recommend me a pair of monitors?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
I got a catalouge from Guitar Center for Black Friday savings event. I noticed they had some monitors in there, I think KRKs which were like $200 each and a pair of M-Audios...not sure but I think they are the Studiophile BX5a Deluxe....said price too low to list....but anyway, I'm thinking of getting a pair soon and am looking in about $200-400 range. I imagine ANYTHING I get will be better than my Altec Lansing computer speakers.

Ok so it appears the M-Audio stuff isn't highly liked. I figured maybe they'd be a nice match with the Profire 2626 but oh well. It appears there is good talk of the KRK V8's which are discontinued....and $750 on Ebay! Bit out of my range. Is it best to go with the 8" I take it? Pardon me, I really know nothing about studio monitors and I'm wondering if it's even worth getting a pair since I wont be mixing in any sort of special treated room.

No problem man. I love my First Gen KRK5's I have AB'd them vs the 6 Gen II's and the Gen II 6's have a much better low end focus. I would get the 6's but I just bought the 5s a few months ago and swappin gout now would be pointless ...lol

Yeah, Guru is right, the KRK's are great. It was a toss up between them and the HS80's for me. I got the HS80's, but I think I'd have been happy with either.

Just wanna throw in that the KRK's have a "strange" midrange...
I switched from GenI Rokits 5 to the VXT 6 and noticed it on both models. I like the VXT 6 but the midrange is a little bit special, imo.
Makes you notch out some freqs that seem muddy or cheap.

^ From what I read, the Tannoy (Reveals?) are excellent in that price range as skeksis said and are well worth checking out.

oK, before I make a move....about passive and active monitors....

active being powered, correct?

Do I need anything aside from my Profire 2626 to be able to run active monitors?