Yngwie Malmsteen...your comments

he`s pretty much a great shredder, can play his guitar really good but overall, there are other guitarists that I like better
didnt have any great influence on me, except maybe, that I also like to play that neo-classical-stuff every now and then (though I shurely cant play like yngwie! especially not as fast!)

when I think about it: I dont even know much of his stuff.....

He's definitely a great guitarist, however, playing really fast loses its emotional quality in the music being played.

He definitely had an influence on me early on in my guitar playing, but I don't really follow him that much. He wrote some ok stuff in the eighties though. and for the time he was an incredibly original guitarist. His style hasn't really aged that well though, he writes the same songs over and over and over and over . . .

I think Yngwie is overrated or underrated in most cases. Alot of people complain that he's really boring, which is somewhat true, and alot of people think hes the most amazing guitarist in the world, which I dont really believe either... Yngwie is a fairly large influence for me in the world of neo classical shred, but there are plenty of other guitarists out there who are more than competent... Jason Becker? eh? EH?

Yngwie is the best at what he does, but a one trick pony of sorts.

Like him or not, he probably was one of the last "guitar heroes" as far as taking technical ability to it's extremes, but he is very limited stylistically. I respect him immensely because he plays extremely cleanly and technically, but THAT is his forte'.

Bryant

Yngwie's as limited in his playing abilities as Ace Frehley.

At least Ace has an ego that's in better control and writes good songs.

A very talented guitarist at what he does. A very solid grasp of the classical masters and the way they composed music. The technical skills that he excels at, he REALLY excels at them. He is not as diverse as a lot of other players out there but again - his technique is absolutely fucking amazing.

Speed gets borig after a while but that sonofabitch does shred his ass off at times. Pop in "Black Star" and I don't even need to say anymore.

As a person, he is a conceited, self-centered and egotistical bastard who is truly full of himself. I saw him on the last G3 tour with Vai and Satch...Yngwie put on a good show and he was shredding his ass off. He can still play like a motherfucker but there are musicians I would listen to more than I would him.

Definitely did a lot for neo-classical guitarists and that whole movement. Definitely an innovator and did a lot for shredding. Too bad his attitude sucks ass.

JB

i'm not a fan of shredtacular antics so he's not really my thing. i prefer subtle song-crafting to raw technical ability. his early albums were good in my opinion, but he hasn't evolved beyond them and seems to be re-releasing the same album time after time so i lost interest in him in favor of more radical players.

Valgeir said:
I'll go out on a limb and say Yngwie will be remembered more for his influence on guitar playing as a whole than for his music, good (or bad) as people may think it is.

Ya' know that might be somewhat accurate even though I love his first three releases. There is no telling how many guitarists that threw their guitars against the wall and cursed worse than they ever had after trying to play his stuff.
Yngwie didn't invent the "neoclassical movement" but he took it to a level that was leagues above and beyond others for many years. He will be compared to Hendrix, EVH etc. in time (and already is by many) and he deserves to be.

Bryant