Y&T on tour - Melkweg/Amsterdam show May 18

Metal79

Aug 5, 2006
The Netherlands
Well, that was, to quote Bill & Ted, most triumphant.
Yesterday, Dave Meniketti and his gang of three shook the house -the Melkweg (Milkyway) club in Amsterdam that is.

Anyone enjoying an old fashioned heavy rock band that performs at a high energy level for more than two hours, would do well catching Y&T on their current European tour. With a setlist filled to the brim with classics (the smasher 'Hurricane', 'Rescue me', 'Midnight in Tokyo', 'Eyes of a stranger', 'Mean streak') and the attitude to match, this band remains a surefire winner on any stage. And the scorching version of 'I believe in you' well made up for the absence of the 'Black tiger'.
Dave Meniketti, you RULE.

Y&T is one band that for some reason I never got to see live. They are truly an underrated band if there ever was one. Wish I was there to see them.

Thanks Metal. Of course fate once more prevents me from seeing them. They play by me Oct. 5th. I'll be at Progpower USA that weekend.:cry:

They play here a lot (their hometown). I actually ran into Dave Meniketti at the Heaven and Hell show in San Jose. He'd just come to watch. This was completely synchronistic, I might add, as I'd been listening to Mean Streak in the car on the way up, and for the first time in a LONG time. I told him I'd just been listening, he gave me the thumbs up....he was a really nice guy.

I grew up in the neighborhood that Dave lives in & my brother is still a neighbor of his, He takes his kids Trick or Treating to his house, LOL.

I remember the 1st time we ran into Dave (before we knew he lived there)he came into longs Drugs Store wearing, I think a blue jump suit, How 80's Rock N' Roll is that, LOL.

Great band! No 'Black tiger' I guess they can't play everything live but that is a tough one to leave out.............

I grew up in the neighborhood that Dave lives in & my brother is still a neighbor of his, He takes his kids Trick or Treating to his house, LOL.

I remember the 1st time we ran into Dave (before we knew he lived there)he came into longs Drugs Store wearing, I think a blue jump suit, How 80's Rock N' Roll is that, LOL.

Great band! No 'Black tiger' I guess they can't play everything live but that is a tough one to leave out.............

:lol: @ the blue jumpsuit.
They did play 'Black tiger' and 'Hang 'em high' at the other gigs, though. From what I gathered, the Amsterdam show was the best (and the longest) of the lot by far, probably not in the least because the audience was pretty euphoric that Friday night. People from as far away as the UK and Ireland had travelled to Amsterdam to see that show (and the other ones), which was amazing.:worship:

I'll post the link to the review I did for www.digital-steel.com around the 1st of June.

Ah, one of those bands I allways seem to miss. I spend the last half week at the coast and didn't see them. Luckely they seem to pass by Belgium alot, hopefully will catch them next year or so...

He's South Bay, isn't he? Like Santa Clara, Sunnyvale area? I must have seen them half a dozen times at that joint down in Campbell. I can't remember the name of the place but there was a Harry's Hofbrau next door that had decent food and $1.25 beers.

I havent seen them since they had dubble header concerts on HeadBangers Ball! I wonder if they still have the big robot maskot?

Santa Clara it is. The Cabaret was the club you are talking about. It could hold up to a 1,000 people I believe, Great place. I was on the guest list there always because my ex. was in ticket sales. We were there all the time from around 85' to 90' Then it just seemed to dry up, no shows & then out of bussiness. Just sits there empty.

So Wheezer you use to live in the Bay Area? We must have been at a few of the same shows.

Nothing going on around here now, Rock is dead!!!! I think I need to move....

"Rock is dead"

I mean where I live. San Jose use to have a lot going on, now with the exception of a few big shows not much. I head to LA to see bands because they skip here or sometimes go up to San Fran.

"Rock is dead"

I mean where I live. San Jose use to have a lot going on, now with the exception of a few big shows not much. I head to LA to see bands because they skip here or sometimes go up to San Fran.

I sympathize.:cry:
But there's hope yet. I live in one the trendiest cities of Europe (DJ and Alternative Hell) and even here, traditional rock and metal seem to be on the rise again. I've been bugging a club booker about a few tours and bands for a year or so and he actually started listening. Booked Metal Church, Trouble, Y&T and others. I hope that continues.

Santa Clara it is. The Cabaret was the club you are talking about. It could hold up to a 1,000 people I believe, Great place. I was on the guest list there always because my ex. was in ticket sales. We were there all the time from around 85' to 90' Then it just seemed to dry up, no shows & then out of bussiness. Just sits there empty.

So Wheezer you use to live in the Bay Area? We must have been at a few of the same shows.

Nothing going on around here now, Rock is dead!!!! I think I need to move....

Yeah! The Cabaret! Thanks. What a shame it's closed. I'll bet we did see a lot of the same shows. Saw Blue Oyster Cult there a few times.

I lived in the Bay Area from November '88 through June '94. Saw a ton of shows out there. The Cactus Club in downtown San Jose was another popular spot. Most of the bigger shows were at the Cabaret or at the Stone in SF. Used to hate travelling to SF for shows but it was a necessity at times. San Jose Civic and San Jose State had a few good shows too, especially the Civic. Cool joint.

I saw B.O.C a few times there!

Downtown Campbell was a good place too, There were several Rock clubs for local bands. + the history going way back, Doobie Brothers, Stevie Nicks started there at the Bodega. Montrose, Deringer, Travers etc. all use to play there up till the late
80's. I think it was called Zaps then.

The Cactus as well as all other live clubs in downtown S. J. can't stay open, to much interference from the police.

The civic was always good for Metal shows in the 80's. Impellitteri w/Graham Bonnet, Y&T, Dio, Queensryche, Yngwie etc.
Ahh The good old days.

I saw Rainbow there on the Rainbow Rising in tour in 76' one of my favorite gigs ever!

I've been bugging a club booker about a few tours and bands for a year or so and he actually started listening. Booked Metal Church, Trouble, Y&T and others. I hope that continues

:kickass: Keep the faith! I hope for your sake that the bands draw big enough crowds so they keep booking rock acts. :headbang: