writting the new album

jester00

Sep 4, 2002
Visit site
who else likes the fact that mikael says a number of times in the DVD that he plans to spend a lot of time writting the new material before booking the studio.

he says that previous bad experiences with the recording of deliverance have made him want to prepare a lot more.

i think the new "concept" album hes refering to writting sounds awesome. and im so happy to see them putting thought and time into the writting of this new material when they eventually get round to it.

if they can produce brillant albums by simply rocking upto the studio with only basic structures of songs, hopefully carefully planning lyrics, concepts and music before booking the studio can help them produce a masterpiece.

your thoughts?

This next album has to be the most anticipated music ever for me. I'm thinking MAYH II already, fuck. Damn this shits gonna rock. I should throw myself in front of a truck and hopefully get shot off into a coma for a few months or a year. Collect the $$$ my parents get from the settlement and not have to wait to hear it any longer.

I dunno...sometimes when people try too hard, they seem to lose their essense. Essense is not something that should be concentrated on. If they managed to make such great albums previously without putting much work into it, why should they change? It's almost predictable that when people try to outdo themselves too much, they fall flat on their face. I hope that Opeth will prove this assumption wrong.

2004 I'm sure and I don't think Mike means it like that. He might just want to have every possible aspect of the writing covered so all he has to do is record it because he hates the recording process I've heard. I doubt he has to try to hard because he always seems to be full of ideas and he wouldn't sound so into it if he didn't already have excellent plans for it. He doesn't seem like the kind of person to go into the studio just to make an album. He does it when the time is right and thats why everything is always so wonderful.

some time ago someone wrote a thread titled "give opeth a break", and i totally agree with him.

so, let's be happy about the news on a new album, but i would give opeth all the time they want to relax and take a breath [but i think MFN would not agree with me...]

opethpainter said:
some time ago someone wrote a thread titled "give opeth a break", and i totally agree with him.

so, let's be happy about the news on a new album, but i would give opeth all the time they want to relax and take a breath [but i think MFN would not agree with me...]

Mike won't feel pressured to record by some fucking label. I'm sure hed take up a day job if he had to just to keep the quality of his music true to himself. I think they could use a break but fuck it...go with the feelings man and crank out 20 albums in a year.

osse87 said:
The one thing I'm a bit confused of is the "occult" theme. Does this mean "Paint the churches with blood from tortured Christians!" or something? "Fuck the dead!"

Well, I've heard Mikael say that he thought the whole church burning, etc, was pretty childish, so I don't think we'll have an Immortal/Darkthrone/Burzum album on our hands.

'Occult' doesn't really pin this down as much as you might think. It's not necessarily anti-religious or anything. I mean, think of Sabbath for example. I think darker music works better when occultism is hinted at, rather than overplayed, or every line being "By Satan I pour magma down throat" (a Marduk lyric).

Anyhoo, I'm as eager as everyone else for their next big thing.
Best of luck to the guys as they write and record.

:headbang: