YAM (yet another mix) :)

davormen

Nov 27, 2005
:wave:
Hey guys! New here, just stumbled upon this forum recently, seems like a great place. It usually takes me 6 months to register on a forum, so this was very quick by my standards :Spin: ...
Anyway, as a sort of introduction, I have a mix for you - it's my band and it sounds like shit (as it was done in 3-4 hours total with no equipment), but at least you can get the idea of the music... Comments are welcome, but there's nothing I can do to change it now (it is fairly old and was done in Sonar and I'm using Nuendo now)... it was just a quick demo anyway... if anyone's interested, I'll tell you what was used in the recording...

Here's the link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/8239082/Necropolis.mp3.html

Vocals sounds too loud and detached for my taste, and the drums are too boxy. Too much room ambience. I don't like the guitar tone at all. But overall it's a decent mix.

~BURNY~ said:
Vocals sounds too loud and detached for my taste, and the drums are too boxy. Too much room ambience. I don't like the guitar tone at all. But overall it's a decent mix.
I'd agree with you on most points. The drums are BFD, but due to some issues with the VST wrapper for Sonar (and the DX version kept crashing), I couldn't get all the separate channels, so this is just BFD stereo, processed with overall compression and eq. I tried to take out some of the boxiness with eq, but the drums lost too much body and "liveness", so I left it this way. Actually, I think it's not that bad, except for the bass drum, and I don't think there's too much ambience on the drums (taste I guess). The guitars are a different matter altogether. There is definitely too much room on them, and I probably overcompensated for it being a direct recording (Digitech Metal Master straight into a Behringer desk pre, that should also explain the guitar tone (which I don't particularly like, but is on the slightly worse side of okayish for the style of music)). As far as the vox are concerned, I like louder vox on recordings and I've noticed in many mixes posted here that the vox are too buried for my taste. I like to be able to hear and understand clearly what the guy (or gal) is singing (or screaming/growling) about, while still making out what the band is playing. I think that is the case here, however, if I mixed it again, the vox would maybe come down just a tad. It was mixed to played at a local metal club which has abysmal acoustics, so I took that into consideration as well. Actually, it comes out surprisingly well in that place, but I still think (or agree) that it's not so good overall...
Anyway, thanks for listening and your comments...