X/Y Stereo Acoustic micing?

gorath23

Feb 6, 2008
I'd like some tips on getting a nice even stereo spread using two mics on acoustic guitar. I've recently purchased a pair of MK-012's and I've got some really nice tones single micing already (6'' off the 12'' fret area). I'm not sure exactly how to position myself and the mics when attempting a stereo pairing though. Being essentially a mono instrument I'm having issues with balance, as obviously one mic will always be pointed towards the soundhole and thus will have the lion-share of the tone and volume.

Anyone tried ORTF instead of X/Y, are you all using a 90 degree angle? Where do you set the cross-point of the two mics in relation to the body, 12th fret or further along?

I've usually used a single large condenser (U87 or equivalent) with a popfilter in front of the hole and small condensers (NT5 or equivalent) pointing at 12th and 3rd fret

Seems like comb-filter city, no? Or do you put one mic all left and the other all right?

I'd rather just stick with the two mics, one to avoid any unnecessary phase issues but also because I only have 2 preamps at my disposal.

The x/y technique is a good one.

But can result in too-much-wideness.. But because there are will no phasing-artefacts you should be able to pan up to taste.

What I do usually:

An LDC (Neumann U89 or similar) on the traditional-rock-n-roll spot one feet in front of the hole (litte "off-axis" to avoid too much whooom) - additional to that I put up a spaced pair (17 cm distance, called "small AB" here in germany) one, two or even more meters (depends on the music) away - be creative - walk in the room and listen to find the perfect position.

That "small AB" setup gives me a better "position" of the guitar in the stereo field - x/y can (as mentioned before) sound too wide.

Don't use ORTF for that...

X/Y with the Oktavas works very good.. I have two of them myself and I have used them with good success.

Nowadays Im using three mics on acoustic guitar. I usually record classical guitar mind you!
I have the sE2200 close to the hole, one MK-012 near the bridge and a sE3 between the 10th and 12th fret.

Spacing has been a bit difficult since I must avoid phasing, but Im experimenting with phase alignment plugins
which will let you position the mics where you want without having to worry about phasing.

With this setup I pan the "rythm" guitar more to the left and the solo stuff more to the right.
Sometimes I reverse that panning for the reverbs.
Some might not like this but I often prefer it. Its so boring having two rythmguitars L&R and then
the solo in the middle.
Of course, this works best for all-acoustic stuff. If you wanna blend with drums, dist guitars and such its
usually best to go with the ye-olde hard-panned L&R guitars.

Thats my two cents!

I found that the best results for XY is to go really wide. Wider than you think you should go. If not you get too much finger noise in one and then too boomy in the other. Usual setup is a small diaphragm condenser on the neck and a large diaphragm condenser on the body.

XY is definitely not my favorite stereo micing technique at all. I do not think it sounds spacious enough, but then again, it depends on what you are micing. For acoustic guitar, I think it could work well.

Try a blumlein on acoustic guitar. It gives a more realistic stereo spread of the instrument within the sound field. I freaking love blumlein.

X/Y will be fine as mentioned. Might be great! But seriously consider and MS. That can be really nice with guitar. You could also try having the sides pick up the top and bottom of the guitar so that the player strums across the speakers from left to right. I might sound like a crazy person, but someone I trust gave me this tip and I'm just passing it on to you. :D

Right. I just couldn't imagine how you'd be able to follow 3:1 unless you put the mic pretty close.

Seems like a good plan though, if you can avoid phase issues