Woods 3 Review on Metal Observer

The review seems pretty good. The writer obviously has a grasp of both language and music. Here's what I enjoyed reading most:

"It is a refreshing change to hear Black Metal that does not have evil, hate, or the demise of Christ as the main driving force. The main themes on this album are very human, introspective, and confrontational and questioning of the lives we are living and the world we are living in."

That's a great observation and a very sound commentary on Black Metal. I part ways with Black-Metal bands that preach death, destruction, hate, fear, anger, bitterness, violence, anti-Christian tirades, and disharmony with the world. Why listen to shit like that? What's the point? Life is hard enough to get through without having to shoulder the weighty baggage of bozos who make Black-Metal music.

What I find refreshing about Woods of Ypres is it's heavy sound without the heavy (read: negative, angry, bitter, demeaning, belittling) lyrics and themes. Occasional cynicism, sure. Maybe a bit of bleakness. But it's not music that seeks to crush my spirit while it's crushing my bones.

A very good review, overall.

By the way, I wonder what WoY would sound like playing a "blues" number? :)

Bill

Pretty kickass review, that site always has really credible and interesting reviews.