YIKES! "Tank fire destroys portion of MacArthur Maze!" Ramifications? Workarounds?

sharward

Holy crap, this is a biggie! :zombie:

Tanker fire destroys part of MacArthur Maze: 2 freeways closed near Bay Bridge
. . . A section of the roadway taking traffic from the Bay Bridge onto eastbound Interstate 580 fell onto the connector that brings East Bay traffic from Interstate 80 to Interstate 880 southbound toward Oakland and San Jose. . .​

See this video of the wreckage and this video of a news report at the scene.

Also see this map of the chaos site.

I live about a hundred miles northeast of San Francisco -- a straight shot on Internstate 80.

My original plan was to drive into San Francisco on Friday late afternoon, experience Awesome Day One, head home to Sacramento, sleep, spend some time with the mrs., drive back to San Francisco on Saturday in the early afternoon, maybe catch up with some fellow fans 'round dinnertime, experience Awesome Day Two, then head home to Sacramento.

This incident makes me seriously wonder if that plan is even feasible anymore! Already terrible Bay Area traffic is bound to be unfathomably hellish in the weeks to come.

I'm now contemplating much earlier departure on Friday and a one or two night hotel stay. Moneywise it shouldn't be a problem, but I hate to spend so much time away from home, especially given my being such an absent husband over the course of a recent family emergency.

I'm looking for some advice on this from those who are more familiar with Bay Area traffic than I am (although this major deficit in the system would tend to invalidate most conventional wisdom on the matter!).

I'm also curious if this may impact the show in any way -- are there any performances at risk due to ground transportation reliance on Friday or Saturday? What day are the out-of-town bands arriving? Are their overnight accommodations in San Francisco or outlying areas? What about our beloved local acts?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that's INSANE!!! I know EXACTLY where that is. I used to live in Berkeley for many years and drive to San Jose every day for work. Also commuted across the bridge to get to shows in SF.

So, here are some ideas. When they closed the bridge for construction, I took some bands from the Pound over the longer way. What you can do if you are coming from Sacramento is still go on I-80, but take the 580 west Richmond/San Rafael Bridge exit in Richmond. That means you have to take that (I think the toll is $4 there now) into Marin County. When you get to that side of the bridge, then take the 101 South exit towards San Francisco/Golden Gate Bridge (the merge is to the left). That will take you over the Golden Gate Bridge (toll there is $5). What the will do is take you straight into San Francisco and you just take a right onto Divisidero. The club will be on the left-hand side. Anyone coming from the north bay or Concord, walnut Creek, etc should use this route (Concord and Walnut Creek people should take Highway 4 east over to 80 as the 24 will be REALLY fucked up).

If you are coming from Oakland, San Leandro, San Lorenzo area, go south on 880 to take the 92 west to San Mateo Bridge. Then take 101 north into San Francisco. Go onto Octavia Street (which is to the left of the freeway, since it splits with i-80). Go left on Fell Street and right on Divisadero. Club is on the right side. People from Livermore, Pleasanton, etc should also take this route after you take 580east to 680 south.

If you are coming from Fremont, Milpitas area, take 880 north to 84 dumbarton bridge over to 101 north and then take 101 north into San Francisco. Go onto Octavia Street (which is to the left of the freeway, since it splits with i-80). Go left on Fell Street and right on Divisadero. Club is on the right side.

If you are coming from the South Bay like me (San Jose, Santa Cruz, Mountain View, etc), it is HIGHLY advisable to get over to 280 north to get into the City. This is the ONLY way I go on a rush-hour day because it is nearly ALWAYS better than 101 north. If you are coming from Santa Cruz/San Jose, get over to 85 north towards Mountain View, then take 280 north towards San Francisco. Then take 101 north towards Civic Center/Bay Bridge (exit is on LEFT), which will get you onto Octavia Street. Go left on Fell and right on Divisadero. If anyone on here can remember how to take 280 north to the end to get onto 6th street and can get them over to Fell, please post it. THAT way would be better than getting onto 101 north!!!

If anyone needs any other help with directions or has any other better ways, please post! I know the roadways in that entire area like the back of my hand because of commutes from hell and these are the best things I know. But there may be a way I don't know as well.

Give yourself a couple hours EXTRA to get over here if you're coming from Livermore/Sacramento/San Jose, if you can.

How is this going to effect public transportation. Thankfully, I'll be flying in and taking BART and buses, thus not needing to drive anywhere. Is the subway going to be fucked up as well now?

