Y'all remember them dern injuns?

metu

Nov 21, 2002
MI, USA
Visit site
Does anyone know of any metal band which uses native american influences? I would especially like to know about bands which may use the instruments and structure, but any influence which you may pick out will be of interest to me.

Heheh. Yup, I've found none so far.

Freaking interesting indeed. I think it would be so cool. Maybe a doom band called Trail of Tears, a black metal band called Blackfeet, a death metal band called Fort Apache.... Of course, these names are probably already taken, but aren't they all. :]

:]

I've listened to a little bit. It's hard to find. It seems that there are many articles and bios, but very few samples on the internet. I've been meaning to check it out in more detail. I hope to do so soon.

P.S. It's especially hard to find a sample on the internet which does the full bodied sound of a cedar flut and bass drum ensemble justice. :]

Mirabal is traditional Native music with flutes and drums and story telling, etc.. It's very good actually. I have his DVD - he did a show a couple of years ago for PBS (that's what the DVD is) - and it has the dancers, drums, guitars, etc, - all that stuff. One or Two of his songs sounded like blues songs (or close to that) . look at his website or look him up on www.amazon.com - they've got all or most of his cds. Oddly enough, Robert Mirabal was influened by Led Zepplin and Midnight Oil!!!

www.nativecelebs.com has a music section, but it's going down fairly soon, so check it out!!!

www.jananation.com - this site is by a Native artisit named Jana. I'm not familiar with her music, though... I've just seen a couple of articles floating around here and there which is how I found out about her.

Right on. Thanks.

I'm checking out Robert Mirabal now.

I read an article a long time ago, relatively, that argued that Native American music is a long-overlooked influence on the early blues songs. Quite interesting, I thought.

Have you heard the Hendrix tune Cherokee Mist? That song rules. :]

It looks like Jana's a pop singer.

Delphine Tsinajinnie seems cool. Have you heard her stuff? I found her from the links section of that nativecelebs site. I love her mission statement and these samples are cool. Vocal Navajo music.

http://www.canyonrecords.com/delphine.htm

Click on the links in the bio for the samples. They're short, but interesting.

Canyon records seems like a good distro for traditional NA music.

Hey, what's up?

I have not heard of Delphine Tsinajinnie, I'll check her out, though and that link you provided! I probably did hear that Hendrix song at some point, but don't remember it!

www.silverwave.com is another Native Record company.

Well, in addition to the Native Music, I also like Native Movies! I am not Native, but have always had a fascination with Native Americans.

Take Care!

Shit. :]

I'm a whopping 1/128th Potawatomi. It's enough to keep my interest up in the customs. Not enough to help get me into a better college, though. :]

Silverwave seems like a great site.