Yamaha HS80M vs HS50M + HS10W sub

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
I think I'm going to be buying one of these, but not sure which to go with. I've heard a lot of good feedback about the HS80M here, but read elsewhere that some people liked the HS50M + sub better.

Which set of monitors was the sub designed to be used with? the HS50M? both?

Have any of you compared the two different sizes of monitors?

Give me your opinions.

The ads say the sub was designed to work with both monitors, you can adjust the high- and lowcut.
I only compared HS80 to HS50 without sub and the 50's had ridiculously few bass frequencies, while the 80s had quite a bit of bass (more than the Adam A7s for example)

I guess HS-50 plus subwoofer would give you a more detailled low-end and perhaps even low-mid-range because the main speakers can "concentrate" on the mid frequencies..
You really should try both options for yourself, the Yammies are available in like every music store (at least over here) so you won't have a problem finding a shop carrying both monitors.

If you think of uprading someday to the really expensive monitors like Opals/bigger Adams/Klein+Hummel etc., I'd get the 80s.

Eh I would probably go with just the HS80s, the low end will be totally fine with just those IMO.

The ads say the sub was designed to work with both monitors, you can adjust the high- and lowcut.
I only compared HS80 to HS50 without sub and the 50's had ridiculously few bass frequencies, while the 80s had quite a bit of bass (more than the Adam A7s for example)

I guess HS-50 plus subwoofer would give you a more detailled low-end and perhaps even low-mid-range because the main speakers can "concentrate" on the mid frequencies..
You really should try both options for yourself, the Yammies are available in like every music store (at least over here) so you won't have a problem finding a shop carrying both monitors.

If you think of uprading someday to the really expensive monitors like Opals/bigger Adams/Klein+Hummel etc., I'd get the 80s.

Yeah, I guess I should just visit a music store around here and see if I can listen to both before buying. More bass from the HS80Ms would be cool, but not if the low mids are cloudy/muddy... That's the only reason I was thinking the HS50M + sub might be a better option...

I don't really plan on getting more expensive monitors anytime soon. I don't really buy into the idea of needing really pricey monitors. I had a pair of Adam A7s and didn't like the way they sounded. I ended up selling them after owning them for about a month. Since then I've been using a really old set of Yamahas which I'm really comfortable with, but I'd like to upgrade now, and I've heard a number of people saying good things about the HS series.... Some of those people actually switching from Genelecs/Adams/etc. to the Yamahas... I guess I'm more interested in them, because they are supposed to be the successor to the NS10s, and I know how widely the NS10s are still being used...

Here's a frequency response comparison of all 3:

ns10vshs50mvshs80mvshs10w.png

If you're able to, get the 80's with the sub. With the crossover at 100 Hz, you'll have a sent up that's +/- a few db all the way down to 40 Hz (disregarding the effect of the room of coarse).

If I get the sub, does it connect directly to the two monitors? I mean, it doesn't need its own output from my interface, does it? I ask because I use an RME PCI card with only two outs.

The Hs80 has allot bass really. Had a customer in the studio the other day and he thought i had an additional sub in the room which i don't. But my room is treated properly.
The monitors are great.

The cool thing about the HS50s is that if you put the mid EQ to +2db and the low cut at 100 Hz, their response is nearly identical to NS10s.

I own the hs80 and can only say good things about them.
they are very very accurate (the frequenzy tablet shows it) and have enough low-end.
The mids are very very clear, sometimes so clear and honest that the ears get tired very fast....but IMHO this is a very good thing, because I can judge my mixes and others very well...

Just bumping this thread because I have a pair of HS80Ms, a pair of HS50Ms, and a sub here in my room right now and just got done comparing everything...

The conclusion: HS80Ms sound awesome, plenty of bass, nice crisp highs, and I like the way the mids sound. HS50Ms are pretty good too... they are similar sounding for sure, but the mids aren't as nice... they are more middy in a bad way... kinda boxy/fuzzy in comparison to the HS80Ms... and obviously they don't have the same lowend extension. They are still pretty good though for the money.

The sub is kinda cool, but honestly I don't think it adds a whole lot. The HS80Ms don't need it... it's a bit unnecessary and not easy to place in a good spot in the room.

I think I'm returning the HS50Ms and the sub and just keeping the bigger HS80Ms.

Actually, I've been spending some more time with the HS50s + sub together and actually it seems pretty good if you get the sub dialed in at the right volume. I may end up keeping them after all...

The HS80Ms definitely sound better though and don't NEED the sub.

Agree that the HS80 don't need a sub and work just fine by themselves. I've had them for a few years now, and have been using them in a fairly well-treated room with careful attention to the monitorplacement.

Last year I did the mix for a cinema-presentation of a shortfilm that had ambient music with quite some action in the subs. I have been to the premiere, because I wanted to know how my mix would translate to such an environment. I was quite surprised that it was pretty much spot on how I intended it to be. I'm very happy with these monitors!

i owned 2 hs80ms for about 5 years before i bought an hs10w

insane

you want 2 x hs80m and the sub

i hear shit i never heard before

end of story

Since my last post I'm now using HS50s + Sub (belongs to CFH_13 actually) + IK Multimedia ARC 2. Massive improvement!

I keep my monitors flat except +2dB high boost because my broadband absorption was really dulling the highs before, ARC showed me the problem.

My sub is dead center between the monitors, that also made a big difference.

Yeah, I've decided on keeping both sizes of monitors and the sub. I don't think the HS80Ms need the sub, but it can be useful... particularly on electronic music. The HS50Ms don't have the top end of the HS80Ms that I like, but they are still pretty nice for the price and will serve well as an extra pair of speakers... or just in situations where I can't be too loud. (The HS80Ms are pretty fucking loud.)