Okay so I saw a bit of the mess on the TV just a moment ago. For people coming into SF, my suggestion is to check THIS SITE in the morning of the day you are coming into SF:

http://www.sigalert.com/map.asp?Region=Bay+Area

That site is my best friend, I'm tellin ya! I've used it for years. If you need any help trying to read it, let me know. It will give you an idea of what the traffic is like way before you leave. For people that may not think their route will be affected much, you may possibly want to rethink that. The reason being is that all the people that cannot get through one way will inevitably go the other way. Plus people going will also be looking at the mess or what's being done about that area. As I say, SigAlert is your best friend. :p

For TOMORROW ONLY, ALL public transit (BART, Muni, the ferries, etc) will be running FOR FREE. They are adding twice the amount of ferries and I think they said BART will add 50% more trains, too. Right now, they haven't said anything about the long run for transit, but what I am guessing will happen is that they will make BART run later than it normally does and same with some of the bus lines. This is what they did when part of the Bay Bridge fell down in the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. Obviously, a lot more people will take BART, etc. because of the annoyance of the detours and that some people will think of them as confusing. Just allow yourself extra extra time whichever way you decide to get there. As long as you plan ahead, you should be fine and ahead of the game. ;)

It looks like the 880 north to the bay bridge is OK. That goes right around the problem area... But may have more people on it/ But it rarely has heavy traffic on it... We'll see...

BART is running, so no problem if you are taking it... :)

Thank you so much for your insights, Squeak! :) Very helpful information indeed. I had thought of maybe taking CA-37 to US-101, then going south to the Golden Gate... Do you think that makes sense?

I've been listening to KGO-AM 810 most of the day today, and the advice I'm hearing from their traffic reporters is pretty consistent: "avoid the maze at all costs." (For fellow out-of-towners, "The maze" is the area just west of the Bay Bridge, which is basically the scene of the mess.)

--Keith

You're very welcome.

The other thing I thought about is maybe people on here might seriously think of carpooling together, especially if you already know people on here. There are sure some people coming by similar areas (like people from San Jose might be able to get together with people in, say, Mountain View or people in Vacaville can carpool with people in Vallejo or whatever). It's just an idea, although I know it'd be harder on Friday since most people have to work prior to the show. Parking would be a lot easier for everyone that way too, though, and you can split gas and bridge fare.

I'll probably have a few empty seats in my car and I'd be happy to share the ride with anyone along my route. I also have no problem being a "designated driver" as I tend not to drink at shows (since I'm usually driving afterwards).

I live just a few miles from the mess-- and Im dreading all the trips I have to make over the next week into the city- It should be OK getting into the city-- it is going to be getting back that is going to be the problem--

This really does suck-- I narrowly missed this accident as I was driving home Saturday night from a night out with the first band arriving--

I live just a few miles from the mess-- and Im dreading all the trips I have to make over the next week into the city- It should be OK getting into the city-- it is going to be getting back that is going to be the problem--

This really does suck-- I narrowly missed this accident as I was driving home Saturday night from a night out with the first band arriving--
Wow! This all really sucks for you guys who live out there. We will only have to put up with it Friday early afternoon and Sunday morning. Kinda wishing that we hadn't flown into Oakland now. Oh well, I'll just chalk it up to the adventure. I remember the traffic out there well, I would not want to add this to my daily commute out there!

The amazing thing is that no one was killed in this. And now knowing how close you are and narrowly missing it is really scary. Glad that you're OK dude!

FOUR MORE DAYS!!

I'm trying to make light of where the actual problem is, am I correct that it ONLY affects people going FROM SF Bay Bridge, to either Southbound 880, or Eastbound 580? Going into the city doesn't appear to be a problem from any route.

I take bart into the city everyday so I don't drive this unless i'm going into SF for a show. Another alternate route for those going from SF to the East Bay after the show, or those heading to the Oakland Airport afterwards, would be to go south on 101 to the San Mateo bridge.

Here's a good link with alternate routes.

http://www.511.org/promo/baybridge/accident.asp#altroute

Hey no impact whatsoever for us bro. Just a minor inconvenience :mad:

I will see it today when we rehearse right near the mess. Our studio is right off the West Grand exit. It looks quite gnarly.

Thanks to all of you for these great links and totally informitive alt routs, Squeak nails it here thanks for taking the time to do this. I think we will probably take the chill Marin route back and bypass the whole mess.

