your band evolution

Night Reaper

ooo the reaper wants more
Oct 6, 2006
New Brunswick, Canada
age 7,8, the offspring-americana (top 3 album in the world) green day-nimrod
back then i was going to a daycare, and that's what older kids listened to, it had just came out, i have some americana in my dna

age 11,12-ish... blink 182, sum 41, the average normal stuff, even much music, a little bit of metallica, whatever

now 13,14 that's when i started to like metal, lamb of god, iron maiden

CHILDREN OF BOTTOM, I NOW WAS A METAL HEAD trough out high school
saw log and cob live same concert, but ive also liked rock my hole life, led zeppelin, the doors, lynyrd skynyrd, deep purple
then heavier stuff like, the faceless

16-17-18, started doing drugs, mostly pot, got more in to rock, found THE HUMAN ABSTRACT - NOCTURNE(top 3 album in the world)

20,22 + now i listen to everything, mostly rock, i still really like metal but im really fussy about it, i hate happy riffs

ill leave you with this song, fuck it's awesome with headphones

Last edited by a moderator:
Ages 6 - 11: Pretty much just Metallica a whole lot, along with Matchbox 20 (mhm), Primus, Alice in Chains, Green day. I was growing up with this stuff on the radio alot so.

ages 11 - 15: Still Metallica all the time but I also started getting into stuff like Mudvayne, and the Offspring a whole lot, as well as Sum 41.. A bunch of ska bands and punk bands too like Goldfinger, Less than Jake, Authority Zero, and the like.

ages 16 - 18: Metallica was still my favorite band but I started getting into metal much more. Arch Enemy, Shadows Fall, Slipknot (haters gonna hate), Megadeth, Pantera, and the like. I'd started playing guitar around this time so I started getting attracted to much more heavy, shreddy music. Albums like Come Clarity by In Flames and Doomsday Machine by Arch Enemy were coming out. For awhile I'd thought Shadows Fall and Strapping Young Lad were the shit guitar wise. Then probably when I was 17 I think it was I heard Children of Bodom and the shit floored me. I'd heard a few of their older songs such as Black Widow, and Lake Bodom and that was enough for me. My friend got me Tokyo Warhearts and for years they were my favorite band.

18 - 21: The Melodeath era. It was a completely fresh sound to me for a good while and I couldn't get enough of it. I was getting huge into In Flames. I loved pretty much all of their albums, even though the sound was drastically different with each. Still, Artifacts of the Black Rain will always be my favorite. There were also a lot of other bands popping up to me of course. Wintersun floored me the first time I heard it. The first song was Battle Against Time and I was like O_____________O.
Same with They Will Return by Kalmah. There was also Norther, Naildown, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Suidakra, Dark Tranquility, and At The Gates, Equillibrium, and DevilDriver.

On the guitar playing side of it I was getting huge into Paul Gilbert, Yngwie, and Vinnie Moore, Zakk Wylde, Rhoads, and Kiko Loureiro.

There were also alot of shitty american acts going on at the time. Avenged Sevenfold had just released City of Evil and were blowing up, as well as As I Lay Dying, and Such. I never got into any of those bands but also in the same time of Bodom and melodeath I was getting into regular dm a bit. I'd seen Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth, In Flames, TBDM, and Trivium when I was 18. Cannibal and Behemoth were new to me where as the others I'd already listened to quite often. It was quite an experience for me at the time.

21 - 25 (now): 21 was the starting point of alot more death metal for me. Necrophagist, Arsis, and Death were huuuuge influence on me then. I used to listen to Symbolic all the time and it's still a masterpiece in my eyes. Celebration of Guilt and Onset of Putrefaction were pretty fucking sweet too. At around that time melodeath was dying to me. The only band in the genre I'd liked much after that was Kalmah, and I still like them quite a bit.

Korpiklaani, Alestorm, and folk metal are also in there somewhere ;)

22 was pretty much the same, only I got into TBDM alot more, as well as The Faceless, and Arsis still. I'd met my bass player around that time and he was way ahead of me as far as DM goes. He was slowly getting me into bands like Spawn of Possession, and Obscura although they weren't bands I was super in love with right away. Sometime later that year though I saw TBDM, Obscura, and Augury. Every band in that lineup floored me and Obscura reminded me of Death with space-themed songs lol. I remember hearing Incarnated and Universe Momentum, both of which were pretty amazing.

