Monitors from another standpoint

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
Ok, most people think that you should have some really good quality/expensive monitors so that you can achive a good mix.

Just wondering if you have shitty monitors, and you listen to reference music (Sneap albums for instance) with them.....and you actually learn what good guitars and good drums sound like through them. Wouldn't you achive near the same result as higher quality/expensive monitors??

I'm gonna upgrade from my logitech computer speakers:cry: pretty soon to some "actual" monitors. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with some 2031a monitors.....that or the cheaper model Fostex or KRKs. And a sub for sure. I wanna go with cheaper monitors cause I wanna spend some money on room treatment too.

It just seems to me that even if you have some shitty Behringers. but know what a good sounding album sounds like through them.....you would then know what to listen for in your own recordings. Right? or have I yet again missed the boat?

Spot on, Im a decent example I guess, Ive got some multimedia PC god fucked Yamaha ones ive had for years. My mixes are sounding pretty decent on them (im scared how they will sound on real monitors). For reference Im going for a Devil Driver/Nevermore kinda vibe and I think im doing ok so far. My speakers seem to be quite bassy so I guess I do take that into account when mixes are played on other systems. Just finding my feet with the mixes so its early days! I shall also be changing mine when ive got the money to some "real" monitors :)

I think if a mix sounds good on shite speakers then they must sound pretty badass on good speakers. Or....there again it might show up all the flaws you cant tell from your shite speakers! oooohhhh no :( :lol:

PS. My kick is the one thing that sounds pretty different through setups. I get a real nice sounding warm kick on my speakers then whack the track on the stereo (with good speakers, but not for mixing kind) and its wayyyy more clicky. I have to find a halfway house with the kick!

Bastard.

The problem is that with cheaper monitors, it's not going to be as clear or true... and while you may become accustomed to how they translate, and be able to compensate in your mixes for that, it's best to just hear it exactly how it should be, and not have to compensate.

I certainly see what your saying, but there are a lot of things that you can't hear on un-great monitors that you can't compensate for, because you just can't hear them. For an extreme example, if you mix on computer speakers and learn how great mixes sound on them, sure a lot of the mix will be good, but the low end will probably be horrible. You also won't be mixing to make it sound good, you'll be mixing to make imitate something else, to make it sound good on a regular system.

But yeah, it's possible and the only option for a lot of people myself included. And, if you're spending less money so you can treat your room, I think that's definatly a good call.

I certainly see what your saying, but there are a lot of things that you can't hear on un-great monitors that you can't compensate for, because you just can't hear them.

+1. Also, your ears will become more sensitive with experience and cheap monitors will drive you nuts.

Expensive monitors will have better stereo imaging aswell, and youll find you will be able to place sounds in a mix and have difined positions for things whereas you have a wash of sound on shite computer speakers.

Oh your all damn right, I just dont have the cash for a pair atm. Some monitors are gonna be my first purchase when I do though!:headbang:

I don't think I could mix on hi-fi or multimedia speakers. I have a cheap set for reference checking purposes and the ear fatigue builds up pretty quickly. I think enjoying the experience of what I'm hearing is crucial for me, along with having some certainty about how well they translate. Accuracy and clarity motivate me and my mixes are hopefully better as a result.

Can someone who is experienced tell me exactly what is wrong with Behringer 2031A ?

I don't think I could mix on hi-fi or multimedia speakers. I have a cheap set for reference checking purposes and the ear fatigue builds up pretty quickly. I think enjoying the experience of what I'm hearing is crucial for me, along with having some certainty about how well they translate. Accuracy and clarity motivate me and my mixes are hopefully better as a result.

I totally agree with you about enjoyment of listening, but I disagree with you slamming of hi-fi speakers. But rereading it, I think we probably have a very different definition of hi-fi.

I have looked at just about every monitor there is these days, and listened to about half of them. I started out with some Realistic speakers 10 years ago, then got the HR824s. What a difference! Then as I listened more, and fully treated my room, I started to hate them. Now I mix with some B&W 602s2 speakers with a Rotel amp, and I couldn't be happier. While these are technically "hi-fi" or "audiophile" speakers, I'm much happier with my mixes. The technology in a $30,000 Tannoy, B&W, or high end JBL system filters down to the bottom, but that doesn't happen with KRK, Mackie, Berhinger.

And the integrated amps in those speakers are total crap too. The $1500 Mackies have about $65 in amp parts in them. What the fuck!? The only cheaper self-powered speaker that I was suprised by was the Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2, which is about 1/5 the cost of a Mackie. If you spend $1000 on used "audiophile" equipment, you can get three times the monitoring system you would if you bought the 824s. I put my B&W system together for $600, and it slays the 824s. It doesn't have quite the low end, but my mixes translate with ease. And the original poster has the right idea about room treatment. I built 24 broadband traps using Roxul Acoustic Fire Batts (AFB) for about $140. This treats two rooms, and works better than anything sold as acoustic foam.

Kevin....yes you're correct. My definition was in a different context. I was referring to Hi-Fi speakers in the context of an everyday home stereo (usually referred to as a "hi-fi"....whether it is high fidelity or not). Some guys use in their home studios. Not High Fidelity/Audiophile speakers as you're referring to :D.

I've attended mastering sessions with a few mastering engineers who work on the types of hi-end systems you're referring to. One of the mastering guys at Abbey Road does exactly that.

It seems like acoustic treatment is also the most overlooked aspect by most folks. I guess it's not sexy enough because there's no flashing lights, but it sure makes more difference than people realise :D

I use a pair of Behringer 2030P's and I like them. As I'm learning more, I'm also learning why or how others could not like them, but I don't hear enough of a quality jump from these to, say, KRK's of the same size, or any other low to mid cost monitors. I don't see myself jumping to buy new monitors unless I:
a.) find a GREAT deal
b.) can spend a HUGE amount of money on what my "dream monitors" would be

Other wise I'm content with what I have. I'm also hesitant to move into the active monitor world, as I feel like I "know" my power amp almost as much or more than the speakers, if that makes sense.

I ended up treating my room over jumping on higher cost monitors, and I feel like I made the right decision...If I could just tame the bass in the room a bit more.

Yeah, but Tue Madsen uses them (plus yamaha hs50m) on his studio for mix and master so...it's all in your ears

Nice logic, bro. For all you know, he might be using the Behringers to hear what his mixes will sound like on the shittiest system possible.

And FWIW, I never really cared for the 824's for mixing rock/metal...but for just about any other music there's pretty much nothing else out there that can touch them at that price point.

I need to graduate so I can get out of my goddamned apartment! Stupid higher education......

'Till then, my Sennheiser cans are my monitors and my mixes always have a FUCKED low end. Quite frustrating. I have to burn a demo disc and play it on 234987 million speakers and change 230975 things before I am remotely satisfied.

Nice logic, bro. For all you know, he might be using the Behringers to hear what his mixes will sound like on the shittiest system possible.

And FWIW, I never really cared for the 824's for mixing rock/metal...but for just about any other music there's pretty much nothing else out there that can touch them at that price point.

824's killed my ears.
whadda bout adam a7s?