Working with Slate Drums 4 - Levels etc

schismatic

Kintsugi is coming
Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, UK
Hi guys,

I've got a midi drum track in SSD4 that I've been adjusting here and there and I'm now ready to output multis to wav (kick, snare, hats, toms, OHs and room). I read often that the SSD drums are 'mix-ready', however I want to know if you guys have any advice about working with them after finishing with the VSTi. I usually put the tracks within a folder track in Reaper to form my drum bus.

I'm particularly concerned about:

• Relation to master bus items - should I put them through my 2-buss compression (I use The Glue)? Am I going to lose anything doing this?
  • Levels. I want to make sure I've got good levels before I start mixing. Typically, what peak and RMS levels do you output from SSD4 (or any other drum sampler I guess)?
  • Gain staging. Possibly linked to the above question. I use VCC and Nebula to simulate analog board signal paths etc - do you guys do much gain staging with the drum tracks afterwards? (this question possibly linked to initial levels)
  • Clipping. Any use of G-Clip etc?

I guess I'm a bit concerned that, given they are already pre-processed a lot, I will overdo it and end up either with a horribly flat drum track, or end up distorting :erk:.

Would love to hear if anybody uses techniques like parallel compression on anything as well.

Bring on the info.....