TBDM had just released Deflorate and Ryan Knight had joined them so I was really loving them as well. I still listen to them every now and then.

Then there was Carcass. I'd heard a few songs like Rot N' Roll and Heartwork when I was 20 or 21. At some point though I gave the whole album a listen and pretty much all of my term through school at 22 I would be sitting at my desk blasting Arbeit Mach Fleisch, Doctrinal Expletives, Death Certificate and the like. I can't think of a song off of Heartwork I didn't love.

The above mentioned bands were a huge influence on me for awhile and the sound is still very prevalent in my guitar playing I think.

Arch Enemy had also came out with Rise of the Tyrant a year or two prior to this and I listened to that pretty frequently. I'd developed alot more love for them because they'd evolved alot as musicians. They still are really.

I also loved Lady Gaga ;)

And so it went like that until I was late into 23 and almost 24. Tron Legacy had came out while I was a projectionist at the theater still, and I have to say, that soundtrack through those speakers was fucking amazing. I didn't get tired of hearing it everyday, several times a day for 2 months straight. The movie theater actually opened me up to alot of music and things I'd never have put on otherwise. Marty Robbins, ELO, Lost in the Trees, and even movie score composers like Steve Jablonsky, Clint Mansell, Hans Zimmer, etc.

I was even learning to appreciate video game music much more. I'd been into Powerglove for awhile but Saturday Morning Apocalypse was a mind-blowing album to me. Also the music from Halo 3 and prior. Castle Crashers, Donkey Kong, and Fable. Great stuff.

At 24 I started getting into Ulver quite a bit. Also a LOT of post-rock: God is an Astronaut, Explosions in the Sky, If these Trees could Talk, as well as some more electronic stuff such as Little People.

The death metal end of the spectrum though was heavier than it's ever been for me. Suffocation, Spawn of Possession was finally a band I'd grown to love. Also Defeated Sanity, Gorod, Anata, Gorguts, Cerebral Bore, Origin, Decapitated's Winds of Creation.

Between the Buried and Me, Animals as Leaders, and Agalloch were also huge impacts on me.

I just turned 25 in June and so far I've been listening to alot more electronic stuff and downtempo music.

The bands I'm listening to alot right now are Animals as leaders, Agalloch, BTBAM (still), Psycroptic, The Glitch Mob, Kodomo, Pretty Lights, Odious Mortem, Bonobo, RJD2, Blue Sky Black Death, Ratatat, Cepia, Hot Chip, Long Distance Calling, Emancipator, Blockhead, Scale The Summit, Chimp Spanner, Demisery, Cynic, Born of Osiris' The Discovery album, Sleep Terror, Collapse Under The Empire, The American Dollar, This Will Destroy You, Portal, The Chemical Brothers, Revocation, and that's the most I care to list :p

Mhm.

vague guide

ages very tiny: pretty much late-90s pop and eurodance, as well as brown people music

7: small stint where I liked Iron Maiden

8-10: Eminem, Green Day, Linkin Park

10-12: Slipknot, BFMV, Trivium, COB, Megadeth etc, also start appreciating soundtracks

12: discovered folk, power metal etc. fell in love with Wintersun

13: get into more extreme/weird metal, eg Strapping Young Lad, Behemoth, Keep of Kalessin, Mastodon, Protest the Hero, Emperor, Anaal Nathrakh, Nile, Nevermore

14: start listening to decent amounts of normal people music again, and get into more prog metal; Cynic, Between the Buried and Me, Meshuggah, Periphery

15: start listening to lots of hip-hop again, metal taste gets more expansive, start listening to shittons of dance/club music too

16: now listen to almost everything, including everything I wrote here. Favourite genres divided between extreme metal, political hip-hop and dance/club tracks

5-8 my dads old Sabbath records and ect. My brothers Nirvana and GreenDay CDs.

