Year round up 2003

I'd like the songs on the Valparaiso demo to be released officially, but if the payoff is SE reforming and recording an album-length epic, who am I to argue? And the festival is in the Netherlands...if I had the money, I'd reserve my flight tomorrow.

Tangerine Dreamer said:
They were quite popular in Europe back in the 80s with hits like "Such A Shame", "Life's What You Make It", "It's My Life", "Living In Another World",´etc. They started as a pop-band but soon evolved into something very interesting.

Here's a good source of information:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDMISS70311121029223125&sql=Briaxlfge5cqo
I checked out some Talk Talk. Very weird... but I think I like it. The vocalist reminds me of Bryan Ferry from Roxy Music... which is a very good thing. I'll have to investigate Talk Talk further. Which is your favorite Talk Talk album? (BTW, I wasn't aware that new No Doubt single... which I suprisingly liked... is actually a cover of a Talk Talk hit... which is much better)

Have you ever heard of Scottish 80's art-pop trio Blue Nile? I've only heard a little bit by this unique outfit that creates exceptionally lush and diverse music... but I think I'll have to order their masterpiece "Hats" very soon!

ProgMetalFan said:
I checked out some Talk Talk. Very weird... but I think I like it. The vocalist reminds me of Bryan Ferry from Roxy Music... which is a very good thing. I'll have to investigate Talk Talk further. Which is your favorite Talk Talk album? (BTW, I wasn't aware that new No Doubt single... which I suprisingly liked... is actually a cover of a Talk Talk hit... which is much better)

Have you ever heard of Scottish 80's art-pop trio Blue Nile? I've only heard a little bit by this unique outfit that creates exceptionally lush and diverse music... but I think I'll have to order their masterpiece "Hats" very soon!

I only have "The Colour Of Spring" and "Spirit Of Eden". Both are great albums, but I think CoS is more accessible and SoE is very mellow, almost ambient-like music.

Blue Nile? I have to check them out!

Originally Posted by yyzmoose

Ars Nova - Biogenesis
Cast - Al-Bandaluz

Can you provide some information on these releases?

Sure. Both bands go in new and exciting directions on these albums. First, Ars Nova:

They are still led by keyboard player Keiko Kumagi, but its no longer an all female trio. The drummer is from the group Gerard, he takes over for Akiko, who does make an appearance on the album but is no longer in the band. A surprising contribution of from Ayreon mastermind, Arjen Lucassen. The use of guitar is a new twist for the keyboard heavy Ars Nova.
This is really a project, as there are musicians from several bands, many classic 70's bands including members of PFM, Goblin and Balletto Di Bronzo.
Here is a listing of musicians:

Keiko Kumagai (Keyboards) "Biocidal Vem / Kei"
Akiko Takahashi (Drums,Voice) "Σ type Humanoid"
Mika (Vocal, Chorus ) "Maria / Mother Earth"

Alex Brunori (Vocal / ex-LEVIATHAN) "2nd Class Pilot of Starship"
Arjen Anthony Lucassen ( Electric Guitars / from AYREON) "Starship ERSNEVIA Ⅳ"
Gianni Leone (Vocal, Synth Solo / from IL BALLETTO DI BRONZO) "Leader of Seventh Existez"
Claudio Simonetti (Synth Solo / from DAEMONIA) "President of World Federal Gov."
Lucio Fabbri (Violin / fromPFM) "Secretary"
Atsushi Hasegawa (Bass / from GERARD) "Soldier A"
Masuhiro Goto (Drums, Percussions, 2nd Electric & Acoustic Guitar, Voice / from GERARD) "Soldier B"
Takeo Shimoda (Drums / from NUOVO IMMIGRATO) "Engineer of Spaceship"
Numero Ueno (Acoustic Guitar, Chorus, Effect) "Doctor"
Robert Allen (Storyteller)
Barbara Allen (Announcement, Computer Voice)
Takehito Kimura (Latin Piano / from TIANANOGUE)
Megumi (Model) "Mother Earth"

Its a somewhat cheesy sci-fi story, but it does not detract much from the music. The opening naration is annoying, I usually skip past the first minute of the disc. What happens next is some very intense symphonic prog mixed with heavy guitar, a much fuller sound than the usual keyboard attack of Ars Nova. Nice use of violin in places. There are some vocals on this, not a first for Ars Nova, the recend live disc and Android Domina contain a couple vocal moments, but overal this is largely instrumental music.

