Worst Black Sabbath album

Darth Kur said:
Born Again kicks fucking ass! It's the heaviest sounding Sabbath album ever. What do you have against Ian Gillian? I guess I can safely assume you don't like Deep Purple at all either. Shame, you're missing out on a lot of good tunes.

No, actually I like Deep Purple a lot! You know, the good stuff... "Burn", "Stormbringer", & "Come Taste The Band".

The stuff with GOOD singing.

I think the earlier Purp stuff is very good, musically, but then gets ruined when Ian Gillian opens his mouth.

Drummer's and vocalists are unimportant in a band? lol let me go take a piss at how funny that statement is... anyways after Dio left the band.. what was "black Sabbath" in the 80's throughout was really just the Tony Iommi Solo band... Tony still lives in the past while at least Ozzy when he was no longer in the band moved on (yes Ozzy does sabbath songs live but thats just for the fans after all who wants to hear some other vocalist other then the original one sing a classic Sabbath song) and progressed metal more then Tony ever did.. Ozzy discovered Randy and without a doubt Randy blows Tony away.. even brought life to Sabbath songs as evidenced on the Tribute album.. Tony's solos are boring as hell.. and Tony added nothing new to the riffs he played on classic Sabbath songs.. Randy added fillers and other flashy stuff to the riffs that made my spine shiver at how good he changed the Sabbath songs.. and the solo's Randy did for the Sabbath songs.. foughetboutit.. after i heard Randy play those Sabbath songs live.. on that album. i was like Tony who? lol ... Anything after Dio i never heard completely cause it tended to be really bad.. but i might consider listening TYR and others if people recommend them...

Originally Posted by Unfaithfully Metalhead vbmenu_register("postmenu_3013351", true); Ozzy...progressed metal more then Tony ever did.. Randy blows Tony away..after i heard Randy play those Sabbath songs live.. on that album. i was like Tony who?
Holy fuck man, that's just plain wrong! Randy was great but Tony Iommi is the godfather of all metal. I have never, in well over three decades, heard Tony play anything even close to sub-par.

Tony still lives in the past
And there's something wrong with that because.........? There's nothing incorrect with remaining true to tradition. Otherwise it really wouldn't sound like Sabbath, would it?
And sounding "flashy" is not the be all end all. Don't get me wrong, I've always deeply admired all the material Randy ever did. I would love to hear what he would've done in later years had not his life been cut so tragically short.

after all who wants to hear some other vocalist other then the original one sing a classic Sabbath song
I, for one, do. I enjoy hearing the other vocalist's interpretation of the songs. Although, as I previously stated elsewhere, Glenn Hughes butchered the hell out of the old classics live. He reportedly was sick or fucked up all of the time depending on which story you believe.
Anyways, if you really are willing to check out their other material I'd suggest Tyr, Born Again, Eternal Idol, Dehumanizer and Cross Purposes to start with. Plus try to snag a few bootleg shows and see how they sounded throughout the years.

All im saying is Randy put a little more life into the Sabbath songs.. while Tony did nothing new with them but play the same riffs over and over live.. Tony was the "old" and Randy at the time was definetly the "new" and "future" ... plus you have to admit Tony isnt much of a soloist.. his talent was in the riffs... As for Tony living in the "past". i meant that he wont allow the Sabbath name just fade away and let people admire the body of work already created.. he should just form a new band or actually rename what he called Sabbath with another name because it was no longer Sabbath once he was the only original Sabbath member.. i would much rather see him say this isnt Sabbath anymore and this is my new band with new players... but as long as he calls it Sabbath everyone will judge it by all the Sabbath classics.. as for vocalists to me the only one who did Sabbath songs any justice was Dio.. but thats just my choice in the other "Sabbath vocalists" ... i think they all butcher the classic Sabbath songs in reality.. but i will listen to the ones you recommended.. ill borrow them from a friend of mine.. but to me its not really Sabbath anymore.. its the Tony Iommi solo project/band... he should just let the Sabbath name die gracefully and rename what he puts out as Sabbath as some other band that he newly created.. <shrugs> but thanks for the recommendations.. which one do u think i should listen to first that is closer to Classic Sabbath if at all? .....

You know it's ironic that in 86 Tony wanted very much to make a solo album. In fact the album that ended up being Seventh Star was supposed to be a Tony Iommi solo album, which was originally titled Star of India. Since he was, at that time, the sole remaining original member. But the record company would have none of it and pretty much pressured him into calling it a Black Sabbath album hence that release being the only one with the particular title of Black Sabbath Featuring Tony Iommi. I remember when that came out picking it up and wondering "wtf?" . I though Tony was on an ego trip. So you might've gotten your wish if it hadn't been for the record execs back then.
As for which of those albums to check out first I'd have to say Eternal Idol since it's got more of a dark and basic feel to it compared to the others. Granted, none of them sound just like the old classic Sabbath but then again neither does Mob Rules or Heaven and Hell. I assume that since you like the Dio era material that you already have Dehumanizer, which of coarse has Ronnie back on vocals. If, perchance, you don't then definitely grab that one first. You'll love it. It's heavy as hell. And speaking of heavy Born Again is quite heavy and extremely dark natured. Most peoples complaint's with that one is Ian Gillian's high pitched vocals. Personally, I think it's a masterpiece and will never forgive myself for fucking up and not going to see them on that tour when they came through town in either 83 or 84. Can't remember which any more.
Anyways, good luck with those. I really hope you enjoy them. Just try to except them for what they are and not how different they might be from ones in the past.

Goddamn, can we all just agree that early Black Sabbath was damn good, and that Ozzy was a mediocre (Paranoid), but occasionally pretty good (Sabotage) singer?

Anyway, "Never Say Die" is the worst. By far. Forbidden would be a close second.

I'd say the weakest SAB is the "Forbidden" record. That one really did suck. And I really like the other Tony Martin albums. Good stuff.

"7th Star" is kind of lame, also.

My FAV Sabs are:
1) Heaven & Hell (nothing else can come close!)

2) Sabotage
3) Black Sabbath
4) Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
5) Mob Rules / Paranoid

I agree pretty much with the name concept. After a certain point he should have dropped the Sabbath moniker and just gone with a new band thing. But, I guess Tony Iommi is no different than pretty much every other rich fucker out there: there is never enough money. Because if he changed the name in the mid-80's, then he would have lost a considerable chunk of his fanbase, therefore lost album sales and lost revenue from live shows.

That said, the name is pretty fucking irrelevant, in my book. If you can't recognize the quality (high) of a lot of the albums that Iommi put out even up to the 90's, then you are either a stuck up old dinosaur fossill who thinks (only) Ozzy ruled, or you are just not a metalhead at all. End of the fucking story.