Guitarsound - how do you do? (again!)

Asmus_Thomsen

Jun 23, 2002
Denmark
www.sacrificial.dk
Hi Andy

First of all – let me say that you’re one of my absolute top-favorite producers when it comes to heavymetal. Especially your guitarsound is excellent and very fat – best example “The gathering”, closely followed by “Dead heart.”

Now, I see that you use rectifiers and standard Marshall-cabs, along with Shure SM57. I own a rectifier and a recto cab – what is your opinion on celestion vintage 30 speakers? And have you ever tried a Sennheiser 421 for guitars – to me, they sound so much better than the ’57. It’s hard for me to believe (although I do J), that you can get such excellent results with a ’57. What preamp do you use for guitar?

When using amplifiers, do you make sure, that all tubes are brandnew, or do you just plug it in, and if it sounds good, you’ll record it?

Looking forward to your next assaults!

Asmus Thomsen
Wannabe soundman
:cool: :D

well to me a 57 sounds way better than a 421, alot more honest. I'll make sure all tubes are good, but if it sounds good...it sounds good, trust your ears. 421 sound too scooped and phasey to me.

Thank you for your reply - I think I'll work some more with the '57 - maybe it's the preamps - I once heard my guitarsound with a '57 through a SSL-console - and that sounded way cool.

What preamp do you prefer for guitar, or do you "just" use the internal ones in your mackie??

:) Asmus

I find the same thing with 57's, way better than any other mic for guitar. Depending on the amp and cab, can make the world difference. But I find with 57's pick-up pattern it's best to have mic perpendicular to the cone not the amp screen. This way your absorbing sound head-on into the mic. I find it's tighter sounding near the edge of the cone than the middle. I've done alot of fiddling around with this...to the point where I've even taken off the cab screen to inspect even closer. Try it and you'll like it:)

P.S. just finished mastering my bands demo

Swallowyoursoul

This is one heavy fuckin' mix...thanks for the insight Andy!!!
I'll make it accessable as soon as possible