As for Cast, its a much different band this time. Only the keyboardist and vocalist remain, with 3 new members added to invigorate their sound. This time they move more towards symphonic prog, leaving behind mosgty of their neo tendancies. Better production this time out as well. Its a double disc with about 96 minutes of music, little if any filler, including a couple of epics. The vocals are in spanish this time, and sound better because of it. This is simply their finest work, and most original, going in surprising directions. The playing is top notch. If you liked their previous work, this album is a no brainer. If you didn't them much, this should be a pleasant surprise.

Uh oh.....I need to modify my list -- a late entrant into the top 10 --- and yep, it made it into the top 10 -- at number 10:

Frameshift - Unweaving the Rainbow

So alas, Opeth goes to #11 and everyone shifts (LOL!) down one - and dear Yanni falls off the list! Ah well!

I just snagged this CD -- and it is GREAT! Proggy, rocky, a little poppy, and with LaBrie on vox it can't go wrong! Great subject matter too -- the light topic of evolution and genetic engineering!

If you like LaBrie but didn't like his aggressiveness on Train of Thought, give Frameshift a spin!!

Tangerine Dreamer said:
I can't get enough of ASOC and "Steps"... two of my favorite albums ever.
Now with Markus Steffen writing the songs again we can expect something mindblowing stuff from the new album. I have never been this excited waiting for an upcoming album.

The Mars Volta is definitely something you don't hear everyday. I have to give it spin tomorrow.

P.S - Do you know the 80s-band Talk Talk? I bought the album "The Colour Of Spring" and I think you would like it just as much as I do. What a wonderful piece of work. I would call it "Art-pop" myself.
On your recommendation, I just got Talk Talk's "The Colour of Spring", and it is surely one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard! It's very lush, artistic... and progressive. There's a lot of interesting instrumentation and the vocals are glorious. THANK YOU, Tangerine Dreamer! I'll have to get some more Talk Talk.

ProgMetalFan said:
On your recommendation, I just got Talk Talk's "The Colour of Spring", and it is surely one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard! It's very lush, artistic... and progressive. There's a lot of interesting instrumentation and the vocals are glorious. THANK YOU, Tangerine Dreamer! I'll have to get some more Talk Talk.

I'm glad you like it. :)

I ordered "It's My Life" some time ago, but it's currently on backorder. I should receive it soon though. This album is supposed to be more "radio-friendly" than COS, but nevertheless still interesting. I've been listening to Twelfth Night alot lately too.... I didn't know that any band could sound as good as the Fish-era Marillion, but these guys proved that at their best, they can do it. Songs like "We Are Sane" and "Creepshow" are truly amazing.

mgirishfan said:
If you like LaBrie but didn't like his aggressiveness on Train of Thought, give Frameshift a spin!!

Yeap, Mare posted about this Farmeshift band (which I confused with Frameshit at first and found quite funny) and I decided to go and look for that band that didn't sound so familiar. When I found out who were behind that name, and the project that they were developing I went on downloading samplers and falling into the certainty that I was going to buy that album. So good, indeed.

As for my top ten... I don't think I can come up with one this time, mainly because I find extremely hard to rate the best albums of the year. So, I'll mention some of them in no particular order:

- Enchant .- "Tug of War" (I admit that I was expecting the guys to come up with something less astonishing and spectacular, maybe because there are many bands falling into their own musical failure as of late)

- Neal Morse's Testimony (Yeap, quite good, but the explicit religious lyrics are a bit disturbing at times)

- 7 Months .- "7 Months" (As I also stated, this band took me by surprise. The clean sound, the trained musicians and the fine composition caught me absolutely)

- Radioactive .- "Yeah" (Tommy Denander... should I add anything? :D )

- Apocalyptica .- "Reflections" (Wow... and I saw them live... which is even better!!!)

|ng.