Yesterday After Maybe my 40th Listen to TGCD

Rev Jim Jones

Hey kool-aid man!
Dec 17, 2001
Guyana
angelfire.com
I finally came to the conclusion that The Great Cold Distance is the best Katatonia release, ever. I wonder if I'll still feel the same one year from now, or after the next album should I live to see it or the world doesn't end or Katatonia cease to exist (all of which had better not happen).

Who's with me on this one?

It's a great album. I love each song of TGCD but i can't say it is the best, because each Katatonia album is unique and has it's own taste and mood, so the best Katatonia album always changes according to my mood =)

m0rtis said:
It's a great album. I love each song of TGCD but i can't say it is the best, because each Katatonia album is unique and has it's own taste and mood, so the best Katatonia album always changes according to my mood =)
It's pretty much the same with me. It took me many listens (also at least 40) for me to really appreciate and understand TGCD, but it's not my favourite, yet definitely one of their best.

I used to think it is the best when I just got it, and it was love from the first listening. Now I think it's one of the best definitely, but I think I can't make my choice... TD, DODS, TGCD and VE are equal for me... I love them all to death.

Aprilhäxan said:
I used to think it is the best when I just got it, and it was love from the first listening. Now I think it's one of the best definitely, but I think I can't make my choice... TD, DODS, TGCD and VE are equal for me... I love them all to death.

same here...not to death though

LifeDepraved said:
Shh...I don't need to be told what's gonna be my favorite album. :kickass: :Smokin:
no.. I ment I thought you were the master at making up funny katatonia lyrics... but I just dont know anymore...:(

Im not really sure if i have a favorite katatonia album, so i agree to disagree with whatever is posted on this thread

it's all about the mood of the day for me i guess...

reading opinions is interesting though!:rolleyes:

I feel TGCD is a great album, but still TD has to be my favorite. I don't know if any album, in my opinion, has songs as strong as "For My Demons" and "Right Into the Bliss". They're my favorite, obviously. :)

I hate to say it, but I'm not overly impressed with 'TGCD'. It's a little too polished and chunky for me. I miss the old 'Tonight's Decision' and 'Last Fair Deal...' days. Apart from 'Leaders', 'My Twin' and 'Journey Through Pressure' which are as good as any Katatonia tracks just about, it lacks a litte of the old eery atmosphere for me. I know a lot of people love it though, so there must be something wrong with my ears.

Rev Jim Jones said:
I finally came to the conclusion that The Great Cold Distance is the best Katatonia release, ever.

Who's with me on this one?

I think so too. And I'll go even as far as saying that TGCD is the best album ever. 'though the other Katatonia albums are almost as good as TGCD. But still if I'll have to choose one album as the best ever, it's TGCD. After TGCD it's pretty much impossible to put other Katatonia albums in any order. So let's just put it this way - my top 7 albums ever list contains 7 Katatonia albums in constantly changing order.
:kickass:

requiem said:
I hate to say it, but I'm not overly impressed with 'TGCD'. It's a little too polished and chunky for me. I miss the old 'Tonight's Decision' and 'Last Fair Deal...' days. Apart from 'Leaders', 'My Twin' and 'Journey Through Pressure' which are as good as any Katatonia tracks just about, it lacks a litte of the old eery atmosphere for me. I know a lot of people love it though, so there must be something wrong with my ears.

You are not alone. I still haven't gotten into TGCD. Great album, no doubt, but it just doesn't grab me like VE or LFDGD did. I can't even really say where the problem seems to be. Little things seem to bother. Like how Jonas sings some parts or... It might be that there are little elements all over the album that somehow sound like they are forced there just to get it to stand out from the older ones. Something like the new rhytmical elements that aren't to my taste as much as the straighter approach they had before. Dunno...