Recommend me some reference monitors

Feb 17, 2007
UK
Yeah there have probably been a thousand threads like this but here goes...

I'm fed up of listening and mixing music on a set of Yamaha multimedia speakers (YST-MS30). I'm a first year music production student and I do a lot of work in my dorm room. The other day I took a mix into college that I did in my room, to say the least I didn't like what I heard though the tannoys in the one of the college studios :erk: . I'm not happy with my some of my current mixes, I'm not going to be able to improve much if up mixing on some multimedia computer speakers :erk:.

so could you recommend me some reference monitors. I've got £400 spare from my student loan, at a push I could make it £550.

I've been looking at M-Audio Studiophile BX8a Deluxe for £234.38
How good are they? Is there anything you would recommend that is better and around £400-550?

I've also been eyeing up a pair of Adam A7 but they are going for £699 so thats just a bit out of my price range, or should I just wait a few extra months to see if I can put more money together to get them.
But its really bugging me I'm not sure how much more I can put up with it, even when I'm just listening to CDs I keep thinking 'damn that sounds boomy, shit and missing top end.'

So please, share your experiences, knowledge of reference monitors and make recommendations for me to check out.

thank you.

Yeah there have probably been a thousand threads like this but here goes...

I'm fed up of listening and mixing music on a set of Yamaha multimedia speakers (YST-MS30). I'm a first year music production student and I do a lot of work in my dorm room. The other day I took a mix into college that I did in my room, to say the least I didn't like what I heard though the tannoys in the one of the college studios :erk: . I'm not happy with my some of my current mixes, I'm not going to be able to improve much if up mixing on some multimedia computer speakers :erk:.

so could you recommend me some reference monitors. I've got £400 spare from my student loan, at a push I could make it £550.

I've been looking at M-Audio Studiophile BX8a Deluxe for £234.38
How good are they? Is there anything you would recommend that is better and around £400-550?

I've also been eyeing up a pair of Adam A7 but they are going for £699 so thats just a bit out of my price range, or should I just wait a few extra months to see if I can put more money together to get them.
But its really bugging me I'm not sure how much more I can put up with it, even when I'm just listening to CDs I keep thinking 'damn that sounds boomy, shit and missing top end.'

So please, share your experiences, knowledge of reference monitors and make recommendations for me to check out.

thank you.
you can often pick up the a7s for less than that...
get them.
you wont regret it

Mike's right.. I can't find them via Google Products for less than 660 new.

Considering Ribbon tweeters are, in my opinion, far superior to conventional speakers - I would go for the A7s.

If you were to choose conventional "speakers" then - I'd go for Yamaha Hs80ms.