My official cymbal/drum samples - how do you want them?

How do you want them?

• Preprocessed

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Separate mics

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
Ok, so I've finished recording some cymbal and drum samples to be released officially, they're all cut up, but I don't know how to export them.

Do you want each mic separately, maybe with a touch of processing (cymbals also have close-mics on some of them), or do you want just one sample per drum/cymbal with everything fairly pre-processed and nice-sounding like Joey's samples?

i think the noobs would appreciate a ready to use package.

i personally would actually like to have both.
if you had a fairchild and some pultecs lying around and treat the samples with that stuff, i wouldnt say no.
everything else i guess most non-noobs here would love the option tohave them "naked".

i really love toontracks approach delivering the snare as an extra channel with 1176LN - also i got back
to superior 2 for serious programming, as i dont like the sound of preprocessed samples as much as my own UAD chain.

but to make a long story short : i would be more into the non processed samples - but i guess most people would want it the other way.

i'm all for the ready to use package

its complicated to work with like 100 raw samples for one cymbal
if you're really going to release 'em that way you really need someone to make kontakt presets or something like that

i'm all for the ready to use package

its complicated to work with like 100 raw samples for one cymbal
if you're really going to release 'em that way you really need someone to make kontakt presets or something like that

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, and I don't have kontakt. I may do the cymbals as a 'ready-to-use' package, and then the drums as a 'ready to use' and then a rawer sample along with it.

I'm uploading a sample of Necromancer197666's song which has these on cymbals and toms (not snare/kick - I wanted a super trashy snare and I haven't got around to messing with my kick yet), and you can hear them solo'd for a bit. All the hits are JUST the hard ones, so no multiple velocities, and no velocity editing on my part, there's some minor editing done by Necromancer197666. The ride cymbal still needs a touch of work, but apart from that it sounds fairly realistic, you couldn't tell for a metal song like this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Jack'sBox3.mp3

edit: I fucking love these toms XD

I guess it depends on just how stellar the samples are.......if the drums are sounding absolutely godly then all the mics seperate with no processing. If they're just sounding pretty good then a set of fully processed would be more useful.

Basically, there are a lot of different sample sets out there and if i'm actually going to use a non-processed sample (which i do try to stick to) then it's got to be REALLY good

I guess it depends on just how stellar the samples are.......if the drums are sounding absolutely godly then all the mics seperate with no processing. If they're just sounding pretty good then a set of fully processed would be more useful.

Basically, there are a lot of different sample sets out there and if i'm actually going to use a non-processed sample (which i do try to stick to) then it's got to be REALLY good

I Agree.

Non processed is the way to go maybe supply gogs and trigger files aswell. because even the noobs should be learning how to process a kick, snare and toms from the gorund up to make a kit gel together and sound brilliant.

but that said if the raw samples arent fantastic and it takes a SHIT TON of processing to get them sounding good than id just offer the processed ones.

I find the "almost hard panned" hihat a bit distracting. but the song is pretty kickass.

I'll look into this - does't sound too bad from my end but I may have the close-mic a little too high in the mix.

I think I'll provide a 'mixed' sample with everything, and then for the drums I'll provide another 'close-mic' sample, rawer (but not totally raw, maybe, I'll see how it sounds), with no room/OH.