Wounded

DTArtstar

Aug 7, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Alright, remember my introductory post explaining that I had Wounded but never played it? Well I've been spinning it heavily for the past two weeks and I absolutely LOVE it! I was already aware of Below Zero from Tug Of War and it's definitely a great song, but not even close to my favorite on this disc. Fade To Gray, could've been a bit shorter but besides that this song is excellent! I love the intro and the middle section of this song is easily the best part of it. I think that's what I miss about Enchant these days...same with Marillion. While their newer work is easily some of their best both bands have kind of put away that sort of arpeggiated clean guitar sound and gone for more heavy chordal structures. Not that big a deal but that's the most notable difference from old Enchant to new Enchant. Pure! One of my favorites...the acoustic on here is great to hear every now and then and this song has some excellent lyrics with an amazing guitar solo. I'd like to hear them do more songs like this in the future. Now comes my favorite song on the album, and probably my favorite Enchant song of all time, BROKEN! Why don't we hear more about this masterpiece? That chord progression is so cool and the ominous feel of this one makes it a lot different than other Enchant songs. The middle section here is my favorite part on the album, huge emotive parts like that that make Enchant probably my favorite or tied as my favorite band. Hostile World, I know Ed from the band reads this board occasionally so I'll just say, you are the man as the bass! That little run you do in the beginning is my favorite part of the song! A good tune, not my favorite but that repeated melody about 3 minutes in is really good. Overall, a good song. Look Away and Armour. I kind of see these as being the two "losers" of the album, not that they're bad songs but no one ever talks about them and I don't think they've ever even been done live. I like Look Away a lot(especially that solo in the middle) and Armour is decent, but I can see why it wasn't played live. Nothing too outstanding in this one. Distractions, I don't remember this one much but there's a chord progression in it I like very much and the beginning is excellent. Need to get into it more I think. Missing! Me being a Dream Theater fan can really appreciate this one...fast, insane, and crazy with odd time it's good to0 hear Enchant break out and do things like this every now and then.

Overall, a very good album with some incredibly strong material. I still haven't heard Time Lost or Break and this made me want to even more(I have Time Lost just never got around to playing it).

What are your thoughts on Wounded?

I think it's a very strong album, well worth the purchase price...but at the same time it's my least favorite Enchant disk.

I do agree that Ed's rocks on that bass...he's got great instincts.

You didn't mention See no Evil, which is one of my favorite songs from that album, so I'm mentioning it now.

MEMBERS AND GUESTS OF THIS BOARD, EVERYONE WHO CAN READ THE LOOK OF MY TYPING, KNOW THIS....SEE NO EVIL IS A GREAT SONG!

I feel better now. ;)

Tangerine Dreamer said:
It's my 2nd favorite Enchant-album right behind the debut.

My favorite songs from the album are "Missing", "Look Away", "Pure" and "Fade To Gray".

It's an amazing album, I was just listening to it last night.

"Wounded" took me a long time to get into... but now I LOVE IT! I listen to it constantly... it has some of Enchant's best material! There also seems to be a very aggressive guitar style on much of the album. "Look Away" is one of my alltime favorite Enchant songs... and features possibly my favorite Doug Ott guitar solo.

It´s certainly the Enchant album most difficult to get into, and up until now I tend to think it´s also their weakest effort to date. The first five tracks are great, "Broken" and "Hostile World" having grown hugely on my recently (I have always liked "Below Zero", "Fade 2 Grey" and "Pure"). However, it drops quite a bit with "Look away" and "Armour"; I agree to you, DTArtstar, those two are the album´s "losers". "Distractions" and "Missing" are a little better, but don´t hold a candle to the first five tracks.

"You didn't mention See no Evil, which is one of my favorite songs from that album, so I'm mentioning it now.

MEMBERS AND GUESTS OF THIS BOARD, EVERYONE WHO CAN READ THE LOOK OF MY TYPING, KNOW THIS....SEE NO EVIL IS A GREAT SONG"

Hehe...I didn't no See No Evil was also on Wounded... :Spin:

Stormbringer I agree with you saying the first 5 are the best...just unreal in the amount of quality in these songs. I can't believe I've had this album for two months and just started listening to it a week ago! I need to start listening to Time Lost now

I must admit that 'Armour' is my favorite song off 'Wounded'. I love the feel of this song and the lyrics are very meaningful to me (in my own personal way). One of the things I love about Enchant is how all their songs have a different feel to them giving us a wide variety of styles and depth to enjoy. 'Wounded' is an excellent album in my opinion.

Jay

Wounded was my first Enchant album and because I loved it right away I bought all the other Enchant albums as well. One thing I regret is that when I play it to my friends they always complain about the mix and the sound. And somehow they are right. I can get passed this but if Blueprint and Wounded could have a better sound like Juggling, Blink and Tug they would be even more killer albums . There are a lot of remastered CDs these days. Most of them I don't order, but I would surely buy remastered versions of Enchant's first two albums.

The Stormbringer said:
I like the sound of BOTW, very clear and pleasant. :)
Seriously? Blueprint sounds really cheap to me. It doesn't bother me as much as the when I first started listening to it, but it's still there. *Shrug*

DTArtstar said:
I need to start listening to Time Lost now

Time Lost is a killer! The 4 songs are somewhat similar to Wounded IMO, however, they appeal more to me than Wounded. And the last 3 songs are amazing... typical and not-typical for Enchant at the same time.

Anyway, I rate wounded as the wakest of Enchant albums, but it's definitely still a great album with some excellent parts and songs on it. I love especially Pure, Look Away and Hostile World...

outofthisworld said:
Time Lost is a killer! The 4 songs are somewhat similar to Wounded IMO, however, they appeal more to me than Wounded.

I agree! I also like "Blind Sided", "New Moon" and "Under the Sun" better than most of "Wounded" (I don´t like "Foundations" that much.). More keyboards, more diversity. :)

Hmmmmmm

Not sure if you all aware of this but two of our strongest songs "New Moon and Under the Sun" where going to be on Wounded and then some bad decisions were made and they ended up on Time Lost? and that ended up kind of an extended EP? I think it ended up working out pretty well though.

Armour never did get finished properly and the Keyboards were aweful, nothing like the original sounds and style Doug wrote. The demo is awesome I still have it. Hey I rarely listen to this one myself just because I like the others more?

Although I think it was a great second effort due to the circumstances at the time. You are always going to get blasted by someone no matter how much work you put into something, and others will appreciate it? I guess the true fans hah? no knock on anyone it is just the way it is?

Wounded is what it is? If we were to go back and re-record Wounded and BPOTW today with what we have learned and what new equipment we have I think people would be surprised.

Below 0 is still an ass kicker live and we will be playing it on tour. Fade to Grey and Hostile World were great live songs as well.

I think Pure was the best song on the disc, and a major breakthrough with Doug as a producer, engineeer.

Pure is an amazing song...and BROKEN!(in case I don't say it enough). I think Wounded is a really incredible album. It's amazing how strong the songs are on here. Every song has some incredible parts in it.(even Armour and Look Away).