DRIVING MUSIC - Post your top five driving songs of all time...

Oct 17, 2006
I've been compiling 8-Tracks, Cassettes and now CDs for play in the car. Since 1974 when I first turned the key in my 67 Mustang, these are the (5) songs that have received the most amount of drive time....
1 - Deep Purple - Highway Star
2 - Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Call Me) The Breeze
3 - Foghat - Honey Hush
4 - Allman Brothers Band - Ramblin Man
5 - Canned Heat - Amphetamine Annie (Speed Kills)

What are YOUR top 5 driving songs of all time?
PMR

1 - ZZ Top - Gimme All your lovin'
2 - Golden Earring - Radar Love
3 - AC/DC - Highway to Hell
4 - Riot - Road Racin'
5 - Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild

I can't say I have a top 5 but when I have to make a long trek somewhere the first tune I like to pop in when I hit the highway is Sammy Hagar - I can't drive 55. Pretty much sets the mood for a long drive.

Damn that's difficult because I rotate constantly my collection, so everything has been played some time or another at my car.

I guess that because of time frame the most played has been Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden that were the first bands I got into.

I'm an album guy, not a song guy, so I have driving ALBUMS. And I drive alot during the summer months, including one 15 hour stretch in the spring and fall. Here are some of my staples for the long road trips:

Therion - Lemuria/Serius B, Theli
Nikolo Kotzev's Nostradamus
Ayreon - Human Equation
Savatage - Poets, Gutter, Streets
Metallica - Kill 'em All
Rail - Arrival
Fates Warning - Awaken, Spectre

Five songs? You're kidding right?
This is tough, you obviously don't know traffic in Johburg, I can listen through 5 albums in the car on good day.

1) We didn't start the fire - Bily Joel
2) I wanna rock - Twisted Sister
3) Ram it Down - Judast Priest
4) Hellion - Wasp
5) Skeletons of Society - Slayer

All of the above I usally turn a bit louder, especially when my windows are open and traffic is at a stand still.

1 - ZZ Top - Gimme All your lovin'
2 - Golden Earring - Radar Love
3 - AC/DC - Highway to Hell
4 - Riot - Road Racin'
5 - Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild

Knew Radar Love would fall into somebody's top 5 but totally forgot about Born To Be Wild :heh:

I like music that makes me drive faster.:heh:

1.Accept-Metal Heart.
2.Judas Priest- almoust everything
3.Slayer-Raining Blood
4.Savatage-Gutter Ballet

I did almoust hit a tree when i was listening accept.
Danger isn´t it.

In the car, lighter stuff:
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing (THE driving home song)
Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
Judas Priest - Living after Midgnight
Kiss - Detroit Rock City
Deep Purple - Highway Star

...and on the bike, more heavy stuff:
W.A.S.P. - Wild Child (THE riding through the night-song)
Helloween - Ride the Sky
W.A.S.P. - Harder Faster (or the complete Live in the Raw Album)
Accept - Fast as a Shark
Metallica - Motorbreath \,,/

btw: Hi, I'm John, I'm 18, and this is my first post in UM Old School!
Nice thread!

Reactions: Wyvern

I certainly agree on this. Not only a great driving song, but just one of the great rock songs ever. All the early Dire Straits stuff was great. They kind of lost me at the Money for Nothin' period.

Reactions: Klein
Nice thread!

Welcome to the insaniquarium, we post hard and drink light...or the other way around :loco:

Nice songs you mentioned for a young person, good to see the next generation carry on the torch :headbang:

Judas Priest - Painkiller (especially when accelerating fast in heavy traffic)

Skid Row - 18 and Life (when on the highway the chorus of this song fits the
mood perfectly)

Wolf - I Will Kill Again (recently cranked this 1 in the car and it fits the driving "mood")

Metallica - Creeping Death

"Driving", you mean literally? :D

Judas Priest - Hell Bent for Leather
Alice Cooper - Under My Wheels
Helloween - Steel Tormentor
Black Sabbath - Trashed
Running Wild - Freewind Rider

Welcome to the insaniquarium, we post hard and drink light...or the other way around :loco:

Nice songs you mentioned for a young person, good to see the next generation carry on the torch :headbang:

Yeah, well, its a strange story...it started with Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach at 13/14 (I dont consider them real Metal nowadays), then Children of Bodom, In Flames, Arch Enemy, and then lots of Black Metal, searching for the most evil music. Until then, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and ACDC were just "everyone likes them, so I also have to like them" bands, knowing only their 3 most popular songs etc.

