Would u still like Testament if...

You know....I liked The Ritual quit a bit. Return to Serenity and Electric Crown and Let go of my World all kick arse. Testament is a band that can do no wrong in my opinion. Two of the best songwriters in metall reside in this band. And like MindInsane
I have all the confidence in the world in them.

NecromancerAlpha said:
think what you will... but demonic and Especialy the Gathering are awesome albums.
there just way too Metal for most people to handel everyone wants light n fluffy music to listen too...

Hail Testament the true metal gods
-Necro

Hahahha statements like this make me laugh... it is not a contest to see who is more "metal" than the other. It's just music that you make, and whoever wants to get into it is free to do so.

I think Chuck's death vocals get repetitive as hell, so I'd rather listen to their earlier stuff... he is a much better clean singer than growl (at least he used to be, I don't know now).

Have to disagree with you there, he has much more of a range in all aspects of singing now. When's the last time you saw the band live?

Hate to be repetitive but ..........

If you don't like Chucks death vocals and non-clean singing then you probably don't like seeing Chuck live nowadays , perhaps you don't like the Gathering?

His vocals nowadays are 10 times better now then back in 88.

Not as much, definitely, seeing as how Low and The Gathering are my two favorite Testament albums. The Ritual (or at least what I remember from one listen) is decent, but there's really much more interesting metal out there. That's the fundamental problem...it's not because it's light, or because it's too melodic, or because it's GAY MSIC FOR PUSSYS!! :tickled::tickled::tickled: - it's just fucking BORING. The same problem I have with Opeth.

So, no.

When did I say anything about the Gathering?? I've only heard a coupla songs off of it, and I wasn't impressed. And I've never seen them live... unless they come up to Saint John, New Brunswick, I don't think I'll see them for a looong time. :b

Well, everything I've heard from Low onwards has frankly disappointed me. But I haven't heard all of their songs from those three albums, not even close. There's still hope. I just wish he'd stop doing his death voice... he says everything in the same monotone growl (why can't he go low and high while he's growling? it makes it soooo much better). It takes almost no skill (just time) to do a death voice, and Chuck had one of the coolest clean voices I'd ever heard. Perhaps you can suggest some songs where he shows off his clean singing skills (from Low, Demonic or the Gathering)?

From Low: "Trail Of Tears", "Hail Mary", "All I Could Bleed"
From Demonic: "Hatred's Rise", "John Doe", "Together As ONe"
From The Gathering: "True Believer"- here you can see the aforementioned depth of Chuck's voice (which definitely proves that his range is bigger than in the early days and which I hope he'll use more often in the future), "DNR"- here you have this "going low and high while growling", like in most of this album + it's pretty similar to the early thrash shrieking and screaming just lower and combined with growl), "3 Days In Darkness", "Down For Life", "Riding The Snake".
The vocals on The GAthering aren't monotonous at all- it's like if Chuck put together all (almost) of his singing styles. However, the proportions of this bind might not satisfy everyone- there's a little more growling than melody, but basically it's modern, heavy thrash, intertwined with both: gutteral growls and clean singing

Stun said:
When did I say anything about the Gathering?? I've only heard a coupla songs off of it, and I wasn't impressed. And I've never seen them live... unless they come up to Saint John, New Brunswick, I don't think I'll see them for a looong time. :b
You didn't specifically say The Gathering, but that is part of his singing style on The Gathering and especially live since 95. You might as well only listen up to The Ritual and pretend that they didn't release any records since then
lol.gif
, cause that's just the way he sings and it fuggin rulez!!
Stun said:
Well, everything I've heard from Low onwards has frankly disappointed me. But I haven't heard all of their songs from those three albums, not even close.
Pick them up to support the band , but they might be too heavy for you. At least vocal-wise.
Stun said:
There's still hope. I just wish he'd stop doing his death voice... he says everything in the same monotone growl (why can't he go low and high while he's growling? it makes it soooo much better).
Um, not me. It kills live and no one I have heard can sing with the kind of power Chuck has. He does go high and low while he's "growling" , pick up The Gathering , it's all on there !
Stun said:
It takes almost no skill (just time) to do a death voice, and Chuck had one of the coolest clean voices I'd ever heard.
eek7.gif
, almost takes no skill ???? Dude, you might wanna put that crack pipe down. You try to sing like that for more than 2 minutes and you'll go hoarse. Belive me , I try everyday in the car !!
lol.gif
It takes more skill than you think.

