Yaaaiiiih, It's Lee Hazlewood's birthday today! Hoorayyy!

Board

A role model to mankind:
Jun 13, 2001
Støvring, Denmark
Visit site
As some of you may have noticed, I often talk about Lee Hazlewood, especially when it comes to music we like and I recommended a lot of his songs in the “depressing songs” thread. Today, Tuesday 9th of July 02, he turns 73!!
I could give you a lot his story, but if you’re interested in that, I recommend you go to http://web.inter.nl.net/users/wilkens/ which is a really good site for Mr. Hazlewood. It also has a discography and various other stuff.
Lee Hazlewood has quickly become my biggest idol and it started when I bought Virgil Warner & Suzi Jane Hokom’s selftitled LP, which has two Hazlewood compositions, “Lady bird” and “Summe wine”. Both songs are still my favorite Hazlewood related songs, and are both absolutely fantastic! Both among the 5 best songs I’ve EVER heard!
If you search Kazaa, you won’t find many results, as I think only 6 of his 27 albums are released on cd! Rest is vinyl only (YEAH!).
Songs of his that has made a great impression on me are:

Virgil Warner & Suzi Jane Hokom “Lady bird”
Virgil Warner & Suzi Jane Hokom “Summer wine” (both songs written by Hazlewood and both absolutely fantastic! Suzi Jane’s voice is also gold on these two songs!)
Lee Hazlewood: “Wait and see”
Lee Hazlewood: ”Forget Marie”
Lee Hazlewood: “The night before”
Lee Hazlewood: “What’s more I don’t need her”
Lee Hazlewood: “Bye babe"
Lee Hazlewood: “Friday's child"
Lee Hazlewood: “For one moment"
Lee Hazlewood: “Your sweet love"
Lee Hazlewood: “My autumn's done come"
Lee Hazlewood: “Come on home to me"
Lee Hazlewood: “Paris Bells”
Lee Hazlewood: “Won’t you tell your dreams”
Lee Hazlewood: “Rosacoke Street”
Lee Hazlewood: “She’s funny that way” (from “Love and other crimes”)
Lee Hazlewood: “Poet, fool or bum” (One of the only uptempo song of his, that I like!)
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Paris Summer"
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Summer wine"
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Sand" (he also did a version with Suzi Jane Hokom)
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Lady Bird"
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Some velvet morning" (Nancy sings out of tune on this!)
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Arkansas Coal (Suite)"
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Tippy Toe”
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Sundown, Sundown”
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Sand”
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “I’ve Been down so long (it looks like up to me)”
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood: “Big red balloon” (the only uptempo song of theirs that I like, although it’s not superb.)
Lee Hazlewood & Ann-Margret: “Victims of the night”

Lee started out sounding pretty country in the early 60’s, but over a couple of years changed into more “normal” pop, if you can call it that. The songs I mentioned aren’t jolly happy shit like “It’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to” and shit like that, but more sad and haunting!
Check his music out, he’s more of less the guy that really turned me on to other stuff than just metal and 70’s funk! His best period in my opinion is 1965 – 1971.