But one day, something changed...the search for...evil things/music stopped, and a big desperation began...Bodom, In Flames bored me, and Black Metal made no sense anymore...

and THEN! I looked back to all these "must" bands...Sabbath, ACDC, etc...and I realized that they had what I was looking for! And I didn't see it...years passed without hearing one Sabbath song with Ronny Dio on vocals...what a shame!

So, it was a hard r(h)oad(s) from the Limp Bizkit gig in Vienna at the age of 14, and the W.A.S.P. gig in some weeks ago...(thought I dont like the Rockstar-worshipping Glamrock/metal bands receive, the music kicks ass!)

And the moral of Metal: it doesnt have to be evil, as long as it ROCKS!
(I know thats pretty off-topic, but I thought you'd care)

Oh, and @ Electric Waltz: I discovered Dire Straits while beeing at my fathers house for 3 weeks, without ONE Metal CD, so I listened through his LPs and CDs...do you guys like Johnny Cash? I do!(now) :D

In the car, lighter stuff:
Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
Judas Priest - Living after Midgnight
Kiss - Detroit Rock City
Deep Purple - Highway Star

...and on the bike, more heavy stuff:
W.A.S.P. - Wild Child (THE riding through the night-song)
Helloween - Ride the Sky
W.A.S.P. - Harder Faster (or the complete Live in the Raw Album)
Accept - Fast as a Shark
Metallica - Motorbreath \,,/

Nice thread!

Hi John - Welcome to 'Old Guys' errrrrr... I mean 'Old School' :p Good to see some of the classics being appreciated by today's youth. Dire Straits is great & 'Telegraph Road' still blows me away everytime I hear it.
Welcome aboard!! Come back often & post, post, post...
PMR

I don't have a top 5, but the song that pops into my head whenever I think 'driving song' is always

Kyuss - Green Machine

:kickass:

Yeah, well, its a strange story...it started with Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach at 13/14 (I dont consider them real Metal nowadays), then Children of Bodom, In Flames, Arch Enemy, and then lots of Black Metal, searching for the most evil music. Until then, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and ACDC were just "everyone likes them, so I also have to like them" bands, knowing only their 3 most popular songs etc.

But one day, something changed...the search for...evil things/music stopped, and a big desperation began...Bodom, In Flames bored me, and Black Metal made no sense anymore...

and THEN! I looked back to all these "must" bands...Sabbath, ACDC, etc...and I realized that they had what I was looking for! And I didn't see it...years passed without hearing one Sabbath song with Ronny Dio on vocals...what a shame!

So, it was a hard r(h)oad(s) from the Limp Bizkit gig in Vienna at the age of 14, and the W.A.S.P. gig in some weeks ago...(thought I dont like the Rockstar-worshipping Glamrock/metal bands receive, the music kicks ass!)

Oh, and @ Electric Waltz: I discovered Dire Straits while beeing at my fathers house for 3 weeks, without ONE Metal CD, so I listened through his LPs and CDs...do you guys like Johnny Cash? I do!(now) :D

Thats a great story dude! There are quite a few people here that enjoy the music of Johnny Cash here, me among them.

Welcome to UMOS! Sit back an enjoy yourself. :headbang:

That's a great truth (in bold), very wise my young padowan. Most astounding story indeed, and welcome again to our den of iniquity :saint:

haha, thanks!

The only "problem" with OS Metal is that there are so many bands to discover, I'm not shure if I can give every band the attention it deserves...

And buying all their albums is going to cost alot of money, too...:erk: