Would love to see ND on this lineup!!!

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Norwegian black metallers IMMORTAL will embark on a North American headlining tour in February with support from ABSU. The dates are as follows:

Feb. 19 - New York, NY - Gramercy Theater
Feb. 20 - Baltimore, MD - Sonar
Feb. 21 - Pittsburgh, PA - Mr. Small's Theatre
Feb. 22 - Chicago, IL - Bottom Lounge Feb. 24 - Denver, CO - Summit Theatre
Feb. 26 - San Antonio, TX - Backstage Live

Why does Immortal never play on the West Coast? Novembers Doom should do a full US/Canada tour with Agalloch, Woods of Ypres, and My Dying Bride and come play in Victoria now THAT would be a show! :D

Joel

Well I don't want to get anyones hopes up of thinking this is being planned or will ever necessarily happen, I just was curious if this DID ever happen, whether or not people would be willing to travel to see a one-off show like this. Because truthfully I think the only way a bill like that would happen would be if it were a one-off festival type show, the logistics of having an entire U.S. tour with a lineup like that are very slim. Someday having some kind of one day fest with great bands like MDB, WoY, ND, etc. all on the bill could possibly happen, but it would depend very much on how many people would really be willing and able to attend a show like that.

If we ever booked a comparable show like that here in the midwest, would you come down from Canada to see it? Just curious.

Good question. I live about as far west as you can get in Canada. I've been to shows in Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle, but as far as traveling to Chicago I dunno. At the moment, its not financially viable for me, but honestly if Agalloch, Woods of Ypres, Novembers Doom, and My Dying Bride were all on the same bill I'd move heaven and hell to get there!!!!!! I've seen WoY twice and Agalloch once (going to see them in Seattle again on the 18th!), but I haven't yet had the pleasure of seeing ND or MDB yet.
Next summer I'll be making sick money doing landscaping so if you are considering it and its next summer I'll be able to make it then. If you aren't considering it don't even tempt us poor metalheads! Lol j/k!

- Joel

if you put opeth on that bill I would pawn my guitar to come see it, and my guitar is my prized possession!

It's a tough call.
On one hand, you would have a one-off show with many bands who rarely play the states.
On the other, most of these bands have the same fanbase.
You would probably need an odd-ball booking to draw in the fence sitters and out of towners.

Look, we have all been to shows which were packed that we thought would be empty, and then been to empty shows which we thought would be packed.

Bottom line, no band, promoter, or venue has the definitive answer on how to guarantee a pakced show.

This is where promotion I think REALLY comes in.

I think last Novemebrs ND / WoY show @ Reggie's was the perfect example.
In the 5 years I have been an ND fan, that was easily the most advertised show, as well as the largest attended.

They absolutely would.

I certainly would hope and think so, but no one really knows.
It's such a tough call to know how a show or tour would do.

The one that always comes to mind is Candlemass' last US tour, which was what, their first US tour in over 15 years? Sure, one could argue that no one cares about Candlemass sans Messiah, but damn. That tour had TERRIBLE turnouts. Were there even 150 people at the Pearl Room?

It seems the real "Breakout" bands these days are the ones that have "Hot Topic" appeal (So, for the past couple years, this has definitely been the whole viking / pagan thing).

Hell, that band Eluveitte (SP??) is headlining over 3 Inches of Blood, and Turisas are on the Cradle of Filth tour.

As much as I love MDB (and I REALLY do, they are on my top 10 list with ease of active bands I want to see live, and have been for a few years now), I would be skeptical with how well they would do.

Now, if it was part of a one night only one off, with at least 2 or 3 other bands that do not tour regularly (IE - Woods, Agalloch, ND), yes, then this would be a different story.

Back to the Candlemass example, I said it before, that I think for being away from the States so long, they needed a solid touring partner. Nothing against Daylight Dies, but they aren't what I would call a draw. They should have done a co-headlining tour with Trouble or someone of that ilk.

Sorry for the ramble. Once again, with good advance notice and promotion, and a solid lineup, yes, this show would do amazing.

If we were to organize a one off show with My Dying Bride here in Chicago, you had better believe Doom would be direct support, and the opening bands would be carefully chosen by US. We would pick bands not just for draw, but what would make the most sense. Nothing against those bands already mentioned, but as already stated, this would only bring in one specific type of fan. We would consider this, but also have to think about other bands that might have a cross appeal. It has to be thought out, and assembled in a smart way in order to make it a success for all involved.

Absolutely,
The best bills I think are the ones that have some cross-appeal.
Well, at least to me, as someone who likes many genres.

I also think if such an exclusive event were at a more well-known venue, such as Metro or HOB, it would open the doors to a whole other fanbase. You would not believe (and I am being 100% serious) how many times I would tell someone I went to a show at the Pearl Room, and their response was, "Where the hell is Mokena, IL? Is that even driveable from the Chicago area"??

While venues like Reggies and Bottom Lounge are definitely making a name for themselves, they are still underground venues that a lot of old school fans or those who only find out about big shows for sale through ticketmaster, may not be aware of.

The first time this truly crossed my mind was a couple years ago when TROUBLE played at the House of Blues. No joke, the place was seriously about 3/4 filled, more packed than many national touring gigs I have seen there. In that same year, I had seen TROUBLE play in lesser known venues to crowds under 100.

Just something to consider, in the event you dudes are considering such an event. Also, with a more established venue opens the door for being able to charge a higher ticket price. Not that anyone WANTS a high ticket price, but it obviously would be a factor if a band like MDB were to fly over for a one-off. (IE - Not sure how economically feasible a band like that coming over to play a $10 show would be)

With your fanbase increasing every year and every show (as seen personally by me who has been at almost every local gig in the past 5 years, except for like 1 or 2), I believe this could be an amazing event!