You know nothing will stop this one from happening. This is going to be a barn burner!

Hey get a room at the famous Pheonix thats where the Enchantees will be hangin.

See you all there! :headbang:

Holy crap, this is a biggie! :zombie:

Tanker fire destroys part of MacArthur Maze: 2 freeways closed near Bay Bridge
. . . A section of the roadway taking traffic from the Bay Bridge onto eastbound Interstate 580 fell onto the connector that brings East Bay traffic from Interstate 80 to Interstate 880 southbound toward Oakland and San Jose. . .​
See this video of the wreckage and this video of a news report at the scene.

Also see this map of the chaos site.

I live about a hundred miles northeast of San Francisco -- a straight shot on Internstate 80.

My original plan was to drive into San Francisco on Friday late afternoon, experience Awesome Day One, head home to Sacramento, sleep, spend some time with the mrs., drive back to San Francisco on Saturday in the early afternoon, maybe catch up with some fellow fans 'round dinnertime, experience Awesome Day Two, then head home to Sacramento.

This incident makes me seriously wonder if that plan is even feasible anymore! Already terrible Bay Area traffic is bound to be unfathomably hellish in the weeks to come.

I'm now contemplating much earlier departure on Friday and a one or two night hotel stay. Moneywise it shouldn't be a problem, but I hate to spend so much time away from home, especially given my being such an absent husband over the course of a recent family emergency.

I'm looking for some advice on this from those who are more familiar with Bay Area traffic than I am (although this major deficit in the system would tend to invalidate most conventional wisdom on the matter!).

I'm also curious if this may impact the show in any way -- are there any performances at risk due to ground transportation reliance on Friday or Saturday? What day are the out-of-town bands arriving? Are their overnight accommodations in San Francisco or outlying areas? What about our beloved local acts?

The Bay Area has had a few days to digest the impact of this multi-million dollar freeway interchange collapse... which, John, does have an impact to city-bound traffic, because a section of an outbound freeway connector collapsed onto another inbound freeway connector.

The good news is that traffic in the area seems to be adjusting pretty well... Although it may be too soon to say for sure without having a few more days' worth of experience.

That being said, David (BAR Fest) wrote in a private e-mail to me: "You actually should be OK coming into the city directly on the 80 -- My feeling is that there will be [fewer] people coming into the city for an evening out . . ."

So, I'm not sure whether I'll be taking I-80 all the way in or taking I-80 to CA-37 to US-101 over the Golden Gate.

A couple of things are certain:
Nothing short of San Francisco breaking off and sliding into the Pacific Ocean will stop me from attending this festival! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

...and...

I will be heading back to Sacramento after each night's show -- no overnight stays for me on this one.​

--Keith

Guys-- I have been over the bridge twice this week and the traffic is very light-- It is very easy on the way back-- I do not anticipate many problems--

See you there!

I'll probably have a few empty seats in my car and I'd be happy to share the ride with anyone along my route. I also have no problem being a "designated driver" as I tend not to drink at shows (since I'm usually driving afterwards).

What time do you think you'll be heading into the city on Friday? I've been trying to decide whether to drive or take the ferry and bus combo, (the latter 'cause I like a Guiness or three) :Smug: but it would be nice to carpool, hang out with you again, and NOT have to drive (all those one-way streets freak me out!)

Can't believe it's that time again, we are so freaking spoiled in the Bay Area!

I've been trying to decide whether to drive or take the ferry and bus combo, (the latter 'cause I like a Guiness or three) :Smug: but it would be nice to carpool, hang out with you again, and NOT have to drive (all those one-way streets freak me out!)
Since we're not sure what path we'll be taking to the venue (quite possibly taking a northerly route), perhaps you can do "the ferry and bus combo" to get to the venue, and then after a night of rock and Guiness, we can drop you off at home afterwards...? You'd be able to direct us around the MacArthur Mess.

Since we're not sure what path we'll be taking to the venue (quite possibly taking a northerly route), perhaps you can do "the ferry and bus combo" to get to the venue, and then after a night of rock and Guiness, we can drop you off at home afterwards...? You'd be able to direct us around the MacArthur Mess.

You're wise to keep your options open! Seeing that this is the first Friday after the maze mess, you definitely should check on the traffic. I'm going to wait until this afternoon to decide which route to take. I'll see you at the show!