You don't know how begin to learn more languages? Just click here!!!

hmmm "one bean,one bean the bag gets full"
ok,that was the fucked-up while translating strict meaning of this
:rolleyes:
but anyway isn't it cool that some sayings exist in many languages? :cool:

oh! I guess there are loads of saying and idioms very similar in many different languages....
the typical saying that you'll get lucky if you get up early (I tried it and I was too sleepy to see if I was lucky!!!)
and the ones about the weather, and the ones that compile 2 thousand of human idiocy in 5 or 6 words...the privilege of evolution! :err:

Originally posted by FatherVic
the typical saying that you'll get lucky if you get up early (I tried it and I was too sleepy to see if I was lucky!!!)
In spanish that's 'A quien madruga Dios lo ayuda' = 'God helps s/he who gets up at dawn' or something like that, though i just noticed my english dictionary has a totally unrelated translation 'God helps those who help themselves :confused:

As for typical chilean phrases, i can't think of any right now... but i seriously doubt they would be of any use :zzz:

for the catalan / greek expression, in french it is :
Petit à petit, l'oiseau fait son nid
litterally, it would be : Bit by bit, the bird makes his nest
some of the french proberbs are talking about animals, like for exemple : "Il ne faut pas vendre la peau de l'ours avant de l'avoir tuer" who gives : "Don't sell the bear's skin before having killed it
i think his signification is obvious :)

and for the one about morning, in french it is :

Le monde appartient à ceux qui se lèvent tôt
literally in english : The World belongs to those who wake up early

Originally posted by aegis
"Don't sell the bear's skin before having killed it
and for the one about morning, in french it is :
Le monde appartient à ceux qui se lèvent tôt
literally in english : The World belongs to those who wake up early

A] Bears etc: Non dir gatto se non ce l'hai nel sacco

B] Morning?? Only those who wake up early rule the world??
I would never want to subscribe this point of view;)
Morning is made to sleep:cool:

Originally posted by atlantis

A] Bears etc: Non dir gatto se non ce l'hai nel sacco

there is also "non vendere la pelle dell'orso prima di averlo ucciso" (lit. "don't sell the bear's skin before you killed him"), but i don't like it, since i love bears and wouldn't want any harm come to them.

Originally posted by atlantis

Morning is made to sleep:cool:

just leave me alone. ;)

rahvin.

Well, here I go again! We'll follow with that amazing and chupi language: the catalan. Today we'll study a curious expression, see:

"Al pot petit hi ha la bona confitura"

It's an expression for all those have a little thing between his legs, they don't must worry, 'cos the little things are better than the others.

|ngenius (Making his own meanings of catalan expressions)

uhmmmmm following the animal stuff....
Más vale pájaro en mano, que ciento volando!

it's worthier a bird in hand than a hundred fliying...which means....ehmm you know huh?

and despite of the idiocy of |ngenius, the saying he just showed it's normally expressed by those who are small....
in the small container there is kept the best content but strictly it says :"in the small bottle there is the best jam"
oh! yeah....our idiommakers were original huh? :err:

Ôï Ýîõðíï ðïõëß áðü ôç ìýôç ðéÜíåôáé / To e3ypno pouli apo ti myti pianetai

which is translated: "the clever bird is catched by the nose" and means that...that...uh...if you are clever and you know it, it is likely for you to do some stupid mistakes due to your arrogance (or something like that)

isn't cool how many things you will learn by reading the hyperdirty walls at your uni???
that's what i've learned today:
Roja,hijos de puta :lol:
Football sucks
:mad:

i kali mera ap'to proi fainetai..."you can judge from the beginning whether your day will be a good one" (shitty free translation...
and i hate this proverb....:mad: it never works for me,my days are so messy... )

Originally posted by Melancholia
isn't cool how many things you will learn by reading the hyperdirty walls at your uni???
that's what i've learned today:
Roja,hijos de puta :lol:
Football sucks
:mad:

ehmmmm well I don't know what they meant with Roja!
roja = red (but feminine) rojo = red (masc)
so it'd stay Red, sons of a whore :err:
football???? do you have a football team named who are the Reds¿?

sexactly,wise melon :)
the reds are the fans of Olympiakos... the team of Piraeus actually..stupid team,just as stupid as this city....:p
*yaaaaaawn*

oh!!!!! the first time somebody call me sexactly ....
I thought the word was sex addict, or sexy, but sexactly may be fits (or may be not XDDDDDDDD)

fathervic (who won't blush, for one time!)

*curse as much as possible* ;)

• al tiro - right away
  • andar a pata - to walk, to go by foot
  • echar la talla - to joke around, to kid around, echar la chacota
  • quedar chato - to get really drunk
  • hacer una vaca - to pitch in, to collect money
  • mandar un condoro - to make an embarassing mistake or error, fuck up.
  • pasar piola - to remain quiet, to go about unnoticed
E.G. "Ya weon, nos vamo' a pata. Hagamo' una vaca al tiro, nos tomamo' unas chelas y echamos la talla. Si quedai chato y te mandai' un condoro, pasa piola, no'stamos* ni ahí" (*no estamos)

trans. "Dude, we go walking. Let's pitch in right away, we'll have some beers and joke around. If you get drunk and fuck up, it will go unnoticed, we don't care"

Doesn't make much sense but i'm sure i've said something like that before :D

*for the day after*
Andar con la caña: To have a hangover :loco:

Dude, that fine bitch wants to get the hook ups with me!

- excuse me chap, this lass of aspiring age and beauty would care to partake in some tea with me at a formal banquet

Yo, that dude was talking smack, so I popped him one, and the cops got all up in my face!

- this here gentleman was expressing a dislike to myself, I was forced to use a weapon and do away with this vagabond, but alas the bobbys arrived and detained me.....

I was soooooo fucked up a last night dude, and I ended up jumping off my roof into! It was sooo cool......

Oh dear......the other eve I was quite disorientated, it seems i had leaped from the balcony at St Mary Weathers dwelling! It was quite an evening.

:D

Ah, French... it is useful in Quebec too... I know a little bit.

Bonjour, je m'appelle [nom]." - Hi, I am [insert name].

"J'adore toi." - I love you.
I am not even sure if it is correct. :lol:

I wanted to post some Cantonese, but I would just butcher the pronounciation... and I do not know how to write the language, just how to speak most of it... After some searching, I found a site with some useful phrases as a compromise.

BTW--don't go to Hong Kong unless you like rude people, air smoggy from leaded fuel, and houses the size of walk in closets. Visit Canada instead, I will teach you... :D

I only know some american-californian slang...something like "do the happy monkey dance" or "taking the shrimps to tuna town", but I can go wrong, so F_V (and all the California uber alles guys;)) can correct me:)

As for spanish, (it's mexican, though), there's a wonderful "Alguien se chinga cuando trabaja duro para lograr"...cannot get it exactly, but I like the sound....

Yep, you're right atlantis, nobody in Spain will say that phrase (except the inmigrants), is a kind of spanish from South America. I'm not sure if "chinga" has the common meaning in that phrase, but usually "chingar" means "to make sex" and sometimes "fuck" as an insult. Surely astarte can say something about to see it more clear.