Working with music you don't want to: How do keep sanity?

*warning* I skimmed this thread so some of this may have been said.

I'd like to add that as horrible as this sounds, the more brutal $Hit you work on, the more tolerable it gets.

In my time, I've worked with 100s of artists (as an editor/engineer..not producing or running the show) and at first I wanted to quit music. Broads who can't sing, bands who can't play, and A&R guys who know jack $hit....it all made me mental.

However, after a couple of years I realized that all that garbage actually really sharpened my skills, and it became so much easier to do awesome for bands/artists that are great!

Now I actually enjoy working on music I've never heard before. I recently spent a few days working on East Indian Bangra music...most people probably just puked on themselves in disgust, but I actually enjoyed it. It was really hard to mix all the indian percussion and even harder to do vocals in a language you don't understand. But I killed it (non american's that's slang for I did awesome), and now I have a regular client who's returning every 2-3 weeks for 2-3 days or more of work.

Does it still suck when people suck or come in wanting to do rehashed garbage? yes it does, but I still love going to work every day and wouldn't trade it for any other job in the world....except maybe self made billionaire....

C_F_H_13: Cool man, that all makes sense :)

The Unavoidable: Haha, this guy also has a band up in Skellefteå... a bit closer to Umeå but maybe still not the same guy :) But man, I'm serious... he is like TOTALLY clueless, it's so fun, I have to work real hard not to laugh him in the face when he is describing how he wants the drums to be... he goes like "I want the drums to be like this on this part *does some tapping on his knees, doesn't even sound like a "logical" drum pattern, can barely make out a rhythm of it* and then he does some beatboxing to further describe it, it's like "ta... ta ta ... kschhhhh ta ta ta ksccc kscch" and then finally goes "Do you understand me?". HAHAHA it's so hilarious :D Then when I finally make a beat that he wants, it sounds NOTHING like what he described to me from the beginning :)