Yamaha HS80s!

Oct 10, 2009
saint louis
www.myspace.com
Just upgraded from some Rokit 6s and all I can say is holy shit. It's like a blanket was pulled from over my mixes. The Rokits sounded good for casual listening purposes but are far from honest speakers, in my opinion. The Yammy's just have so much detail!

Just thought I'd share my excitement! Haha.

Only got their little brother the HS50's here but I love them. As has been said they translate VERY well.

Will be getting a set of 80's when I move into a larger room.

Just upgraded from some Rokit 6s and all I can say is holy shit. It's like a blanket was pulled from over my mixes. The Rokits sounded good for casual listening purposes but are far from honest speakers, in my opinion. The Yammy's just have so much detail!

Just thought I'd share my excitement! Haha.

I'm probably about to be in the exact same plane here. The Rokit 5's don't translate good, like at all.

Guys, I've been using HS50M for almost 2 years now. The problem is, I want more low end. Should I upgrade to HS80M or should I get HS10W Subwoofer? Anyone been using this combo? HS50M + HS10W ?

I love mixing on mine but I have a weird problem with them. Whenever I play a piano vst the sound is distorted even though there is no clipping at any stage. If I play a sine wave at the same pitch and volume it's fine. It's odd because I never had this problem on my old crappy Edirol MA7s.

Guys, I've been using HS50M for almost 2 years now. The problem is, I want more low end. Should I upgrade to HS80M or should I get HS10W Subwoofer? Anyone been using this combo? HS50M + HS10W ?

You're better off using just larger speakers than smaller speakers with a sub. A subwoofer will more than likely distort your perception of a mix unless it's placed oh-so-perfectly in the room. My vote is to get the hs80s. They have plenty of low end for me. Tons, actually.

I love mixing on mine but I have a weird problem with them. Whenever I play a piano vst the sound is distorted even though there is no clipping at any stage. If I play a sine wave at the same pitch and volume it's fine. It's odd because I never had this problem on my old crappy Edirol MA7s.

Sounds like more a software / CPU / ram issue than something with your monitors...unless you've A/Bed them with your old monitors, during the same session. In which case, that's pretty weird.

Sounds like more a software / CPU / ram issue than something with your monitors...unless you've A/Bed them with your old monitors, during the same session. In which case, that's pretty weird.

It's fine through my headphones as well. Nothing to do with software/cpu/ram. I have several different piano vsts and it's the same. Rather annoying as well when trying to practice.

well no, maybe it's not a problem with the CPU/Ram because I had the same problem with my pair of HS80m.
I have some distortion on certain high notes, and yes I notice it clearly if I do the same as the guy said: using a piano vst.
Problems with some tweeters in the production lines I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion @::Xes::, anyone else agree with this? I want to sell my 50s if I'm going to buy the 80s. So there is no turning back.

or on the other hand it could be your ears. High piano notes can cause audible distortion in your ears if they're too loud

There's distortion when the speakers are quiet (conversation level). Never heard of ear distortion with piano lol Certainly never had that when playing loud Rachmaninov on a Steinway.

well no, maybe it's not a problem with the CPU/Ram because I had the same problem with my pair of HS80m.
I have some distortion on certain high notes, and yes I notice it clearly if I do the same as the guy said: using a piano vst.
Problems with some tweeters in the production lines I guess.

I'm glad it's not just me then. Could it be that all HS80ms are like this? wonder if a tweeter replacement could help?