Yamaha HS80 Speaker stands

If it's at all possible, build them yourself. I built two stands for less than $100 total that are filled with sand and weigh almost 100 pounds each, made a big difference in the performance of my monitors and there is no way I could find similar ones anywhere near that price.

Just make ur own dude... I made mine with free wood i got but should go less than $100.. I think i posted a thread when. I made them

What is the best material to build your own speaker stands? MDF, filled with sand?

Yes. Build them or buy them, but the big stands filled with sand, etc. are the best way to optimize your monitor's performance. Sorry, but these cheap metal stands you guys keep posting are good for being literally just something to set your speakers on, but unfortunately that's it.

+1

and no spikes.
blu-tack or foam > spikes

I just built mine, and I realized that I haven't thought of floor decoupling. I was thinking of spikes and a carpet, you think that foam and/or tac will work, too? Can you clarify why?

I just built mine, and I realized that I haven't thought of floor decoupling. I was thinking of spikes and a carpet, you think that foam and/or tac will work, too? Can you clarify why?

It's something I Googled up on a while back, but I didn't keep any links.

I read at least one test, (from the hi-fi side of things IIRC) with measured results which showed that between the speaker and the stand, blu-tac or foam worked better than spikes for reducing speaker vibration.

Can't remember the source. Some old magazine I think.

Since my stands were spiked both ends, I decided to try it with blu-tac between speaker and stand, and foam between stand and carpet. Purely subjectively the sound seemed to clean up quite a bit.

I'd have tried foam at both ends too, but I didn't have enough foam, and then I kinda drifted off into fiddling with other things...

I don't honestly remember much of the technical reasoning involved, sorry.

I read at least one test, (from the hi-fi side of things IIRC) with measured results which showed that between the speaker and the stand, blu-tac or foam worked better than spikes for reducing speaker vibration.

Ah, I see. Thanks for your reply. I'll try the some foam tommorow. I bet it will sound better, right now it's just wood on wood (no gay reference haha), and it does resonate with stuff around the room.

And back on topic, i would also suggest building your own, that way you can make them the exact height you need, plus it won't cost you a fortune.