Writing motivation

mrbean667

Sep 12, 2008
Sydney
When I sit down to write, nothing comes out! I usually just end up screwing around with the guitar and never get any good riffs.

How do you guys motivate yourselves when writing?
Do you set goals or anything, or just keep what sounds good?
Cheers.:kickass:

If you can't write, you can't write. Some people just blow at songwriting. My writing process involves just fucking around, remembering whatever I play that I like, until I get an idea for a song based around one or two riffs I've written, at which point I try to figure out more riffs, structure, etc.

How long have you been playing for? I don't think I wrote anything decent for at least two years...

I think having an understanding of common riff structures definitely helps in writing, though. So does knowledge of music theory.

I've only been playing guitar for about a year, but I know a bit of theory through :lol: saxophone.

After a hell of a long time, eventually I can get some stuff out, but it all seems to cliche to me whenever I play it back later.

Writing for an instrument is like writing any type of literature: If you force it, it's going to sound forced and shitty. You can't force good writing. Try fiddling around and then getting one or two riffs down and then go from there. Go back to them later if you have to and see if they aren't cliche or whatever

I am hungover, so this post probably sounds stupid

Don't overthink. Forcing isn't that big of a deal, I wrote one of my favorite works by force in 15 minutes to see if I could pull it off and it turned out great. Don't second guess, don't overthink, just do it.

A friend of mine tried playing while high. He said everything sounded great at the time but later on he realized it had been shit.

If you've been playing a year, I'd recommend working more on improving your playing than writing material.

Its more in the timing, the rhythmic value, the groove, than it is the notes or chords. Most note or chord pattern combinations have been done, its in the rhythmic feel behind them that can be more origional and less cliche. This is one problem early on in your playing, later as you become more rhythmically advanced and groove oriented you might come up with something catchy. Many professional metal bands and other styles of music have cliche, rehashed riffs with typical timing, from there its the vocal application and little things in the arrangment that could still make a decent song.

I have written two decent songs in my head away from the guitar that I then spent the time to figure out on guitar. This was a satisifying experience and they really did come out well. These came from vocal and melody ideas and all came together at the same time, giving me a completed song. I cant seem to get back to where ever I was in my head at that time.

Most of my other stuff has been that which for what ever reason just comes out from open jams. This has been rewarding too when at times they have been a long, well flowing nearly complete guitar rhythm piece, right out of the clear blue within 10 minutes. But then stalls out for months with no lyric or vocal direction which is not my strong suit to begin with.

I have also nearly always been blessed with a few good friends that have been drummers I played regular with. My best friend was a excellent natural drummer when we were teenagers so I had someone to rhythmically guide me and feed me from day one. I can't say enough about the benefit of being able to interplay with a drummer to get a groove on and be creative. It a form of inspiration I guess. I have used them like cheap whores....... lol now some of my stuff stumps drummers until they get use to the timing and feel changes

Im not sure about you, but I know after watching a band live, especially if I love them, I have a habit of coming home and writing all night, and for the rest of the week. It can be very inspiring

I try to find inspiration from things. Maybe I listen to a classic metal cd that I really loved in my youth and haven't heard in some time. Maybe I go to a live show. Sometimes I look elsewhere to art or a book.

I keep a tape recorder handy and when an idea, no matter how small hits I record it so I don't forget. Then I listen back when the tape is filled and I'm usually surprised at how good some of the ideas are and also how bad..haha

I too struggle to write if I'm "trying" to write... Like if I had no firm idea of what I wanted to do. My best works have been spontaneous, really...I start jamming out and get an idea, or come up with a good riff. And somehow it just seems to start flowing from then... Often though I do have one or two ideas before I even begin, like a vocal melody or a lead or a rythm, especially when I'm driving to/from work haha.

And as far as theory skills/knowledge goes, I'd say it's probably beneficial, but personally I've never really got into it that much - and I think I do fine. I wouldn't say it's a necessity.

In terms of inspirations...watching other bands can do it. I watched a local BM gig once and afterwards wrote one of the fastest, more-tradinally oriented BM songs I've written. Other than that I do a fair amount of travelling through scenic countryside...that often gives me ideas, though perhaps more lyrically than musically. There's a link to my stuff in my sig if there's any interest there...

When I am angry or sad I usally get the feeling that I "have" to write. Therefore negative feelings are a very important source of motivation. Other times the music comes first and then I try to find lyrics to it.

A friend of mine tried playing while high. He said everything sounded great at the time but later on he realized it had been shit.

If you've been playing a year, I'd recommend working more on improving your playing than writing material.

My drummer and I proposed a stoner side project but I'm starting to think that our writing styles are too different to work together.

His stuff ends up sounding really energetic and major (one riff sounded like it had been written by a Christian edge rock band or something) and mine sounds deep, contemplative, sentimental and slightly off-rhythm.