Stun said:
Perhaps you can suggest some songs where he shows off his clean singing skills (from Low, Demonic or the Gathering)?
[/QUOTE]

Go get a credit card from mommy , and log on here .....
http://www.testamentlegions.com/merch2.htm

You can get The Gathering and Demonic (your favorite Death record) today. You can get Low at Cdnow.com.

Pick up those 3 records and then give us your review of the singing.

Stun said:
When did I say anything about the Gathering?? I've only heard a coupla songs off of

Stun, I just have this to say about you. I see what the problem might be here in your first line of your post. You say you only listen to a couple of songs off The Gathering. You must listen to all of the cuts. You have to give it a try. You also said the same thing about St. Anger. You only listen to a couple of songs.

ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU HAVE EVEN PURCHASED THESE ALBUMS? OR ONLY THE MP3'S RELEASED ON THE INTERNET?

Also, what are you doing posting on a death metal site if you don't like death metal? o_O :loco:

First of all... I am a death metal singer. It doesn't take skill, it takes time. You think Chuck has more power than anyone else???... wow, ever heard of guys like Alexi Laiho or Anders Frieden (sp?)? That style is soooo much harder to pull off (especially without ruining your voice) than anything Chuck does (that I've heard, that is)...

Thanks High Priest, I'll check those out. I've heard John Doe tho, and I didn't like it.

About the comments on buying the cds... I am unemployed right now, so I'm not really in a position to buy music. :erk:

Val, I like many aspects of death metal... but constant deep growls turns me off... it gets boring. I like it when they mix it up a little... and when it's high pitched, I think it has a lot more energy and aggression to it.

Stun said:
First of all... I am a death metal singer. It doesn't take skill, it takes time.

I beg your pardon, but it definately takes skill. I have seen Chris of COL work on it and that opinion of yours couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe Chuck could come in here and tell us his opinion on this subject.

You think Chuck has more power than anyone else???...DO YOU REALLY WANT ME TO ANSWER THAT?

wow, ever heard of guys like Alexi Laiho or Anders Frieden (sp?)? That style is soooo much harder to pull off (especially without ruining your voice) than anything Chuck does (that I've heard, that is)...

WHY ARE YOU COMPARING DIFFERENT STYLES? THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME.

About the comments on buying the cds... I am unemployed right now, so I'm not really in a position to buy music. :erk: I FIGURED THAT ONE OUT. GOOD LUCK FINDING YOURSELF A GOOD SINGING CAREER!

Val, I like many aspects of death metal... but constant deep growls turns me off... UNDERSTOOD. it gets boring. I like it when they mix it up a little... AS TESTAMENT DOES. and when it's high pitched,I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A HIGH PITCHED GROWL EXCEPT WHEN I STEPPED ON MY DOGS TAIL. :)

There are only two things that take skill in death metal singing... the first is making it sound good without ruining your voice. I'll get to the second in a sec.

I mentioned Anders and Frieden because you said Chuck has more power than anyone else, and also because I thought that Chuck should do high-pitched growls as well as low ones (high growls is the other aspect of death metal singing that takes any amount of skill). I wasn't comparing different styles, really... they are all growls, Alexi just goes higher and harder (Anders wasn't so good an example, he doesn't do it the safe way anymore).

If you still don't understand what I mean... just say so. I'll give you the lowdown on how death metal singing works exactly.

Yeah I would still like Testament. The Ritual was an awesome album. I like the old school Testament better. the first 6 albums(Legacy to Low) and the live album is their best stuff I think. I love The Gathering alot but it definetly needed more solos. there is only one solo I think on the whole album. Good Riffs though. I also think that Chuck should go back to his old school voice also. the Death Metal growl crap just doesnt show to much talent.

But again Im all for guitar. so Eric in the new album PUT MORE GUITAR SOLO's MAN!!!!!!!! LOL

Only one solo on the whole album?!? I know there aren't as many solos on "The Gathering" as on the previous records, but just one? Eric does 3 leads and James 4, which gives a total of 7 solos on the album (out of 11 songs), which is still not much for TestAmenT, but it's definitely more than one. Besides, like Eric once said, there are some tracks where you just can't place a solo. For instance, can you imagine a solo in D.N.R. This song is fast and perfect and doesn't lack anything, even though there's no lead in it. Don't get me wrong, I'm also a huge fan of TestAmenT's guitar work and hope there will be more of it on the next releases, but you can't say there were no solos on "TG". Some of them were brilliant, in my opinion