Worst Black Sabbath album

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
Inspired by the best Black Sabbath vocalist thread. What, in your opinion is the worst Sabbath album. I am going to say "Forbidden". What were Sabbath thinking when they chose Erine C from Body Count to produce the album? The production is terrible. Another "what were they thinking" is the song "Illusion of Power" where Tony Martin is deuting with Ice T.

I've only heard the eight albums with Ozzy, which are pretty much the only ones that matter. Out of those, the worst is Technical Ecstasy.

Profånity said:
:lol: Sabbath weren't even Metal with Ozzy(by todays standards)

How can you say one of the heaviest albums of all time doesn't matter?
1. Yes they were metal
2. it wasnt the heaviest album of all time. thats just your opinion.

I agree with J.

Profånity said:
:lol: Sabbath weren't even Metal with Ozzy(by todays standards)
That's your problem. You're not looking at the band in the correct context. And if Sabbath (with Ozzy) wasn't metal, then neither are any doom bands.

How can you say one of the heaviest albums of all time doesn't matter?
Just because something is heavy, doesn't mean it is good, or even matters.

Come back when you've gained some common sense.

Oh man, what blasphemous statements! It still amazes me that to this day Technical Ecstasy and also Never Say Die gets bashed as being weak. Just because the band decided to expand their boundaries musically on those two albums they have been neglected over the years. And the when the later albums of their catalogue are considered the true meaning of neglect is all too apparent, not to mention out right scorn. Hell, most people don't even seem to be aware of the existence of such releases as The Eternal Idol or Cross Purposes which is a damn shame because the musicianship on those are excellent and quite dark in nature, Eternal Idol in particular.
I have always believed that if people would give these album's half a chance then they might just like them or at least would have a bit of a time to grow on them.
Just because anything from 1980 on didn't contain all of the "original" members is no valid reason to deny yourself of some damn fine heavy metal.
On the other hand I must play devil's advocate and agree in wondering what the hell they were thinking when they invited Ice-T to do some vocals on the track Illusion of Power. It doesn't make me despise the track but I agree it does not quite fit. That album, Forbidden, does have some good tracks though even though it's almost universally rated as the all time worse release.

Profånity said:
Paranoid is the worst, as it's simply Pop Rock.
riiiiight. Iron Man, Paranoid, Hand Of Doom, Electric Funeral, War Pigs and Fairies Wear Boots are pop/rock. Uh-huh. :err:

Anyway, to the topic. Hands down, Forbidden. No question at all. Bad production, bad ideas, bland songs.

And just for the record(and i'm bored), my top 5 Sabbath albums are:

1.)Master Of Reality
2.)Sabotage
3.)Eternal Idol
4.) Headless Cross
5.)Heaven And Hell/Volume 4(tie)

Cross Purposes. I haven't heard them all, but from what I've heard, that's the winner. Born Again gets bashed all the time, but it's not so bad. I prefer that one to Master of Reality.

blakmetalemp said:
Any album without Ozzy. No Ozzy wasnt Sabbath, it was Butler, Iommi, Ozzy and that other guy that made Sabbath Sabbath.

The Sabbath sound was Iommi and to a large extent Geezer. The vocalist and drummer were unimportant.

Born Again kicks fucking ass! It's the heaviest sounding Sabbath album ever. What do you have against Ian Gillian? I guess I can safely assume you don't like Deep Purple at all either. Shame, you're missing out on a lot of good tunes.