Near-Field vs. Reference Monitors.

Mar 21, 2007
NH, USA
www.myspace.com
I've been looking to upgrade my monitors and I've run across a dilemma.

I'm looking into a pair of the M-Audio DSM2, or DSM3s. If you read up on their web page for the DSM series it says... "Redefining the World-Class Near-Field Monitor". It doesn't say anything about near-field for their other speakers such as the BX8a's... which I currently have.

The definition I found for near-field is... "a compact studio monitor designed for listening at close distances, typically between three and five feet. When sitting at this near-field distance, the listener hears a greater proportion of direct sound from the monitors (compared to the reflected sound bouncing around the room) so, in theory, the effects of poor room acoustics are greatly reduced."

Is there a difference between your standard reference monitor, and near-field monitors? Or are all monitors within a specific size considered "Near-field"...

I was under the impression that nearfield and reference monitors were the same thing, just reference is a wider term to cover nearfield and main monitors, they are reference because they have a flat frequency response and accurate time characteristics.

If you are looking to upgrade your monitors demo them, but you might want to check out the asoustic energy AE22, along with the normal offerings from Genelec, KRK, Adam and dynaudio etc.

Joe

That's sort of the impression I was getting... several different terms for the same thing. I just wanted to clear that up so I could continue my search.

I've read some decent reviews about the DSM series. I'm definitely going to demo though, cause i read great reviews for the BX8s and to be honest the results you get from mixing with them are pretty unpredictable.

I would have thought that m-audio would be outclassed when it comes to higher end stuff, but I'll have to see for myself. The review I read was very good, so they may be on to a winner.

Joe

all smaller monitors are going to be considered nearfields...

those that aren't are going to be the big, full-range bastards that you usually only see now in high-high-end commercial studios and mastering facilities

There are nearfield and farfield reference monitors - nearfield being smaller, closed (duh) as mentioned above. Farfields are commonly larger and soffit mounted or stand mounted further from the listener.

As long as I'm replacing what I currently have for the same type I'm happy... I had someone tell me there was a difference between reference monitors, and near-field, and I got all psyched out.