8-12 Eminem Dre Hiphop yoyoyo, I was a huge loser in middle school :p

13-17 Sabbath, Ozzy, Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth were all my favourites, and anything in between, also massive Rush fan at this point. A little Dub, and electro, inspired by playing tons of Jet Grind Radio. Closer to 16-17 though I was listening to Sonata Arctica, Bodom, Kalmah. Melodeth, and power metal type stuff (lovingly referred to as "Euro-metal")

17-22 I was getting really into Folk metal, which led to me getting really into Black metal. Still in my long hair, being really fat all in black I was at the depths of my Metalfag life at this point lol. Around 19-21 years old I basically listened to viking/black metal, and neofolk exclusively. Not surprising I got really depressed around that time :p. Moonsorrow is still my favourite metal band, love that shit. But Finntroll, Turisas, Moonsorrow, Eluvietie... and about 3498493284932 underground nameless bands I downloaded off 4chan /mu/ at the time. I used to spend time every day looking for new shit there.

22-25 Dance and Electro. Harsh Electro, Dubstep and Dnb. I spend too much time on radios, playlists and ect, so I cant even tell you my favourite artists anymore. Skream, Benga, Netsky, Nero, I dunno... I pretty much get out to a Dub-Dnb show whenever I can. I still love my BM and Viking shit. Old school country has been catching my ear, as well as pop, and some rap. Doing alot of nostalgia lately, metallica and Green Day. I like and listen to almost anything now though.

ah yea, forgot about eminem and my nirvana phase lol

and how could i forget limp bizkit

did any else own one of these ?

New-York-Yankees-Red-MLB-ID1590-Hat.jpg

ah yea, forgot about eminem and my nirvana phase lol

did any else own one these ?

New-York-Yankees-Red-MLB-ID1590-Hat.jpg

Hahaha :lol: yeah that was my treasure in 5th grade :lol: when I was 10/11 "significant other" never left my disc man. School breaks would mean listening to break stuff non stop back then \m/ !!!!!!!!!!!

When you guys say you listenend to green day, does that mean you were a dookie or American idiot type?:p considering that there is quite a gap
between the ages of the members here and that most people I know didnt like them anymore when they released a. idiot

22-25 Dance and Electro. Harsh Electro, Dubstep Skream, Benga, Netsky, Nero, I dunno... I pretty much get out to a Dub-Dnb show whenever I can. I still love my BM and Viking shit. Old school country has been catching my ear, as well as pop, and some rap. Doing alot of nostalgia lately, metallica and Green Day. I like and listen to almost anything now though.
e popping mdma
dippin badass

Hahaha :lol: yeah that was my treasure in 5th grade :lol: when I was 10/11 "significant other" never left my disc man. School breaks would mean listening to break stuff non stop back then m/ !!!!!!!!!!!

When you guys say you listenend to green day, does that mean you were a dookie or American idiot type?:p considering that there is quite a gap
between the ages of the members here and that most people I know didnt like them anymore when they released a. idiot

I got into them with Idiot cause I was 8 then, but I got (and still own) their entire back catalogue, more or less. Dookie was my favourite.

Yeah, it was the Dookie era for me because I'm a little older. By the time American Idiot came out I'd already stopped caring for their stuff. Never owned an NYC hat or listened to Limp Bizkit though :S

Hahaha :lol: yeah that was my treasure in 5th grade :lol: when I was 10/11 "significant other" never left my disc man. School breaks would mean listening to break stuff non stop back then m/ !!!!!!!!!!!

chocolate starfish and the hot dog flavoured water !!!!!!!!!! is really good, it has like 7,8 kick ass songs, perfect to prime yourself

1101962.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\/

Last edited by a moderator:

did any else own one of these ?

I mostly wear TO hats, my one NY is blue :/

I totally forgot aboutM Limp Bizkit too :p, yes they were up there. my mom once found Marshall Mathers LP in my Discman and decided to listen. I was in troouubblle :p They went though my entire music collection. The occult and devil worship was fine as long as they didn't use bad words.

And when It was Dookie/Insomniac I listened to a whole shitload. I didn't like Dookie, and had no interest after that. I started listening to Foo Fighters last year a lot too, as they were my ex's favourite band.