how loud do you usually record amps??

covil

johny bigode
Mar 22, 2007
Recentelly i´ve been trying to figure out how volume afects not only your power amp but also the speaker.
So after trying on some different settings i´ve found out that my Krank Rev starts to add more gain and overall compression when it´s past 3 O´clock on master volume.
What i´m not so shure is that this how you guys do it, but i sure can tall the difference!!
I´m only a bit worried about my speaker is it to much??
It´s so loud i couldn´t stand beying on the room!!!
How loud do you run your amps and how hard do you make the coil of the speaker move??

When I was using the Marshall JCM 900, I recorded with the Master Volume around 7. That was really loud, but that's also where that amp sounded best, so there really was no getting around it.

But really, one thing I've learned lately is to get down in front of the cab and LOOK at the speakers. When they really start to move, this is a good range to start dialing things in. You'll physically be able to see them start moving around quite a bit. On a 5150 thru a Mesa Standard on the lead channel, this activity usually starts between 3 to 3.5 on the master gain knob. I can tell quite a difference in the tone doing this.

ARRGGGHH THE 5150 DOESN'T HAVE A MASTER, IT'S POST GAIN AKA CHANNEL VOLUME!!!!!!!

Sorry, had to get that outta my system, cuz it was always one thing that pissed me off about the amp - your advice is otherwise sound! :D

with 100watt-ish amps I usually have the master all the way up and the channelvol around 9:30-10:00

after that the speaker (Engl w v30) starts compressing too much for my taste, lower settings give a too thin sound.

those settings are slightly over rehearsalroom volume I'd say

("Master all the way up: assuming the amp has a master (JSX, Krankenstein), amps like the old 2ch Recto and the 5150 only have the channelvol=master all the way up all the time)

It largely depends on the cab and room. If it's a shit room, the last thing you wanna do is crank the fucker so those modal and flutter problems start to become really audible.

Other than that, there is usually a point where the speakers start to over-compress, and to me that is evident by when the speakers start to get a real distinct and ugly mid-hump. For most amps it's usually fairly loud, to a point where you don't want to be in the room with it for prolonged periods of time but won't absolutely ear rape you.

On my 6505+ I usually do around 2-2.5, I find that once I turn it up much further I lose a lot of high end (eq wise), which I dislike. I tend to record my amps reaaaally bright.

IMO the 5150 really doesn't have all of it's BALLS until at least 3 on the dial. Then the speaker movement really comes into play. I find that it does darken up at this point too, but that can be fixed. Any lower and it's really not punchy enough for me.

This might be different if your 5150 is bias-modded, as that increases the output a bit from what I remember.

-Joe

IMO the 5150 really doesn't have all of it's BALLS until at least 3 on the dial. Then the speaker movement really comes into play. I find that it does darken up at this point too, but that can be fixed. Any lower and it's really not punchy enough for me.

This might be different if your 5150 is bias-modded, as that increases the output a bit from what I remember.

-Joe

I agree it's got a lot more "oomph" and air movement up around 3+, but for years I've been recording amps in more or less bedroom settings, and even now that I don't have to maintain that lower volume level anymore it's kind of become more natural for me.

I've become more accustomed to recording more of the preamp sound of my 6505+/Dual Rectifier vs. the speaker cone distortion. I should try dorking with it at higher levels to see if my opinion is just habit and see if I might prefer it the other way these days.

I agree it's got a lot more "oomph" and air movement up around 3+, but for years I've been recording amps in more or less bedroom settings, and even now that I don't have to maintain that lower volume level anymore it's kind of become more natural for me.

I've become more accustomed to recording more of the preamp sound of my 6505+/Dual Rectifier vs. the speaker cone distortion. I should try dorking with it at higher levels to see if my opinion is just habit and see if I might prefer it the other way these days.

Hm, that's an uncommon thing to be accustomed to, but I guess when you record at low volumes for a while it can happen! No offense to you, I just generally believed most guys like to crank 5150s to get that "oopmh" as you describe.

For me it's key in getting a ballsy recorded sound. Try experimenting with it more. I agree, it's difficult in a home environment. I have to wait until no one is home to record my 5150 that loud. When I do, ear plugs galore! My dogs will cower in the basement when I record that loud. Understandably so! haha

-Joe