How to tell a band that you don't want to record them?

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hey,

I've got many inquiries of bands these days, but most of them are definitely not good enough. I mean, I guess that sounds arrogant but I just don't want to work with them if I'm knowing in advance that I would never be satisfied with the record in the end. How do you deal with those inquiries? Do you just ignore their message or do you tell them you have no time? I definitely need a good way to say no to them, cause I don't want to get a bad reputation in the end.

Just tell them they need to practice and get better before you will record them.

great topic. i feel the best way is to tell them something along the lines of "look guys i've been doing this long enough to know that i feel based on where you are at and your budget and your needs i feel you can get a better deal and spend your money more wisely at a more budget friendly and starter studio. i ope you can appreciate that because i'm not just about taking your money i also want to make sure we are matched properly and my services fit your needs and your dollar stretches the furthest."

it's a win win situation because everyone knows when you start out recording you will record two pigeons cooing at each other for experience and often for free or dirt cheap and as your career grows so does your cost as well as your level of clientele. when you get bands who ae just not worth it you can tell them that if you had met them 2 years ago or whatever time it was more suited and its your job to consult them that you think they would be better off at a more "localized" studio that would fit their level or budget. i've gotten bands with asstight budgets looking to do one song or a three song demos and between me and the staff at my studio we do majority full lengths and EPs and our prices are quadruple what they were 4 years ago. so it's only fair.

ps - i say its win win because a) most of them appreciate it more and i've had 2 bands that i said that to cut demos elsewhere and come back a year later with a bigger budget and more studio experience and b) as is human nature and a law of sales people want what they can't have. you will notice as you say this all of a sudden about 50% of the artists you tell this to will all of a sudden want it more and will be willing to shell out more money. a few times this has worked adversely to the intended purpose of the aforementioned and bands have said fuck it are willing to spend more money and as long as you don't object to the music or working with them you get a bigger paycheck.

all in all it's a very fair approach i feel very diplomatic and savvy on a business level.

don't answer

This is just my opinion, but please, please don't do that. I hate it when people never get back to me. I've done it myself a couple of times because I've been so busy I've forgotten to answer, but I still find it the most disrespectful and unprofessional thing to do. You're running a people for Pete's sakes, you're supposed to be available for people.

Be friendly, be polite, but be firm. You want musicians to say "yeah, he's a really cool guy" when they talk about you. Not "yeah, I asked him about working with us and he never even got back to me, I wouldn't bother."

well again i think the "i'm too expensive for you" approach is the best business wise. you truly have nothing to lose and everything to potentially gain. it either gets them to want to spend more time or pay a higher rate (if money is the issue to begin with) either way it ends up being more money for your pocket. and at the end of the day, most people who own and operate a studio act under the pretense of financial gain to some degree and unless you are overbooked with jobs it doesn't hurt to have extra cash flow. even if it means spending a week with a shitty metal band that week can be an extra piece of gear or whatever.

another approach without using money for the non capitalist fans here would be to tell them that the genre is mismatched. like look guys, kanye west would not work with andy sneap, and nevermore would not work with timberland. for what i can do and the type of music i mix/produce whatever, i don't think it's the right fit. something along those lines.

but please, please don't do that. I hate it when people never get back to me. I've done it myself a couple of times because I've been so busy I've forgotten to answer, but I still find it the most disrespectful and unprofessional thing to do.

I'll +1 this, unless your Joey Sturgis or Andy Sneap this is fucking unprofessional.

I've turned a band down before who had the money and were willing to book a nice bit of time but I still turned them down as I'd see them live/ done live sound for them a couple of times and knew I'd never be happy with or enjoy making their album. They were the worst band I'd seen and had no ear for tuning, tone or timing. They also said they wanted their album recording to start in the next few weeks and wanted to fire their drummer and get a new one in that time. Not ready to record at all.
I told them I didn't have the time available to get their album done before they wanted it finished as I was working on other people stuff in that time. It was mostly true but if they were a band I liked I definately would have been able to find time to work with them.

I've wondered this myself, but I don't think the "you can't afford me" approach is very professional either. If someone said that to me, I'd be wondering who they were judging my financial situation.

I'd go with what Jeff suggested, I'd appreciate that honesty. If you've got a mate nearby who could do with the work/could do them justice, recommend him :)

I think the best two methods are to tell them "it's a bad fit" or to quote them a price that makes it worth your while if they actually come up with the money (and allows you to subcontract out some of the editing). No need to tell them you are too expensive-- quote them a price and let them come to that conclusion (or not) on their own.
Ignoring people is bad business.

"Hey X, thank you very much for your interest but I can't do it. I'd suggest you ask Y, here's his website/phone number: ..."

There's no need to tell them why you "can't" do them, if you think it might cause bad blood. Be friendly but formal.

I don't work in the music industry, but I have conducted lots of professional business. Never blow off a possible costumer. Even if you know you don't want to do work for them at all.

You piss guy A off so he tells guy B and guy C and every other person he meets that you ignored him. Now guy B that you really want to get a job/contract etc with never even attempts to get a hold of you because he already thinks your a dick.

Being polite and professional to everyone costs you nothing and builds a positive image of yourself.

Edit: And if that doesn't work send Mel Gibson with a beaver hand puppet to kill their babies