Yngwie with Ripper Owens!

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
I was surprised at how pleasant Yngwie was... Easy to talk to, good sense of humor and not have the bloated ego that we assume he might have....
I even asked the question that was thrown out there about his sololing. I had to rephrase it of course but I think it was good interview. I will get it transcribed and uploaded on the site. There is so much football this weekend to watch in addition to my kids' sporting events that it could be a tall order but we'll see what happens....

Glad it went alright, waiting to read it.

I met him years ago,(about 11) at a guitar/drum clinic. His wife sat next to him the whole time. She looks a lot like Cindy Crawford. He was totally kind, and talkative to everyone that got his autograph. He has a little bit of an ego, but it's misplaced, and taken out of context unfairly. He knows that he's one of the best guitarists EVER, we all know it. What's wrong in wanting to show off talent, when you're that good?

I met him years ago,(about 11) at a guitar/drum clinic. His wife sat next to him the whole time. She looks a lot like Cindy Crawford. He was totally kind, and talkative to everyone that got his autograph. He has a little bit of an ego, but it's misplaced, and taken out of context unfairly. He knows that he's one of the best guitarists EVER, we all know it. What's wrong in wanting to show off talent, when you're that good?

Well put. I've never met him, but that's how I pictured him to be. I've struggled to explain his ego to people, but that pretty much sums it up.

I never met him but always thought his ego was justified. I'm more of a fan of his early work with Rising Force, Trilogy, Odyssey, and Eclipse. I did see him live and it was great. I just saw he is playing here on the 18th. I may have to go see him with Ripper.

I saw him open for:

AC/DC - Sept 14, '85 (East Rutherford, NJ)
Triumph - Oct 1, '86 (Syracuse, NY)
Maiden - Jan 11, '87 (Troy, NY)

But seeing him headline L'amour in Brooklyn, NY on the Odyssey tour (April 16, '88) was out of this world. Only saw him headline one other time in '98 (9 times overall).

Definitely in my top 10 favorite guitarists...

I saw him twice. One time headlining, support was Lizzy Borden, back in '97 I think. The second time, I remember it was at Jannus Landing, (St. Pete) but I can't remember who was the Headliner. I think it was Savatage....

You handle the questions realy well, specially the solo one and the best album. You don{t feel Yngwie full of hot air in the interview, but surely he's strong minded towards having complete control of his creation.

I found (to my understanding) a counterpoint here:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The only time that I had a singer come in and do his thing was with Joe Lynn Turner; personally I became very frustrated with that so I haven’t done that since.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For the record I’d also add Odyssey to the list. I have a soft spot for that album. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank You, that’s the slick sounding album. [/FONT]

"Odyssey" is the album in which JLT sings, what do you think he has in mind when he called a slick sounding album, when at the same time he dislikes the way Turner managed the vocals?