illegally downloading music, the survey suggests. In January this year 26% of 14 to 18 year olds admitted filesharing at least once a month compared with 42% in December 2007.
The research revealed that many teenagers (65%) are streaming music regularly, with more 14 to 18 year olds (31%) listening to streamed music on their computer every day compared with music fans overall (18%).

The picture may be more complex than a simple shift from filesharing to streaming, with people sharing music in new ways such as via bluetooth technology, on blogs, and through copying, also known as ripping content from friends' MP3 devices.

Even though users of streaming services are not necessarily buying more music, the industry benefits by learning more about fans' tastes. Steve Purdham, CEO and founder of We7, a music streaming service and download store, said: "They may not buy an album, though they have that opportunity, but you can sell them tour tickets and a T-shirt of their favourite band."
MORE

Hmm. So maybe the issue is evolving in a way the industry can adapt to and re-stimulate growth? I always thought that was the biggest problem - the industry wanting to do business as usual and not finding a way to change with the times.