Yamaha HS80M vs HS50M + HS10W sub

I want a sub for my HS80's just because I watch movies/tv and play video games through my interface and monitors. IOW, I want the boom for that stuff! I'm not sure I would need it for mixing though, the HS80's have plenty of lows on their own for that purpose.

they really don't though. they wouldn't make the sub if the hs80m's could produce enough low end. without the sub you literally can not understand how powerful things below 80-90hz are.

they really don't though. they wouldn't make the sub if the hs80m's could produce enough low end. without the sub you literally can not understand how powerful things below 80-90hz are.

That's just silly. The sub isn't a requirement, but something you can add to the system if you want. I've gotten along fine so far without one, so have tons and tons of other HS80 users. Of course the sub reveals more in the low end, that's the point, but to say it in a way that suggests the HS80's on their own are inadequate is just nonsense. If that were true, then how come all my mixes (especially the low end) translate perfectly fine on other systems? The sub just extends the awesomeness of the HS80's, that's all.

I'll get one eventually, and use it for mixing at least once to try it for that, but I know from my experience the HS80's on their own are just fine.

I agree with 006, having all 3 here in the room with me. I think the thing is that really most metal doesn't have all that much sub bass. I find the sub more useful for more sub-heavy music... certain styles of electronica, reggae/dancehall, some rock stuff... but not really metal...

Hey, I'm new to this forum, I found it via a google search for people using the Yam monitors with the sub. I have had the HS50Ms for a while now and just got a HS10W sub.

The reason I was searching was I wanted to see where people have their high & low cuts, and eq switches, etc set. Obviously, stuff will vary by room and taste, but there has got to be a best practice, and most people probably don't have this set up in a huge room, so what sounds best is probably similar.

I do agree with Josh though, you probably don't need the sub for mixing metal with the HS80s, but if you are mixing music that has a focus on the sub bass, especially sustained sub bass, like say modern EDM like dubstep or drum and bass, then it would be crucial, because you are trying to push the subs in a club with your track and you need to be able to translate to that.

I think everyone agrees for electro/rap/etc. (where sub content is obviously an important element for the style) the sub is a no-brainer, there really wasn't any argument to that. But I digress.

As far as the switches on the monitors, I use the 80's, my switches are set neutral, but that works for my room and what I like. As you said it depends on the room and the person using them... there isn't a "best practice" or anything for the switches, it's whatever sounds good to you in your room.

I always figured if you had to tweak the switches beyond the neutral settings you've either picked the wrong monitors or need to do some work on your room (except in scenarios where you're looking for more bass in a large room without a sub).

Where do have your levels set? The manual recommends starting with the monitors at 12 o'clock and the sub a notch or two lower. Usually I'd have them set a bit higher, and then obviously control the volume from the board.

"●Set the HS50M or HS80M LEVEL control to about 12 o’clock to set the nominal input level to approximately +4dB. If
you’re using the HS50M set the HS10W LEVEL control to about 10 o’clock, and if you’re using the HS80M set it to
about 11 o’clock. You can then fine-adjust the HS10W LEVEL control as required. Another approach would be to adjust
the HS50M/HS80M output level to achieve the desired relativebalance with the subwoofer."

Also, are any of you using the room control if you have them close to a wall? It cuts 2 or 4db at 500hz.
"●Set the HS50M/HS80M ROOM CONTROL switch according to the distance your speakers are placed from the nearest
wall (refer to “Proximity to Walls and Corners”, above)."..."The HS50M and
HS80M speakers make this easy by providing a ROOM
CONTROL switch that modifies the speaker’s bass
characteristics to compensate for the exaggeration caused
by nearby walls. As your speakers get closer to the walls
you might find that setting the ROOM CONTROL switch
to the “-2” or “-4” setting gives you more natural response
in the bass range. As a reference, remember that you’re
trying to approach the way the speakers sound when
they’re located more than 1.5 meters (5 feet) away from
the nearest walls"

Last, the manual recommends using the high cut, on the sub, with the low cut on the monitors flat. I have my low cut (from sub to monitor signal) set to 80hz and the high cut on the sub set at 100hz.
"●Start with the HIGH CUT control set at its center click position, which corresponds to a HPF frequency of about 100 Hz.
The HIGH CUT frequency can be adjusted later to achieve the smoothest integration with the HS50M or HS80M
speakers.
●Turn the HS10W LOW CUT switch ON. Adjust the LOW CUT control to achieve the desired degree of bass extension.'

Has anyone compared HS10W and SW10 subwoofers? You'd assume that the HS10W would complement HS80M's better, as it's designed to work with em', but I've also heard a lot of good things about the SW10 and it being supreme over HS10W.