Word Clock Thread

LydonB

Jun 7, 2005
Ashburn, VA
I know what a word clock is and I know how they work. I think they are one of the more overlooked pieces of gear in a studio. Without all your gear syncing together, your audio can get crapped up. But I do not know of any highly used or recommended brands and models of a word clock.

Does anyone have any opinions on a particular brand or model of a word clock? Are there any kind of "standard" word clocks for studios?

Yeah I took notice that the Big Ben seemed pretty popular. The price tag is quite hefty as well...then again, most of Apogee's stuff carries a nice price tag but at least it is good gear.

If you've got an interface with a good clock to begin with, can't you sync your other converters to it (via BNC or even SPDIF or ADAT) without having to get an external clock?

If you've got an interface with a good clock to begin with, can't you sync your other converters to it (via BNC or even SPDIF or ADAT) without having to get an external clock?

I am pretty sure that you can do that. My reason for starting this thread was just to see what options there are for clocking and to discuss the ways people link up their stuff. Thought it might be interesting to see how everyone does it.

Bob Katz sais that it's usually better to let the converter do the clocking...(set to "internal")

As did the guys at Benchmark (a top converter company) when I spoke with them at NAMM, which is why they don't make an external word clock