Drumrecording room-micing question...

MetalMiller

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2008
Hesse Germany
www.youtube.com
...Does it make sense to use only one mic to record the room signal. As far as i
can remember some guys on this forum did recordings with just one room-mic maybe i´m wrong. But in that case i will get only one (mono of course) signal! I thought to represent any room (that should sound like a real room) i always need a stereo-setup of two mics. I´m referring that any reverb only works in stereo, so how could this be conducive for my recordings? Any solution on this would be really nice, thanks.

...Does it make sense to use only one mic to record the room signal. As far as i can remember some guys on this forum did recordings with just one room-mic maybe i´m wrong.

I recorded the drums with one room mic and close mics for the freeware mix project (my mix). Works fabulously, but the stereoimage isn't great at all (Surprise surprise!) so I would recommend that you use atleast two overhead mics in addition to that

depends on what you're going for...if you want added depth/dimension/realism, throw up a stereo pair of room mics, far away from the kit

if you want to add balls, stick a mono room mic out in front of the kit, then pancake the track...

If you are doing a metal band, just use good overhead mics because you have to edit everything!!! In the end you use samples....

If you are recording rock, punk, HC, bla bla with a solid drummer is room mic idea is great.

I never realy use the room mic for nothing then effects. So I mostly use one good mic (rode nt2a in my case) about 3-5 meter in front of the kit, about 1-1,5 high.
Then I cut everything under 200hz, compress the hell out of it and use a nice impulse-reverb of a big sounding studio.

The other way for realy progressive, acustic stuff, is to use 2 condensers 3-5 meters away from the kid, and put them on the ground pointing at the kid with minimum 3m between the mics.
And just compress them slightly.

and a tip: Align the room mic so that the snare and the kick is in the same line

this works well for some stuff, not so much for others...again, this is something i would do if you're looking for thick, ballsy, punchy drums...if you want ambience and depth, maintain the original delay between the transients of the room and close mics

this works well for some stuff, not so much for others...again, this is something i would do if you're looking for thick, ballsy, punchy drums...if you want ambience and depth, maintain the original delay between the transients of the room and close mics

agreed, maybe even delay it albini style, makes the room sound bigger

i use nearly always m/s for romm micing. for rock stuff (not too fast) i place em 2 - 4 meter from the kit.
i also record them when i go for a clean replaced drum, but than i place the mics closer 1 meter 1,5 meter from the kit, because the overheads are in that case also verry close to the cymbals, and i will hipass the overheads. so i have the ability with the room mics to give the sound a bit more trash or power if its needed. overheads are to clean and to close to get that feeling.

i unse a U87 for the side and a C414 for the mid. but some km184 or something like that will do the job also if u place them left and right.

kalony

and a tip: Align the room mic so that the snare and the kick is in the same line

Why would you do that man? like greyskull said.. delay it even 20 ms more! then you'll have even less combfiltering and it'll make you rooms sound even bigger :)

Alibini useally does an M/S a foot infront of the kit or places 2 omni's left and right from the kit, on the ground.

Both are awesome!